    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Nozza wrote:
    > I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 switch-router connected to a cable
    > modem. It has four ports on the back, and now has 4 PCs connected.
    >
    > I would like to add a wireless connection. If I get something like a
    > wireless switch router it will have the wireless connection, plus an
    > extra four "wired" ports. If I connect the wireless switch router to
    > the back of the existing switch router, will network traffic work
    > normally - will the ports on the back of the second router work
    > normally, or wont it work?
    >
    > Hints tips and advice welcome.
    >
    > Noz

    Since you already have a router you'd be better off with a wireless
    access point or at least configure your wireless router as a WAP.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Nozza

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:28:01 +0000, Nozza wrote:

    >I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 switch-router connected to a cable
    >modem. It has four ports on the back, and now has 4 PCs connected.
    >
    >I would like to add a wireless connection. If I get something like a
    >wireless switch router it will have the wireless connection, plus an
    >extra four "wired" ports. If I connect the wireless switch router to

    Yes, you set it up as an wireless access point (WAP). Remove 1 of the
    PCs from the Linksys and plug in the PC in the WAP. The unused port on
    the Linksys connects to the WAP.

    You can even do this,
    Existing router -> Wireless AP(single port) -> (another room) Wireless
    Router / 4 port (as AP) this gives multiple switched ports in 2 rooms,
    handy for networked printing.

    >the back of the existing switch router, will network traffic work
    >normally - will the ports on the back of the second router work

    It even works as 2 different networks, I have a mixed Netgear / Belkin
    which default to 2 different IP ranges, although the present setup isn't
    that anymore.

    >normally, or wont it work?

    It works fine if you follow the setup notes.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    Thanks for the replies - muchly appreciated.

    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, Jan 31, 2005