damaged file allocation table

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ashaw8@gmail.com, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
    The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
    Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.

    I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
    "optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
    morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
    the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".

    I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
    so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
    "Fixboot d" command. The message coming back said new boot files were
    successfully created, as FAT rather than the original NTFS. But when I
    try to access the drive with Windows Explorer it shows no files, no
    bites.

    Before I try something else and mess things up more, I would appreciate
    some wise advice. I can find the drive using System Information, and
    below is the readout I get. Looks like partition confusion. Ideas? I
    appreciate your help!

    Drive D:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed False
    File System FAT
    Size 10.10 MB (10,592,256 bytes)
    Free Space 12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)
    Volume Name LOCAL DISK
    Volume Serial Number Not Available
    Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
    Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)
    Starting Offset 32256 bytes
    Drive Description Disk drive
    Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
    Drive Model ST3200822A
    Drive BytesPerSector 512
    Drive MediaLoaded True
    Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
    Drive Partitions 1
    Drive SCSIBus 0
    Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
    Drive SCSIPort 1
    Drive SCSITargetId 1
    Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
    Drive Size 137436203520 bytes
    Drive TotalCylinders 16709
    Drive TotalSectors 268430085
    Drive TotalTracks 4260795
    Drive TracksPerCylinder 255

    , Sep 30, 2005

  2. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
    |> The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
    |>Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
    |>
    |>I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
    |>"optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
    |>morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
    |>the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".

    Download and Burn this Hiren's BootCD ISO
    http://www.9down.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2979
    Boot up with it, should be something that can help you out.

    If you've just happen'd to of saved the boot sector of that drive you
    might copy it to the drive (tools on the CD to do this)
    Or http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q153973

    --
    eDonkey Tells Congress It's Throwing in the Towel
    http://tinyurl.com/dattt

    Trax, Sep 30, 2005

  3. Fred Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
    > The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
    > Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
    >
    > I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
    > "optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
    > morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
    > the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".
    >
    > I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
    > so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
    > "Fixboot d" command. The message coming back said new boot files were
    > successfully created, as FAT rather than the original NTFS. But when I
    > try to access the drive with Windows Explorer it shows no files, no
    > bites.
    >
    > Before I try something else and mess things up more, I would appreciate
    > some wise advice. I can find the drive using System Information, and
    > below is the readout I get. Looks like partition confusion. Ideas? I
    > appreciate your help!
    >
    > Drive D:
    > Description Local Fixed Disk
    > Compressed False
    > File System FAT
    > Size 10.10 MB (10,592,256 bytes)
    > Free Space 12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)
    > Volume Name LOCAL DISK
    > Volume Serial Number Not Available
    > Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
    > Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)
    > Starting Offset 32256 bytes
    > Drive Description Disk drive
    > Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
    > Drive Model ST3200822A
    > Drive BytesPerSector 512
    > Drive MediaLoaded True
    > Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
    > Drive Partitions 1
    > Drive SCSIBus 0
    > Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
    > Drive SCSIPort 1
    > Drive SCSITargetId 1
    > Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
    > Drive Size 137436203520 bytes
    > Drive TotalCylinders 16709
    > Drive TotalSectors 268430085
    > Drive TotalTracks 4260795
    > Drive TracksPerCylinder 255

    And where is your backup?

    Fred, Sep 30, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.

    > I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag

    Profesional implies that you know what you are doing.
    See highlighted items below.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 30, 2005
  5. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
    > The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
    > Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
    >
    > I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
    > "optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
    > morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
    > the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".
    >
    > I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
    > so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
    > "Fixboot d" command.

    <snip>

    Why would you do that...
    you are booting from your C: drive ?

    If the data is important , then you would have backed it up.
    If you did not bother to make a backup...the data was not that important.

    Anyway...it's time to use a data recovery utility...
    many of them have a free trial

    philo, Sep 30, 2005
  6. Guest

    > Anyway...it's time to use a data recovery utility...
    > many of them have a free trial

    True but the trials usually only locate data but refuse to restore it.
    Here is a little collection of some totally free data recovery tools. I
    would start with NTFS Reader.

    http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    , Sep 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    Thanks, Trax. I dl'd it and will look for a solution there this
    weekend. I will let you know.
    Trax wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
    > |> The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
    > |>Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
    > |>
    > |>I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
    > |>"optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
    > |>morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
    > |>the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".
    >

    > Download and Burn this Hiren's BootCD ISO
    > http://www.9down.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2979
    > Boot up with it, should be something that can help you out.
    >
    > If you've just happen'd to of saved the boot sector of that drive you
    > might copy it to the drive (tools on the CD to do this)
    > Or http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q153973
    >

    > |>I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
    > |>so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
    > |>"Fixboot d" command. The message coming back said new boot files were
    > |>successfully created, as FAT rather than the original NTFS. But when I
    > |>try to access the drive with Windows Explorer it shows no files, no
    > |>bites.
    > |>
    > |>Before I try something else and mess things up more, I would appreciate
    > |>some wise advice. I can find the drive using System Information, and
    > |>below is the readout I get. Looks like partition confusion. Ideas? I
    > |>appreciate your help!
    > |>
    > |>Drive D:
    > |>Description Local Fixed Disk
    > |>Compressed False
    > |>File System FAT
    > |>Size 10.10 MB (10,592,256 bytes)
    > |>Free Space 12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)
    > |>Volume Name LOCAL DISK
    > |>Volume Serial Number Not Available
    > |>Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
    > |>Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)
    > |>Starting Offset 32256 bytes
    > |>Drive Description Disk drive
    > |>Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
    > |>Drive Model ST3200822A
    > |>Drive BytesPerSector 512
    > |>Drive MediaLoaded True
    > |>Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
    > |>Drive Partitions 1
    > |>Drive SCSIBus 0
    > |>Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
    > |>Drive SCSIPort 1
    > |>Drive SCSITargetId 1
    > |>Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
    > |>Drive Size 137436203520 bytes
    > |>Drive TotalCylinders 16709
    > |>Drive TotalSectors 268430085
    > |>Drive TotalTracks 4260795
    > |>Drive TracksPerCylinder 255
    >

    > --
    > eDonkey Tells Congress It's Throwing in the Towel
    > http://tinyurl.com/dattt

    , Oct 1, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > Thanks, Trax. I dl'd it and will look for a solution there this
    > weekend. I will let you know.
    > Trax wrote:

    I don't recall seeing results of an fdisk.
    What do you see if you fdisk and view the drive?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Oct 1, 2005