    I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

    Thanks

    Ozark

    Ozark, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Ozark

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:33:02 -0700, Ozark wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    > problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    > wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    > way.
    > Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    > I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ozark

    I'd say no, too much voice compression that would tend to scramble the
    signal.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Ozark

    Nelson Muntz Guest

    Ozark wrote:

    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    >problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    >wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    >way.
    >Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    >I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

    It would be hit-and-miss.

    I install alarm systems and the modem comm. works -most- of the time.
    I've had better luck with companies like Comcast and Time Warner that
    offer VOIP (digital phone) direct, because they allocate spectrum for
    it. Companies like Vonage and Packet8 rely on pure IP packets from
    any ISP. That is the difference between "digital phone" and VOIP, but
    in the end digital phone is still VOIP.

    Nelson Muntz, Apr 20, 2007
  4. Ozark

    old man Guest

    Not unless your cable has a std phone line included.
    But anyway use the ethernet port on his PC to either connect to your PC or
    router so it can use your connection.

    old man, Apr 20, 2007
  5. Ozark

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Ozark wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    > problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    > wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    > way.
    > Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    > I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ozark

    Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
    (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

    Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
    you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

    Rick Merrill, Apr 20, 2007
  6. Ozark

    Dave Croft Guest

    "Nelson Muntz" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Ozark wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Guys,
    >>
    >>I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    >>problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    >>wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    >>way.
    >>Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    >>I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

    > It would be hit-and-miss.
    >
    > I install alarm systems and the modem comm. works -most- of the time.
    > I've had better luck with companies like Comcast and Time Warner that
    > offer VOIP (digital phone) direct, because they allocate spectrum for
    > it. Companies like Vonage and Packet8 rely on pure IP packets from
    > any ISP. That is the difference between "digital phone" and VOIP, but
    > in the end digital phone is still VOIP.

    Why can't you just use SKYPE like most of us do?

    --
    Dave Croft
    Warrington

    Dave Croft, Apr 20, 2007
  7. Ozark

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Dave Croft" <> wrote in message
    > "Nelson Muntz" <> wrote in message
    >> Ozark wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Guys,
    >>>
    >>>I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    >>>problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    >>>wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    >>>way.
    >>>Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    >>>I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

    >> It would be hit-and-miss.
    >>
    >> I install alarm systems and the modem comm. works -most- of the time.
    >> I've had better luck with companies like Comcast and Time Warner that
    >> offer VOIP (digital phone) direct, because they allocate spectrum for
    >> it. Companies like Vonage and Packet8 rely on pure IP packets from
    >> any ISP. That is the difference between "digital phone" and VOIP, but
    >> in the end digital phone is still VOIP.

    > Why can't you just use SKYPE like most of us do?

    You didn't comprehend the discussion at all!

    1) the OP needs to do a dial-up connection to an ISP over a VOIP phone line.
    That has crap-all to do with Skype.

    2) the reply from Nelson was regarding using alarm system modems over a VOIP
    phone line. That has nothing to do with Skype either.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  8. Ozark

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > Ozark wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    >> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    >> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    >> way.
    >> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    >> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Ozark
    >>

    > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
    > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)
    >
    > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
    > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

    It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble - that's
    why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
    tell.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  9. Ozark

    Nelson Muntz Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:

    >"Dave Croft" <> wrote in message
    >> "Nelson Muntz" <> wrote in message

    >>> It would be hit-and-miss.
    >>>
    >>> I install alarm systems and the modem comm. works -most- of the time.
    >>> I've had better luck with companies like Comcast and Time Warner that
    >>> offer VOIP (digital phone) direct, because they allocate spectrum for
    >>> it. Companies like Vonage and Packet8 rely on pure IP packets from
    >>> any ISP. That is the difference between "digital phone" and VOIP, but
    >>> in the end digital phone is still VOIP.

    >> Why can't you just use SKYPE like most of us do?
    >>

    >You didn't comprehend the discussion at all!
    >
    >1) the OP needs to do a dial-up connection to an ISP over a VOIP phone line.
    >That has crap-all to do with Skype.
    >
    >2) the reply from Nelson was regarding using alarm system modems over a VOIP
    >phone line. That has nothing to do with Skype either.

    All this coming from a guy in the UK, that does not even offer the
    same telephony solutions.

    I ignored his reply, Wizz. He is clueless.

    Nelson Muntz, Apr 20, 2007
  10. Ozark wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    > problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    > wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    > way.
    > Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    > I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

    You have cable, so you connect via that one.
    He must dial in to his ISP ... and use a cellphone or 2nd line to call you
    for telling you his IP address :)

    Walter Mautner, Apr 20, 2007
  11. Ozark

    Ed Propes Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:24:05 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >> Ozark wrote:
    >>> Hi Guys,
    >>>
    >>> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    >>> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    >>> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    >>> way.
    >>> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    >>> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Ozark
    >>>

    >> Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
    >> (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)
    >>
    >> Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
    >> you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

    > It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble - that's
    > why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
    > tell.

    He's trying to save his friend a long driver.

    Ed Propes, Apr 20, 2007
  12. Ozark

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >>"Dave Croft" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Nelson Muntz" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why can't you just use SKYPE like most of us do?
    >>>

    >>You didn't comprehend the discussion at all!
    >>
    >>1) the OP needs to do a dial-up connection to an ISP over a VOIP phone
    >>line.
    >>That has crap-all to do with Skype.
    >>
    >>2) the reply from Nelson was regarding using alarm system modems over a
    >>VOIP
    >>phone line. That has nothing to do with Skype either.
    >>

    > All this coming from a guy in the UK, that does not even offer the
    > same telephony solutions.
    >
    > I ignored his reply, Wizz. He is clueless.

    Heh heh - obviously <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  13. Ozark

    Ozark Guest

    On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    > >Ozarkwrote:
    > >> Hi Guys,

    > >> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
    > >> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
    > >> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
    > >> way.
    > >> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
    > >> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

    > >> Thanks

    > >>Ozark

    > > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
    > > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

    > > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
    > > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

    > It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble - that's
    > why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
    > tell.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi,

    He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
    updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
    and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
    After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
    update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
    dial up connection only.

    Thanks

    Ozark, Apr 21, 2007
  14. Ozark

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Ozark" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    >> > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
    >> > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

    >> > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
    >> > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

    >> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble -
    >> that's
    >> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
    >> tell.- Hide quoted text -

    > Hi,
    >
    > He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
    > updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
    > and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
    > After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
    > update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
    > dial up connection only.
    >
    > Thanks

    Okay - here's the thing: if it's THAT bad, you need to get it to YOUR place.
    Ignore his dial up. Download cleanup tools - Spybot Search & Destroy, McAfee
    Stinger, Hijack This, etc. and burn to a CD for use on his machine before
    you even get the system there. You can download the updates for manual use
    for most programs, rather than the Internet update method. Then when you get
    his computer, clean it up. When you get that done, connect to the Internet
    via YOUR connection, ignore his dial-up ISP. When you give him the system
    back, tell him to get his shit together - you never want to see a system
    with ME on it again <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 21, 2007
  15. Ozark

    Ozark Guest

    On Apr 21, 4:10 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "Ozark" <> wrote in message

    > > On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > >> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    > >> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble -
    > >> that's
    > >> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
    > >> tell.- Hide quoted text -

    > > Hi,

    > > He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
    > > updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
    > > and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
    > > After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
    > > update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
    > > dial up connection only.

    > > Thanks

    When you give him the system
    > back, tell him to get his shit together - you never want to see a system
    > with ME on it again <g>- Hide quoted text -

    Very good advice!
    Thanks

    Ozark, Apr 22, 2007
  16. Ozark

    Herb Stein Guest

    "Ozark" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 21, 4:10 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "Ozark" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi,

    >> > He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
    >> > updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
    >> > and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
    >> > After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
    >> > update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
    >> > dial up connection only.

    >> > Thanks

    > When you give him the system
    >> back, tell him to get his shit together - you never want to see a system
    >> with ME on it again <g>- Hide quoted text -

    > Very good advice!
    > Thanks

    I see your problem. In my case, should I get an ME machine,
    it goes out with 98SE. And if they don't have a network card,
    they get a 10/100 NIC that I've got lying around. What,
    probably US$5 and well worth it.

    I'd vote for not even messing with ME.

    I can't offer an opinion on dialup on VOIP.
    --
    Herb

    Herb Stein, Apr 22, 2007