    registration etc.? Too cheap to pay.

    Also too lazy to search endless sites offered up by Google, or to complete
    this sentan
    Paul in Australia, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Paul in Australia

    loopback Guest

    And also too lazy to tell us what OS.....it would help.

    Cheers,

    Jose
    MCSA, Network+, A+

    loopback, Dec 28, 2005

  3. "loopback" <> wrote in message
    > And also too lazy to tell us what OS.....it would help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jose
    > MCSA, Network+, A+

    It's a data partition, so I didn't think it would really matter. Also too
    embarrased to say.

    It's (gulpp) Win 98SE.

    Well, someone has to keep it in use, don't they? Also too cheap to upgrade I
    s'pose.
    Paul in Australia, Dec 28, 2005

  4. >
    > I'm still working with Win98SE when the need arises, especially for older
    > applications and games. I have my system configured for
    > multibooting-Win98SE, Win2k, and WinXP (I may in the future add Linux).
    > Win98SE is going to be on my system for many years to come.

    Just don't Defrag.
    Paul in Australia, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Paul in Australia

    news.cox.net Guest

    Did you tried scandisk from a boot disk?
    news.cox.net, Dec 29, 2005
  6. Paul in Australia

    AG Guest

    The best tool that I know of to do this type of thing is SpinRite, which is
    rather expensive. The problem with finding free programs is that software
    writers know that people will pay for that type of software.
    My second suggestion would be to find a version of Norton System Works and
    boot from that. It's disk repair program is pretty good.
    SpinRite is available from www.grc.com and maybe you can find system works
    in someone's desk drawer or something.

    AG

    AG, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Paul in Australia

    AG Guest

    I know that. But he needs to recover the disk first and SpinWrite should be
    able to do the job.
    Defragging is a totally different thing and should be done through with a
    Windows based program, otherwise he could lose all of his long file names.
    First he needs to recover his data. Defrag is outside the conversation for
    now.

    AG

    AG, Dec 31, 2005
  8. Paul in Australia

    J. Clarke Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> This happens, sometimes, unfortunately. Never defrag a partition that
    >> isn't backed up. When a defrag fails, there usually is no hope of data
    >> recovery, because the defrag program was moving sectors around all over
    >> the disk. The risk of this happening, while not great, isn't
    >> insignificant, it's happened to me several times in the past 20 years.
    >>

    > You were defragging hard drives in 1985? =)~

    Why would he not be?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Dec 31, 2005
  9. Thanks everyone.

    I know most free software is crap, but so is most non-free software.

    I don't wanna buy something that doesn't work, I'd rather just download
    something that doesn't work.

    I'm not without a backup, but you always loose something (unless you can
    backup by the minute), and I'd been working hard on some songs. I'm a muso
    now since the Aplus certificate turned out to be about as useful as a
    one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest.

    Why did I defrag?? I was sick last week so I thought the computer could be
    doing something useful while I wasn't.

    At least I wasn't Defragging someone else's computer!

    Remeber Yul Brynner's dying words, "Vot ever you do, Don't Defrag!"

    Also Hard Drive's were operated with the help of steam-driven horses in
    1985.
    Paul in Australia, Jan 1, 2006