    stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
    before I jump up and down on this machine :)

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Rider" wrote
    > Any help is appreciated
    > before I jump up and down on this machine :)

    <linux advocate hat> install Linux </linux advocate>

    T.N.O., Oct 1, 2003

  3. Rider

    Keith Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote:
    >AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
    >
    >I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
    >
    >I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc. I've
    >run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
    >system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
    >stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
    >before I jump up and down on this machine :)

    Have you tried MSCONFIG? Go to Start|Run and type in "msconfig". Then have a look at all the StartUp stuff.

    Keith, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Rider

    Terry Robb Guest

    Have you checked the startup folder and the registry. The registry is (from
    memory) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, also a
    runservices nearby. All programs in these locations run at startup.
    Have you possibly installed a anti-virus scanner which may be trying to get
    an update as windows starts (thereby starting the dial-up window).

    Terry...

    Terry Robb, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
    >
    > I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
    >
    > I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc.

    I've
    > run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
    > system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
    > stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
    > before I jump up and down on this machine :)
    >
    > Rider

    A virus most likely. Check the task manager for a clue to what's running.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2003
  6. On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:44:23 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
    >
    >I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.

    If all else fails:

    Go to www.kerio.com
    Download the Personal Firewall

    Install it, and it'll pop up telling you what app wants to access the
    internet.

    Then either:
    1. Keep the firewall installed, blocking that application
    2. Uninstall the firewall, and disable that application.

    Have fun

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
    >
    > I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
    >
    > I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc.

    I've
    > run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
    > system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
    > stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
    > before I jump up and down on this machine :)
    >
    > Rider

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
    been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for this
    dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.

    Quite odd.

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003
  8. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Rider" wrote
    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
    > been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for this
    > dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.

    If you have Zonealarm, it can bring up a dial up connection before logon...

    T.N.O., Oct 1, 2003
  9. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" wrote
    > > Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
    > > been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for

    this
    > > dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.

    > If you have Zonealarm, it can bring up a dial up connection before

    logon...

    Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine :(

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003
  10. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Rider" wrote
    > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine :(

    Anything important on it?
    Format, re-install... start fresh, and make note of what is installed, the
    dates etc.

    T.N.O., Oct 1, 2003
  11. "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > "Rider" wrote
    > > > Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It

    has
    > > > been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for

    > this
    > > > dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.

    > > If you have Zonealarm, it can bring up a dial up connection before

    > logon...
    > >

    > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine :(

    There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
    Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

    Olson Johnson, Oct 1, 2003
  12. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" wrote
    > > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine :(

    > Anything important on it?
    > Format, re-install... start fresh, and make note of what is installed, the
    > dates etc.

    I've just made a backup of their hdd. I'm gonna uninstall one program at a
    time until I know which one is fukking with me LOL

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003
  13. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > > "Rider" wrote

    > has

    for
    > > this
    > > >
    > > > If you have Zonealarm, it can bring up a dial up connection before

    > > logon...
    > > >

    > > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine :(
    > >

    > There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
    > Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

    I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one of
    those up, surely.

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003
  14. "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    It
    > > has

    > for
    > > > this

    > > > logon...
    > > > >

    > > > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine :(
    > > >

    > > There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
    > > Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > >

    > I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one of
    > those up, surely.

    Maybe
    But you are asking for suggestions here.
    It might be worth looking in the registry

    Olson Johnson, Oct 1, 2003
  15. Rider

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Rider" <> wrote in message

    those.
    > It
    > > > has

    except
    > > for

    > > > There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
    > > > Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
    > > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > > >

    > > I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one

    of
    > > those up, surely.
    > >

    > Maybe
    > But you are asking for suggestions here.
    > It might be worth looking in the registry

    searched the registry for RNAPP , nothing :(
    Thanks

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003
  16. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > I'll vote for ZA trying to update itself.

    It hasn't got ZA installed on the machine, but your vote is noted :)

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003
  17. Rider

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Oct 1, 2003
  18. Rider

    bt Guest

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:39:08 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
    >been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for this
    >dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.
    >
    >Quite odd.

    Not something as stupid as a shortcut in the startup folder or
    something is it ?

    Given the preposterous proportions of your previous spyware
    infestation (585 items), it's likly one of them is not as uninstalled
    as ad aware thinks. Try spybot search and destroy too. Between the
    both of them you might get all these f'ing things...

    Also, try 'BHO Helper' IIRC - browser helper objects. Browser add ons.
    You might have a new one that adaware/spybot doesn't know about. BHO
    should let you delete these f'ing things too.

    Also there is Process Explorer. This handy utility allows you to see
    what files your processes have open. This might give you a clue.

    Not some stupid 'product registration' crap from some app is it ?

    If all of that is done and the problem still exists, there is only one
    Final Solution:

    Take one dead chicken. Taking off your clothes, dance anti-clockwise
    around problem machine, shaking dead chicken and chanting.

    Sprinkle chicken blood over computer, and leave a bottle of rum and a
    candle next to the computer for one day.

    This should cure the problem. If it does not, do the same thing again
    but add a human skull and then format and reinstall windows.

    Guaranteed.

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Oct 1, 2003
  19. Rider

    bt Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:56:24 +1200, bt <>
    wrote:

    >If all of that is done and the problem still exists, there is only one
    >Final Solution:
    >
    >Take one dead chicken. Taking off your clothes, dance anti-clockwise
    >around problem machine, shaking dead chicken and chanting.
    >
    >Sprinkle chicken blood over computer, and leave a bottle of rum and a
    >candle next to the computer for one day.
    >
    >This should cure the problem. If it does not, do the same thing again
    >but add a human skull and then format and reinstall windows.
    >
    >Guaranteed.

    I'd just like to add that this is part of the Industry Standards that
    Gavin Tunney has finally supplied me with. It is a fully vetted and
    standard proceedure that all Trained Professionals and Qualified
    Mainframe Engineers know.

    I just hope I am not kicked out of the Freemasons for divulging this
    to the mensch ;)

    Brendan (Avatar)

    bt, Oct 1, 2003
  20. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "bt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:39:08 +1200, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
    > >been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for

    this
    > >dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.
    > >
    > >Quite odd.

    > Not something as stupid as a shortcut in the startup folder or
    > something is it ?

    LOL I wish

    > Given the preposterous proportions of your previous spyware
    > infestation (585 items), it's likly one of them is not as uninstalled
    > as ad aware thinks. Try spybot search and destroy too. Between the
    > both of them you might get all these f'ing things...
    >
    > Also, try 'BHO Helper' IIRC - browser helper objects. Browser add ons.
    > You might have a new one that adaware/spybot doesn't know about. BHO
    > should let you delete these f'ing things too.
    >
    > Also there is Process Explorer. This handy utility allows you to see
    > what files your processes have open. This might give you a clue.
    >
    > Not some stupid 'product registration' crap from some app is it ?

    Would be nice if it was

    > If all of that is done and the problem still exists, there is only one
    > Final Solution:
    >
    > Take one dead chicken. Taking off your clothes, dance anti-clockwise
    > around problem machine, shaking dead chicken and chanting.
    >
    > Sprinkle chicken blood over computer, and leave a bottle of rum and a
    > candle next to the computer for one day.
    >
    > This should cure the problem. If it does not, do the same thing again
    > but add a human skull and then format and reinstall windows.
    >
    > Guaranteed.

    Damnit, I thought it was supposed to be turkey, not a chicken. Damnit ...
    gotta do it all over again. Was I wrong to do it in the main shopfront
    window? :$

    Thanks for the help, will try those

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 1, 2003