    and do it.

    B..... Mac's

    Paul
    PeeCee, May 4, 2011

  2. PeeCee

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    > Had to connect a Mac to a shared network printer this morning.
    >
    > The instructions say:
    > Finder
    > Go
    > Utilities
    > "double-click Printer Setup Utility"
    >

    > Where the godam F... is the "Printer Setup Utility" ?
    > (OSX 10.5.8) (http://support.apptle.com/kb/HT2495)
    >

    > Left the owner with the message to get her 'IT Expert husband" to come
    > and do it.
    >
    > B..... Mac's

    LOL, I know how you feel Paul. I just won't even touch them anymore. (It's
    not like I'm getting paid anyway...)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, May 4, 2011

  3. PeeCee

    David Empson Guest

    Re: Damn Macs

    PeeCee <> wrote:

    > Had to connect a Mac to a shared network printer this morning.
    >
    > The instructions say:
    > Finder
    > Go
    > Utilities
    > "double-click Printer Setup Utility"
    >
    > Where the godam F... is the "Printer Setup Utility" ?
    > (OSX 10.5.8) (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2495)

    The Mac hasn't had a "Printer Setup Utility" in that location for
    several system versions. If memory serves, it was there in Mac OS X 10.4
    and earlier.

    I'd say that Apple didn't correctly update that particular page for
    10.5, or some bad editing resulted in the 10.5 instructions being lost
    when they were merged back into the instructions for 10.4 and earlier.
    I've sent them some feedback suggesting they correct it.

    The right instructions for 10.5 are here:

    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9031.html

    In short, network printing setup was merged into the standard Add
    Printer mechanism in 10.5, rather than requiring a separate utility.

    Not mentioned there, but you can also add a printer by going into System
    Preferences > Print & Fax and clicking the "+" button at the bottom of
    the list.

    > Left the owner with the message to get her 'IT Expert husband" to come
    > and do it.
    >
    > B..... Mac's

    More like bad editing of one page on Apple's web site.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, May 4, 2011
  4. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Re: Damn Macs

    On 4/05/2011 6:58 p.m., David Empson wrote:
    > PeeCee<> wrote:
    >
    >> Had to connect a Mac to a shared network printer this morning.
    >>
    >> The instructions say:
    >> Finder
    >> Go
    >> Utilities
    >> "double-click Printer Setup Utility"
    >>
    >> Where the godam F... is the "Printer Setup Utility" ?
    >> (OSX 10.5.8) (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2495)

    > The Mac hasn't had a "Printer Setup Utility" in that location for
    > several system versions. If memory serves, it was there in Mac OS X 10.4
    > and earlier.
    >
    > I'd say that Apple didn't correctly update that particular page for
    > 10.5, or some bad editing resulted in the 10.5 instructions being lost
    > when they were merged back into the instructions for 10.4 and earlier.
    > I've sent them some feedback suggesting they correct it.
    >
    > The right instructions for 10.5 are here:
    >
    > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9031.html
    >
    > In short, network printing setup was merged into the standard Add
    > Printer mechanism in 10.5, rather than requiring a separate utility.
    >
    > Not mentioned there, but you can also add a printer by going into System
    > Preferences> Print& Fax and clicking the "+" button at the bottom of
    > the list.
    >
    >> Left the owner with the message to get her 'IT Expert husband" to come
    >> and do it.
    >>
    >> B..... Mac's

    > More like bad editing of one page on Apple's web site.

    Thanks for that David, I've printed it out and will try again.

    P.
    PeeCee, May 4, 2011
  5. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 4/05/2011 6:22 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    >> Had to connect a Mac to a shared network printer this morning.
    >>
    >> The instructions say:
    >> Finder
    >> Go
    >> Utilities
    >> "double-click Printer Setup Utility"
    >>

    >> Where the godam F... is the "Printer Setup Utility" ?
    >> (OSX 10.5.8) (http://support.apptle.com/kb/HT2495)
    >>

    >> Left the owner with the message to get her 'IT Expert husband" to come
    >> and do it.
    >>
    >> B..... Mac's

    > LOL, I know how you feel Paul. I just won't even touch them anymore. (It's
    > not like I'm getting paid anyway...)
    >
    > Cheers,

    And every time you go to one of their webpages they try and infect you
    with Quicktime.

    Talking of 'infections' be wary of the 'Image' links on a Google search
    for the Painter 'Egon Schiele' eg:
    http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&biw=...g10&aql=f&oq=egon schiele&fp=9bbe207cdd7fbf51

    Customer of mine (a painter hence the interest in Schiele) rang me
    Saturday asking should he agree to the 'Scan for problems in his
    Browser' that popped up when he tried to look at these images.
    (told him to just pull the AC plug and kill the whole PC)

    Had a look at it with him on Monday to reasure him it wasn't 'his' fault
    and boy are they invasive.
    Soon as you killed one popup another appeared and the page started
    displaying a 'Scan of your PC' and showing all the 'nasties' it had found.
    Only way I could stop it was to kill IE with Task Manager.

    Imagine what it's going to be like when Apple discovers this techique.

    Just to make it quite clear to any readers browsing through this tread
    'DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE IMAGE LINKS IN THE ABOVE URL: YOU ARE LIABLE
    TO BE INFECTED WITH A 'FALSE SECURITY ALERT/TROJAN/BACKDOOR.....

    But if you've got a spare Virtual PC image, good way of learning about FSA's

    :)

    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 4, 2011
  6. In article <ipr9fc$m56$>, PeeCee <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >And every time you go to one of their webpages they try and infect you
    >with Quicktime.

    Last version of quick time I saw was brilliant. Fast, fast and really fast.
    Did I mention it was fast ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 5, 2011