Damaged JPG Suggestions for recovery. Thumbnail o.k. unreadable.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Huber, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. Dave  Huber

    Dave Huber Guest

    Hello,

    I recently had a problem with my Canon S400's memory card door
    interrupting power during saves, causing corrupted files.

    One such file I cannot recover. I have tried Zero Assumption
    Recovery's tool, which worked on others, to no avail.

    I can view a thumbnail of the file o.k. However, I cannot open it with
    any viewer I have tried.
    When I try to open it, I can see just the first 1/16th or less of the
    very top of the picture.
    The file is a little big, compared to others, about 2.4 MB as opposed
    to almost exaclty 2MB for other files from the camera.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave Huber, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Hello Dave,
    I have had similar problems and found that there is no one best recovery
    programme. sometimes one works, another time a different one.
    Recovermyfiles is pretty good most of the time.

    Hope this helps,
    Geoff.

    Geoff. Hayward, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Dave  Huber

    Martin Brown Guest

    Re: Damaged JPG Suggestions for recovery. Thumbnail o.k. unreadable.

    Dave Huber wrote:

    > I recently had a problem with my Canon S400's memory card door
    > interrupting power during saves, causing corrupted files.
    >
    > One such file I cannot recover. I have tried Zero Assumption
    > Recovery's tool, which worked on others, to no avail.
    >
    > I can view a thumbnail of the file o.k. However, I cannot open it with
    > any viewer I have tried.

    Thumbnail is small and in the header, it usually survives no matter
    what happens to the rest of the file. This is why you should slideshow
    the main images to check them before deleting the originals from media.
    Thumbnails are no indication of the main JPEG file integrity.

    > When I try to open it, I can see just the first 1/16th or less of the
    > very top of the picture.

    That is characteristic of a damaged JPEG stream. It might be
    recoverable manually but it is usually not economic unless the image is
    irreplaceable or has commercial value.

    > The file is a little big, compared to others, about 2.4 MB as opposed
    > to almost exaclty 2MB for other files from the camera.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    If you send me a copy privately I can quickly tell you if the image
    could be recovered.

    It is worth checking that the bad file is not easily compressed by ZIP.
    If it is compressible by more than 10% then all hope is lost and the
    file contains mostly blank junk.

    Moral of story don't eject media whilst a write cycle is in progress.
    This is all too common with press photographers in the heat of the
    moment.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    (my unlikely looking from address is valid)

    Martin Brown, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Re: Damaged JPG Suggestions for recovery. Thumbnail o.k. unreadable.

    "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in

    > Dave Huber wrote:
    >>
    >> I recently had a problem with my Canon S400's memory card door
    >> interrupting power during saves, causing corrupted files.
    >>
    >> One such file I cannot recover. I have tried Zero Assumption
    >> Recovery's tool, which worked on others, to no avail.

    If the data never was written to the card, there is no reason to expect
    _anything_ to work. See it like this: you take a pic of your grand-mother:
    the pixels of her face don't make it to the card because you removed it.
    How should the recovery program guess how grandma looks like?

    > the main images to check them before deleting the originals from media.
    > Thumbnails are no indication of the main JPEG file integrity.

    Correct.

    > That is characteristic of a damaged JPEG stream. It might be
    > recoverable manually but it is usually not economic unless the image is
    > irreplaceable or has commercial value.

    Yup. Manual recovery, for example for partially overwritten file or stuck
    data lines is only worth the trouble for criminal stuff, plane crashes,
    etc...

    > It is worth checking that the bad file is not easily compressed by ZIP.
    > If it is compressible by more than 10% then all hope is lost and the
    > file contains mostly blank junk.

    Agreed, with some caveats in some circumstances: when the data made it to
    the card in the first place and can't be read properly, trying another card
    reader is always a good move.

    Pierre/PhotoRescue

    Pierre Vandevennne, Oct 24, 2006