Daggers Drawn Over DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Allan, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Allan

    WinField Guest

    Interesting article and recap of the high stakes involved.

    There are so many ways this next-format DVD thing can go. However, I
    can't help but think that if HD-dvd falls behind Blue-Ray a bit, just
    give the DVD rippers some wiggle room to more easily "clone" HD-dvd
    discs and the popularity should rise. Of course, the movie studios
    might simply respond by not releasing their HD-properties in MS/Intel
    format.

    Winfield

    WinField, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Allan

    Stan Brown Guest

    Internet arguments (Re: Daggers Drawn Over DVDs)

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
    with...
    > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    > - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Great line, and oh so true!

    Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
    Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
    Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
    serious than jaywalking, or something.

    It's right up there with Heinlein's "Never try to teach a pig to
    sing. You'll only waste your time, and annoy the pig."

    I'm going to pinch it.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Re: Internet arguments (Re: Daggers Drawn Over DVDs)

    Stan Brown wrote on [Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:56:12 -0400]:
    > On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
    > with...
    >> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    >> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    >> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    > Great line, and oh so true!
    >
    > Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
    > Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
    > Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
    > serious than jaywalking, or something.

    Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
    impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

    Justin, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Re: Internet arguments (Re: Daggers Drawn Over DVDs)

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Stan Brown wrote on [Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:56:12 -0400]:
    >> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
    >> with...
    >>> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >>> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
    >>> from
    >>> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
    >>> time."
    >>> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    >> Great line, and oh so true!
    >>
    >> Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
    >> Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
    >> Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
    >> serious than jaywalking, or something.

    > Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
    > impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

    So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?

    (Couldn't resist replying. Although, I really don't want to get into an
    in-depth argument here. I genuinely don't much care about the subject one
    way or the other.)

    The Man With No Name, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Allan

    The Man With No Name wrote on [Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:22:48 +1000]:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> Stan Brown wrote on [Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:56:12 -0400]:
    >>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
    >>> with...
    >>>
    >>> Great line, and oh so true!
    >>>
    >>> Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
    >>> Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
    >>> Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
    >>> serious than jaywalking, or something.

    >> Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
    >> impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

    > So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?

    In that situation, no.

    Deliberately misleading someone into believing they have a birth control
    method in play and you clearly know they don't.

    Sort of like knowing you have an STD and the other person doesn't know

    Justin, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Re: Internet arguments (Re: Daggers Drawn Over DVDs)

    In article <>,
    Stan Brown <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:47:43 -0400 in alt.video.dvd, Allan favored us
    >with...
    >> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    >> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    >> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    >Great line, and oh so true!
    >
    >Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
    >Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
    >Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
    >serious than jaywalking, or something.
    >
    >It's right up there with Heinlein's "Never try to teach a pig to
    >sing. You'll only waste your time, and annoy the pig."

    >I'm going to pinch it.

    Or try this:

    It was early last October
    And I was far from sober
    As I staggered down the street with great pride

    My feet began to stutter
    So I lay down in the gutter
    And a hog walked up and laid down by my side

    As I lay there in the gutter
    My heart was all a flutter
    As a lady passing by was heard to say.

    You can tell a man who boozes
    By the company he chooses
    So the hog got up and slowly walked away.

    BIll

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Oct 7, 2005
  8. Re: Internet arguments (Re: Daggers Drawn Over DVDs)

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > The Man With No Name wrote on [Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:22:48 +1000]:
    >>
    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
    >>> impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

    >> So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?

    > In that situation, no.
    >
    > Deliberately misleading someone into believing they have a birth control
    > method in play and you clearly know they don't.
    >
    > Sort of like knowing you have an STD and the other person doesn't know

    Well, how is that rape?
    I can see how most people would consider it immoral. You could even make a
    good argument that it's a form of murder.
    But, I don't think anyone would consider deliberately infecting someone
    with an STD to be rape.

    The Man With No Name, Oct 7, 2005
  9. Re: Internet arguments (Re: Daggers Drawn Over DVDs)

    The Man With No Name wrote:

    >>>Great line, and oh so true!
    >>>
    >>>Viz a recent thread in rec.arts.tv where some morons insisted that
    >>>Carlos tampering with Gabby's birth control pills on /Desperate
    >>>Housewives/ was rape. Their justification was that it was more
    >>>serious than jaywalking, or something.

    >>Well, it kind of is. Instead of non impregnating sex she got
    >>impregnating sex and stuck with those consequences.

    > So then, is it still rape if you use a condom?
    >
    > (Couldn't resist replying.

    Evidently--
    At which point, we now introduce you to Internet troll concept #2, the
    "Tar Baby"...

    So named for the folktale object at which helpless victims would try to
    "hit back" and find themselves stuck fast to the elbow...He hopes.
    Even to the point of the farthest stream-of-consciousness thread
    drifting, just so long as the thread can be prolonged on life support,
    and no connection is too vague or bewildering, so long as it can be tied
    to Controversial Sucker-Topic Button #1 through 23.

    From which, as matched defensive maneuver we move on to Internet
    ANTI-troll concept #3, "Pulling the Trap-Door Lever".
    To which fans of old "Laugh-In" reruns, we need offer no explanation.

    Derek Janssen (imaginary image of victim troll plummeting out of shot
    with Goofy-whoop, optional)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Allan <> wrote:

    >http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm

    "[Blu-Ray's] supporters are convinced costs will be similar over the long
    term."

    It costs a lot more, and they figure they can just tell people it doesn't.

    "Next-generation DVDs will feature high-definition movies, extras like
    movie-themed computer games, and the ability to download film trailers from
    the Internet."

    OOOH! Download trailers? Nobody's EVER been able to do that before!

    "Movie studios, struggling with a sudden slowdown in the $18 billion-a-year
    U.S. DVD market, are salivating over the chance to entice consumers with
    movies on new high-definition disks."

    This is the insanity that is business today. They had an explosive growth
    period as people bought into it. That can't go on forever, but they build
    business models as if it could. There is no slowdown except from the
    perspective of an idiot who thinks it would expand at 100% per year forever.

    "Microsoft and Intel, hungry for new growth opportunities, want to expand
    their roles in people's lives, helping them manage digital photos or
    download the next Batman flick off of the Net."

    Heh. "Manage." hoo boy.

    "Blu-ray equipped devices are even designed to recognize and refuse to play
    pirated movies. Such protections are another big reason Sony has won the
    support of studios, such as News Corp.'s Fox (NWS )."

    The emphasis is always on what they WON'T ALLOW people to do. UOPs already
    plague current DVDs. They should focus on a player that WORKS for people who
    want to use it legitimately, and then think about what they can lock out.
    (Said from the perspective of just having a DVD from a major studio get
    locked in an endless play-the-commercials loop.)

    "No company has more at stake than Sony. Long one of the most innovative
    companies in electronics, it stumbled badly in recent years."

    Sony has always had marketing problems.

    "Sony's people have "bet the entire future on this," says analyst Michael
    Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities. "It's too important for them to lose,
    so they will do everything they can to win.""

    Which is not a situation that should inspire trust in us folks out here in
    consumerland.

    "[Betamax] lost out to Matsushita's VHS, in part because its onerous
    licensing terms alienated the Hollywood studios."

    Yeah, it had nothing to do with short recording times, a separate extra-cost
    timer, clunky design... any of that. They alienated the consumer early on,
    and then people just wanted to buy what everyone else had bought. Which
    makes sense.

    "Then on June 15, the Blu-ray camp decided against using Microsoft's IHD
    technology to add interactive features to Blu-ray disks, opting instead to
    stick with software based on Java technology."

    Gotta love that, tho.

    ""They have a Trojan Horse that will play a critical role in igniting the
    market for this product""

    Somebody's gotta learn some new terms. Hands up everyone who thinks a
    "Trojan Horse" is something you want.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 7, 2005