daisy-chaining 3548 and 3560 switches

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by halbert@bbn.com, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi, I'm interested in knowing if there's a "best" way to daisy chain
    (not stack) a couple of switches.

    We have a:
    Cisco 3548 (48-port 10/100 + 4 gigabit GBIC's), and a
    Cisco 3560 (48-port 10/100/1000 + 4 gigabit SFP's).

    Right now there's fiber from a 3548 GBIC back to our backbone switch. I
    could do one of these:

    1. Interconnect a 3548 GBIC with a 3560 SFP port. The 3560 would be
    downstream.
    2. Interconnect a 3548 GBIC with a 3560 regular 10/100/1000 port
    (cheaper; don't need an SFP).
    3. Run the fiber to a 3560 SFP port instead, and make the 3548 be
    downstream from the 3560, using method 1 or 2 above.

    Are the SFP ports on the 3560 "better" than the regular 10/100/1000
    baseT ports, in terms of bandwidth to the internal switch fabric? Is
    there some reason why the 3560 would a better connection to the
    backbone? Assume similar traffic on each switch.

    If it doesn't really make any difference, I can just buy the cheapest
    sort of interconnects that will work, and I don't have to mess with
    fiber adapters, an extra SFP adapter, etc.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    , Apr 11, 2006

  2. Merv Guest

    > Hi, I'm interested in knowing if there's a "best" way to daisy chain
    > (not stack) a couple of switches.

    1.Since the 3560 is a more powerful and more feature-rich switch, I
    would place it upstream of the 3548. That way it may be possible to
    apply some of the 3560 feature like DHCP snooping to traffic from the
    3548.

    2. I would connect the 3560 using the SFP fiber portsto your core switch

    Merv, Apr 11, 2006