    to go that far, the 832S.

    Any other suggestions for 8x DVD writers that have decent CD burning
    speeds? They would also need to be able to be made zone free.

    GraB, Aug 13, 2004

  2. GraB

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:00:59 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >For the second time I find the DVD writer I was about to order,
    >Optowrite DD0405, has been dropped by the firm that still lists them.
    >Previously it was the Cyberdrive unit that Dick Smiths had who dropped
    >it in favour of their lower spec NEC drives.
    >
    >Any thoughts on the Aopen DRW8810, or the Lite-On 812S or, if I decide
    >to go that far, the 832S.
    >
    >Any other suggestions for 8x DVD writers that have decent CD burning
    >speeds? They would also need to be able to be made zone free.

    Have you looked at the MSI model? We've found them to be extremely
    reliable, fast, and also ship with 5.1 versions of DVD watching
    software, whereas most ship with the 2 channel versions, and a pay-for
    upgrade option to the 5.1.

    2c

    Gurble, Aug 13, 2004

  3. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:19:34 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:00:59 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>For the second time I find the DVD writer I was about to order,
    >>Optowrite DD0405, has been dropped by the firm that still lists them.
    >>Previously it was the Cyberdrive unit that Dick Smiths had who dropped
    >>it in favour of their lower spec NEC drives.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts on the Aopen DRW8810, or the Lite-On 812S or, if I decide
    >>to go that far, the 832S.
    >>
    >>Any other suggestions for 8x DVD writers that have decent CD burning
    >>speeds? They would also need to be able to be made zone free.

    >Have you looked at the MSI model? We've found them to be extremely
    >reliable, fast, and also ship with 5.1 versions of DVD watching
    >software, whereas most ship with the 2 channel versions, and a pay-for
    >upgrade option to the 5.1.
    >
    >2c

    Had heard too many reports of MSI not being reliable, but will look at
    them.

    GraB, Aug 13, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:19:34 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:00:59 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>For the second time I find the DVD writer I was about to order,
    >>Optowrite DD0405, has been dropped by the firm that still lists them.
    >>Previously it was the Cyberdrive unit that Dick Smiths had who dropped
    >>it in favour of their lower spec NEC drives.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts on the Aopen DRW8810, or the Lite-On 812S or, if I decide
    >>to go that far, the 832S.
    >>
    >>Any other suggestions for 8x DVD writers that have decent CD burning
    >>speeds? They would also need to be able to be made zone free.

    >Have you looked at the MSI model? We've found them to be extremely
    >reliable, fast, and also ship with 5.1 versions of DVD watching
    >software, whereas most ship with the 2 channel versions, and a pay-for
    >upgrade option to the 5.1.
    >
    >2c

    Out of interest, who is 'we'?

    GraB, Aug 13, 2004
  5. GraB

    Harry Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > For the second time I find the DVD writer I was about to order,
    > Optowrite DD0405, has been dropped by the firm that still lists them.

    I have seen quite a lot of that in NZ.
    For some reason companies like to fill up their web pages
    with all sorts of wonderful products, yet a considerable number of
    the products are not available.

    Aren't there some sort of consumer laws that apply to companies
    that advertise non-existent products?
    Isn't that misleading advertising?

    Worse still, many of them will take your money and then
    tell you that the product isn't available. And even worse is the
    fact that many don't even accept credit cards.

    NZ seems quite backwards when it comes to web transactions.
    And does anyone know why credit card transactions are so difficult
    in NZ? Even the NZ government doesn't seem to want to know
    about them - try renewing your car rego!

    Harry, Aug 13, 2004
  6. GraB

    EMB Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > NZ seems quite backwards when it comes to web transactions.
    > And does anyone know why credit card transactions are so difficult
    > in NZ?

    The banks are playing silly buggers about it. To accept credit cards
    you must sign up for a full merchant account ($$$ per month) even if
    you're using an online 3rd party portal to process the transactions.
    They won't let someone else act as an agent for you and forward the
    funds less a commission either.

    > Even the NZ government doesn't seem to want to know
    > about them - try renewing your car rego!

    I've just rego'd 2 vehicles online with my visa, and for the last 6
    months or so all the LTSA agents have accepted credit cards.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Aug 13, 2004
  7. GraB

    Harry Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >

    >> NZ seems quite backwards when it comes to web transactions.
    >> And does anyone know why credit card transactions are so difficult
    >> in NZ?

    > The banks are playing silly buggers about it. To accept credit cards
    > you must sign up for a full merchant account ($$$ per month) even if
    > you're using an online 3rd party portal to process the transactions.

    How many $ per month? Isn't it just a percentage of transactions?

    Must be a peculiar NZ thing because I don't know of any
    other country which has it quite so bad. But, then again, NZ has
    always had a strange attitude to money.

    > They won't let someone else act as an agent for you and forward the
    > funds less a commission either.
    >
    >> Even the NZ government doesn't seem to want to know
    >> about them - try renewing your car rego!

    > I've just rego'd 2 vehicles online with my visa, and for the last 6
    > months or so all the LTSA agents have accepted credit cards.

    Except my local AA agent.
    Besides, you say for the last 6 months. How many years have credit cards
    been available in NZ? And why has it taken so long?

    Harry, Aug 13, 2004
  8. GraB

    EMB Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > How many $ per month? Isn't it just a percentage of transactions?

    Merchant account is a fixed fee/month (not huge but enough to be a
    nuisance) and IIRC you need a 2nd one to do online transactions even if
    you accept CC via EFTPOS. And then they hook you a % of each
    transaction too.

    > Besides, you say for the last 6 months. How many years have credit cards
    > been available in NZ? And why has it taken so long?

    Infighting over who was going to pay the commission (LTSA or the agent).

    EMB, Aug 13, 2004
  9. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article GraB says...
    > Had heard too many reports of MSI not being reliable, but will look at
    > them.

    Aren't they basically rebadged Optorites?

    colinco, Aug 13, 2004
  10. NZ is a technology backwater. Websites here look amateurish on the whole.

    We are a farming/tourism economy. Thats why.

    Jed Meisterdude, Aug 13, 2004
  11. GraB

    Tim Guest

    Jed,

    There are many excellent web sites - stunning ones.
    There will always be the sites made by the wannabe "I know HTML so I am a
    Programmer".

    But overall, from my experience of shopping online in many countries NZ is
    not behind at all. It is shockingly common to find "small" US companies that
    employ several hundred employees and do many millions a year turnover that
    have the most minimal web presence. In NZ if you had 20 employees you would
    have at least as much online functionality as these US sites.

    Not everyone can afford to put as much effort into a well integrated system
    as Amazon, and not everyone has the foresight to create an online shop. But
    many shy away from an online shop for reasons eluded to previously - the
    failing of the banks to provide a reliable credit card system with
    integrated anti fraud facilitates. As a programmer, I will not touch such
    systems as I know that before I write the first line of code, the shop will
    be up against credit card fraud and there is nothing I can do at the moment
    to stop it. The company owners and managers are often already aware of this
    and don't see it as a priority for that reason.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 13, 2004
  12. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:38:51 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article GraB says...
    >> Had heard too many reports of MSI not being reliable, but will look at
    >> them.
    >>

    >Aren't they basically rebadged Optorites?

    Thanks for keeping to the topic. They might be. The MSI and the
    Optowrite are the only two that I can find that support Sanyo's
    HD-Burn (double capacity on standard CDs).

    Since this afternoon I have been doing a lot of reading online about
    various DVD writers. Conclusion is that it might be a bit soon to go
    for DL DVD writers given the low compatibility of stand-alone players
    to media burnt on DL writers. Even other PC single layer DVD drives
    have problems reading them. Might save my money and go for a LiteOn
    812S though the software bundle isn't flash. I wonder if Nero 5.5
    will work with it?

    While drives like the 812S and others have CD specs of 40x 24x 40x
    the latest 16x Pioneer DVD writer is still way behind in the CD specs.
    One plus for the LiteOn is that they are the same hardware as the Sony
    writers. LiteOn are the OEM suppliers to Sony. I had previously
    heard of someone successfully flashing an 812S with Sony firmware.

    GraB, Aug 13, 2004
  13. GraB

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:39:09 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >>Have you looked at the MSI model? We've found them to be extremely
    >>reliable, fast, and also ship with 5.1 versions of DVD watching
    >>software, whereas most ship with the 2 channel versions, and a pay-for
    >>upgrade option to the 5.1.
    >>
    >>2c

    >Out of interest, who is 'we'?

    "We" are a reasonable sized IT company that, amongst many other
    things, sells and repairs PCs and components.

    We settled on recommending MSI (we sell a number of brands), after
    evaluating a number of different brands based on their reliability,
    reasonable price (they aren't the cheapest or most expensive),
    performance, and software bundle.

    We've sold hundreds (possibly thousands) of MSI drives, and have only
    had one faulty one - and we were suspicious that that one had been
    dropped (in keeping with our policy we replaced it on the spot
    anyway).

    I don't really want to mention the name of the business, as my
    comments and opinions on Usenet are my own and I don't want anyone
    attributing them to my company.

    Gurble, Aug 13, 2004
  14. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article GraB says...
    > One plus for the LiteOn is that they are the same hardware as the Sony
    > writers. LiteOn are the OEM suppliers to Sony. I had previously
    > heard of someone successfully flashing an 812S with Sony firmware.

    What advantage would that bring?

    I think you'll find that MSI has/had a substantial shareholding in
    Optorite hence the tie in.

    Dual layer media makers are still struggling to produce consistant
    quality.

    colinco, Aug 13, 2004
  15. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:22:43 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:39:09 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Have you looked at the MSI model? We've found them to be extremely
    >>>reliable, fast, and also ship with 5.1 versions of DVD watching
    >>>software, whereas most ship with the 2 channel versions, and a pay-for
    >>>upgrade option to the 5.1.
    >>>
    >>>2c

    >>Out of interest, who is 'we'?

    >"We" are a reasonable sized IT company that, amongst many other
    >things, sells and repairs PCs and components.
    >
    >We settled on recommending MSI (we sell a number of brands), after
    >evaluating a number of different brands based on their reliability,
    >reasonable price (they aren't the cheapest or most expensive),
    >performance, and software bundle.
    >
    >We've sold hundreds (possibly thousands) of MSI drives, and have only
    >had one faulty one - and we were suspicious that that one had been
    >dropped (in keeping with our policy we replaced it on the spot
    >anyway).
    >
    >I don't really want to mention the name of the business, as my
    >comments and opinions on Usenet are my own and I don't want anyone
    >attributing them to my company.

    OK they might be reliable but do they DO what people want? Here is a
    quote from a review from this page:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=hardware.view&product=2093

    As befits its lowly price tag, the MSI is middle-of-the-road in almost
    everything it does. As a DVD writer, only the LG and HP drives are
    less impressive. In the DVD-R/+R segment, the Teac was a clear 33
    seconds faster than the MSI, despite costing only £1 more.

    But most potential customers will be looking for strong DVD
    performance and here the DR8-A2 struggles.

    In most respects the MSI has little to recommend it over the other
    drives apart from its low price.

    At
    http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=224&page=Performance

    it gets a poor rating for error correction. I definitely want good
    error correction.

    Out of all the reviews I have read the drive with the best error
    correction, ability to read scratched and dirty discs, was the
    Cyberdrive, which Dick Smiths have dropped.

    The MSI drive tempted me as I like the HD-Burn feature but I value
    good ability to read low quality media more.

    GraB, Aug 13, 2004
  16. GraB

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:33:14 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >OK they might be reliable but do they DO what people want? Here is a
    >quote from a review from this page:
    >http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=hardware.view&product=2093
    >
    >As befits its lowly price tag, the MSI is middle-of-the-road in almost
    >everything it does. As a DVD writer, only the LG and HP drives are
    >less impressive. In the DVD-R/+R segment, the Teac was a clear 33
    >seconds faster than the MSI, despite costing only £1 more.
    >
    >But most potential customers will be looking for strong DVD
    >performance and here the DR8-A2 struggles.
    >
    >In most respects the MSI has little to recommend it over the other
    >drives apart from its low price.
    >
    >At
    >http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=224&page=Performance
    >
    >it gets a poor rating for error correction. I definitely want good
    >error correction.
    >
    >Out of all the reviews I have read the drive with the best error
    >correction, ability to read scratched and dirty discs, was the
    >Cyberdrive, which Dick Smiths have dropped.
    >
    >The MSI drive tempted me as I like the HD-Burn feature but I value
    >good ability to read low quality media more.

    The interesting thing about reviews, is that there are always two
    sides to every story, and different reviews give different opinions.

    Basically, when the MSI drive came out it was regarded as near the
    best in it's class. It won several "editor's choice" and "recommended"
    awards, and was still getting generally good praise overall:

    http://compreviews.about.com/library/weekly/aafpr-MSIDR8A2.htm

    "Overall the MSI DR8-A2 is a very respectable DVD burner. It was able
    to burn each of the main recordable media types at the specification
    speeds. It does have a few drawbacks with its slow spin-up times and
    the quirky CPU usage for DVD-R media, but for the price of this drive,
    it is hard not to go for a dual 8x DVD burner over high-speed
    dedicated CD burners."

    I'm also pretty sure the DVD-R issue was resolved via a firmware
    update, too.

    Whilst it is true that many other manufacturers caught up, and in some
    cases overtook the DR8-A2, in my opinion (and our own testing and
    benchmarking) few offered the consistency, reliability, and features
    of the DR8A2, and especially at the price. The other thing of note is
    that we deal largely with the corporate, education, and SME markets,
    where reliability has a higher priority than performance (which still
    has a higher priority - ie reliability not at the exclusion of
    performance).

    Good point above re: reading of damaged disks - the LG was best in our
    tests in this regard.

    However, most of the issues some review sites have raised are
    regarding the fact that some drives are 15-30 seconds faster to write
    a DVD, and the MSI has a slower spinup time. This has been addressed
    in their new DR12-A model, which is a 12x drive that has just replaced
    the 8x model, and for around the same price (about $10-$20 more at
    this point). Unfortunately there do not appear to be any online
    reviews as yet, other than a pre-release review at Anandtech which
    doesn't really count. We have not tested it either as yet, so I can't
    personally recommend for or against it, but I would expect that it
    would again propel MSI to the higher end of the spectrum.

    If you really want the CyberDrive, I can see if we can still get our
    hands on them. We were very unimpressed with their CD Writers, though.
    We were doing them for a while a year or so ago, and had a higher than
    acceptable rate of returns. I'll let you know, but I think the NZ
    distributor might have dropped them shortly after Dick Smith started
    stocking them (could be wrong, though).

    Gurble, Aug 13, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...

    > >>Out of interest, who is 'we'?

    > >"We" are a reasonable sized IT company that, amongst many other
    > >things, sells and repairs PCs and components.
    > >
    > >We settled on recommending MSI (we sell a number of brands), after
    > >evaluating a number of different brands based on their reliability,
    > >reasonable price (they aren't the cheapest or most expensive),
    > >performance, and software bundle.
    > >
    > >We've sold hundreds (possibly thousands) of MSI drives, and have only
    > >had one faulty one - and we were suspicious that that one had been
    > >dropped (in keeping with our policy we replaced it on the spot
    > >anyway).
    > >
    > >I don't really want to mention the name of the business, as my
    > >comments and opinions on Usenet are my own and I don't want anyone
    > >attributing them to my company.

    > OK they might be reliable but do they DO what people want? Here is a
    > quote from a review from this page:
    > http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=hardware.view&product=2093
    >
    > As befits its lowly price tag, the MSI is middle-of-the-road in almost
    > everything it does. As a DVD writer, only the LG and HP drives are
    > less impressive. In the DVD-R/+R segment, the Teac was a clear 33
    > seconds faster than the MSI, despite costing only £1 more.
    >
    > But most potential customers will be looking for strong DVD
    > performance and here the DR8-A2 struggles.
    >
    > In most respects the MSI has little to recommend it over the other
    > drives apart from its low price.
    >
    > At
    > http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=224&page=Performance
    >
    > it gets a poor rating for error correction. I definitely want good
    > error correction.
    >
    > Out of all the reviews I have read the drive with the best error
    > correction, ability to read scratched and dirty discs, was the
    > Cyberdrive, which Dick Smiths have dropped.

    Cyberdrive overall are about par with BTC. Not recommended.

    Personally I'd buy an Asus.

    --
    "Marriage is a lifelong covenant commitment between
    a man and a woman.

    This foundation provides the best possible
    environment to raise our children."

    See http://www.maxim.org.nz/civilunions.html

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 13, 2004
  18. GraB

    GraB Guest

    >However, most of the issues some review sites have raised are
    >regarding the fact that some drives are 15-30 seconds faster to write
    >a DVD, and the MSI has a slower spinup time. This has been addressed
    >in their new DR12-A model, which is a 12x drive that has just replaced
    >the 8x model, and for around the same price (about $10-$20 more at
    >this point). Unfortunately there do not appear to be any online
    >reviews as yet, other than a pre-release review at Anandtech which
    >doesn't really count. We have not tested it either as yet, so I can't
    >personally recommend for or against it, but I would expect that it
    >would again propel MSI to the higher end of the spectrum.
    >
    >If you really want the CyberDrive, I can see if we can still get our
    >hands on them. We were very unimpressed with their CD Writers, though.
    >We were doing them for a while a year or so ago, and had a higher than
    >acceptable rate of returns. I'll let you know, but I think the NZ
    >distributor might have dropped them shortly after Dick Smith started
    >stocking them (could be wrong, though).

    I hope to come to a decision early in the week as I have been without
    a writer of any kind, sold my Ricoh CD writer with my old K6-2 550.
    You don't realise how handy they were until you don't have one. It
    seems the Lite-On 832S, Dual Layer burner, has improved in general
    performance over the 812S so perhaps the DR12-A will do likewise over
    the DR8-A2, which was based on an earlier Optowrite DD0401. It was
    the Optowrite DD0405 I was hoping to buy. I happen to like the
    HD-Burn feature that the MSI and Optowrite drives have so will have
    another look at MSI. One would imagine there will be RPC1 firmware
    for them soon enough. In that regard the Lite-Ons were easy with the
    LtnRPC.exe utility. It appears the DR12-A can write to DVD-RAM too,
    going by the specs on the table near the top of
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2125
    But the DVDInfoPro tool info seems to say otherwise.

    It will be interesting to see how much they sell for considering the
    high price of the technically similar Plextor 712A, which, also using
    the same Sanyo chip, also has HD-Burn but called GigaRec. But the
    Plextor unit has an 8meg buffer to the MSI's 2meg.

    The company I was going to get the Optowrite DD0405 from dropped them
    because they said there were too many returns and the MSI are based on
    the Optowrites, so I hope there is an improvement in reliability, as
    you say there is, with MSI.

    Will pass on the Cyberdrive, a bit of an unknown quantity now since
    they dropped off the radar.

    I am of the mind to go for the proven and reasonably capable Lite-On
    812S. Perhaps later, when other technologies mature I might
    reconsider. This quote from the above URL:
    "In our reading and seek time tests, the DR12-A comes out a very fast
    burner. Unfortunately, we fear that these fast reads may not represent
    high quality reading. If the benchmarks on the previous pages are any
    indication, the DR12-A probably has some issues reading discs
    correctly with this firmware."

    GraB, Aug 14, 2004
  19. GraB

    max barwell Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:00:59 +1200, GraB wrote:

    snip

    > Any thoughts on the Aopen DRW8810, or the Lite-On 812S or, if I decide
    > to go that far, the 832S.

    snap

    I have the Lite-On 812S, I reckon it rules, really fast, reliable, lots of
    firmware available, easy to make region free, I have read mixed reviews of
    it, but i havent had any problems, and I would recommend it. Thing is I
    dont know if you could still buy one, probably have to be the 1213s if you
    didnt go for the 832s.

    regards, max

    max barwell, Aug 14, 2004
  20. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:00:51 +1200, max barwell
    <maxb@*nospam*paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:00:59 +1200, GraB wrote:
    >
    >snip
    >
    >> Any thoughts on the Aopen DRW8810, or the Lite-On 812S or, if I decide
    >> to go that far, the 832S.

    >snap
    >
    >I have the Lite-On 812S, I reckon it rules, really fast, reliable, lots of
    >firmware available, easy to make region free, I have read mixed reviews of
    >it, but i havent had any problems, and I would recommend it. Thing is I
    >dont know if you could still buy one, probably have to be the 1213s if you
    >didnt go for the 832s.
    >
    >regards, max

    They seem to be on many NZ supplier's price lists still. I think I
    will be going for one.

    GraB, Aug 14, 2004