Daft sod needs help please

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Pete, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hello peeps - I am about to set sail into the secretive world of VOIP but
    know the square root of b*gger all about it. :)

    Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please point
    me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
    VOIP?

    All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
    standard 18866 account.

    I do have one requirement lurking around in the background for after I get
    things up and running and that is I would like to be able to have a call
    arrive for me on a conventional landline and then be able to have the
    person who answers my phone say - one moment I will put you through - and
    then have that call put through to me at a different location using VOIP?
    Using normal telephones, I would call this call forwarding but I have no
    idea if this is feasible or even the correct terminology for VOIP????

    Having written all that, you can see why I need the daft sod's guide.

    Thanks in advance for any help or (polite) comments you have to offer.

    Cheers

    Pete

    Pete, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Pete

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Call forwarding is pretty powerful stuff. You may need to splice together
    the PSTN (landline) and VoIP calls, possibly via your own hardware.

    Let me ask you, can you do this "landline to landline" at the moment? This
    requires "help" from the exchange (either BT or your own internal exchange).
    If you can, then it is possible to get a "real" phone number associated with
    your VoIP account in which case you just treat it like a landline and
    forward in the same manner.

    However, if you can't do this "landline to landline" at the moment, you need
    to effectively create an exchange "in your living room". Note also, that
    this forwarding _will_ tie up your landline (assuming you only have one).

    Most people just use VoIP as a cheap alternative to a regular phone. For
    example to get cheap calls to <insert foreign country of your choice>. As
    other posters have indicated, in the UK we have many regular phone services
    which will "sign you up" for cheap calls to said country so the savings are
    minuimal, especially after you've bought the required hardware (unless
    you're happy with X-Lite and the headset you probably got free with your
    PC).

    So bottom line, if you want call forwarding, you need to do a lot of
    research and be prepared to shell out some dosh. Otherwise, have a play
    with VoIP and enjoy - which seems to be what most people are doing.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote in news:42afd8a5$0$295
    $:

    > So bottom line, if you want call forwarding, you need to do a lot of
    > research and be prepared to shell out some dosh. Otherwise, have a play
    > with VoIP and enjoy - which seems to be what most people are doing.
    >
    > Paul DS.

    Many thanks for that Paul. Sounds like you have put me right off the idea
    of VoIP. :)))

    The call-fowarding was an idea for the future and I have nothing like that
    in place at the moment. With the 18866 account and their excellent pricing,
    it would seem like I should stick with what I know and just continue to pay
    the small amount of money that I do to 18866, unless you know of a cheaper
    telco??

    Thanks again Paul, if you would care to add any other thoughts, they would
    be much appreciated too.

    Pete

    Pete, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Pete

    Ian Guest

    Hi

    www.voipinfo.org has a lot of info but maybe too technical for what you want

    > All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
    > standard 18866 account.
    >

    > I do have one requirement lurking around in the background for after I get
    > things up and running and that is I would like to be able to have a call
    > arrive for me on a conventional landline and then be able to have the
    > person who answers my phone say - one moment I will put you through - and
    > then have that call put through to me at a different location using VOIP?
    > Using normal telephones, I would call this call forwarding but I have no
    > idea if this is feasible or even the correct terminology for VOIP????

    what you have to remember VOIP is realy just another way of delivering voice
    packets. So what you can do with normal telephony you can do with voip, what
    voip can give is easy mobilty and cost savings on line rentals and calls
    between other voip users and in SOME cases national and overseas calls.
    With the addition of and IP PBX you would be able to get the feature you
    want of calls being transfered to another number, This has also been
    possible with "normal" lines for a very log time. Call forwarding is the
    automated forwarding of calls with no intervention and similar to call
    diverting except the call is not handed off by the system.
    The technolgy has nowbeen arround for a good few years now and stable, But
    for business use pick your supplier with caution, some are only suitable for
    residential services while others provide a robust, stable service that can
    be relied upon

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Pete

    Phillip H Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hello peeps - I am about to set sail into the secretive world of VOIP but
    > know the square root of b*gger all about it. :)
    >
    > Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please
    > point
    > me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
    > VOIP?
    >
    > All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
    > standard 18866 account.

    I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the good
    old reliable way of using the phone. I've had a phone here since 1978, and
    never once had a fault, it seems in this group, everyone is suffering
    problems with Voip every day of the week! Furthermore 18866
    (iax.call18866.co.uk) appears to have closed down according to the latest
    posts. Do you really need an headache?

    Phillip H, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Pete

    Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:31:29 +0100, "Phillip H"
    <> wrote:
    >I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the good
    >old reliable way of using the phone.

    If you want to stay with OLD technology that's your choice it
    surprises me with your attitude you even have a computer why didn't
    you stay with the old reliable pencil and paper !!!!!! .

    , Jun 15, 2005
  7. Pete

    Ian Guest

    "Phillip H" <> wrote in message

    > "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello peeps - I am about to set sail into the secretive world of VOIP

    but
    > > know the square root of b*gger all about it. :)
    > >
    > > Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please
    > > point
    > > me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
    > > VOIP?
    > >
    > > All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
    > > standard 18866 account.
    > >

    > I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the

    good
    > old reliable way of using the phone. I've had a phone here since 1978,

    and
    > never once had a fault, it seems in this group, everyone is suffering
    > problems with Voip every day of the week!

    No, I've been with my supplier for a year now, and only had one minor
    problem with Cli which was solved in under an hour. And all my in and
    outgoing business calls are carried by VOIP

    >Furthermore 18866
    > (iax.call18866.co.uk) appears to have closed down according to the latest
    > posts. >

    That is one among many suppliers, It just happens they are cheap and a lot
    of people here are using them, same goes for sipgate. Now how many
    complaints do you see of other suppliers ( That are not user error)

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 15, 2005
  8. Pete

    Phillip H Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:31:29 +0100, "Phillip H"
    > <> wrote:
    >>I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the
    >>good
    >>old reliable way of using the phone.

    > If you want to stay with OLD technology that's your choice it
    > surprises me with your attitude you even have a computer why didn't
    > you stay with the old reliable pencil and paper !!!!!! .

    Well you obviously don't make good use of your PC, if you compare it to a
    pencil and paper!

    Phillip H, Jun 15, 2005
  9. Pete

    Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:47:46 +0100, "Phillip H"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:31:29 +0100, "Phillip H"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the
    >>>good
    >>>old reliable way of using the phone.

    >> If you want to stay with OLD technology that's your choice it
    >> surprises me with your attitude you even have a computer why didn't
    >> you stay with the old reliable pencil and paper !!!!!! .

    >Well you obviously don't make good use of your PC, if you compare it to a
    >pencil and paper!

    This is just the sort of remark one could expect from a backward
    thinker like yourself .

    , Jun 15, 2005
  10. Pete

    Dave Gill Guest

    Pete <> wrote:

    > Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please point
    > me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
    > VOIP?

    [...]
    > I do have one requirement lurking around in the background for after I get
    > things up and running and that is I would like to be able to have a call
    > arrive for me on a conventional landline and then be able to have the
    > person who answers my phone say - one moment I will put you through - and
    > then have that call put through to me at a different location using VOIP?
    > Using normal telephones, I would call this call forwarding but I have no
    > idea if this is feasible or even the correct terminology for VOIP????

    If you want to see what VoIP can do (mainly from a business point of
    view, admittedly) have a look at Gradwell's VoIP pages:

    <http://www.gradwell.com/voip>

    Dave Gill, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hello it's me again - I think I may have found a solution to my situation
    and would appreciate some more input please.

    How about me plugging my 2 line POTS phone into an "adapter" that then
    allows me to work with both the POTS and VoIP?

    Anyone care to share their experiences please? Also do you have any
    suggestions for such a box? I have discovered a Grandstream HandyTone 486
    and 488 and don't understand the difference between the two. :))) Is there
    something better or better value for money?

    My idea is to have this box so that I can use VoIP or either of my two POTS
    lines through the one phone. The phone *is* a two line phone already.

    Said I was a daft sod but by the end of the month I mught just manage to
    upgrade to silly sod.

    Thanks again for any input.

    Regards

    Pete.

    Pete, Jun 17, 2005
  12. Pete

    Dave Gill Guest

    Pete <> wrote:

    > How about me plugging my 2 line POTS phone into an "adapter" that then
    > allows me to work with both the POTS and VoIP?
    >
    > Anyone care to share their experiences please? Also do you have any
    > suggestions for such a box? I have discovered a Grandstream HandyTone 486
    > and 488 and don't understand the difference between the two. :))) Is there
    > something better or better value for money?

    The HT-486 allows simple PSTN "pass through" ie: it allows the phone
    connected to the ATA to use the PSTN line as well as the VoIP line. The
    HT-488 also allows you to do that, but it's lets you do other fancy
    stuff too, like route an incoming VoIP call to another number via your
    PSTN line. (You don't need a 2 line phone - these ATAs have 2 incoming
    ports, but only one outgoing port).

    If you can afford it, go for Sipura kit rather than Grandstream. The
    Sipura 3000 would do what you want, but it's the most expensive of the
    model in their range. And you may need a bit of help to get the best
    from it set-up wise.

    Dave Gill, Jun 17, 2005
  13. Pete

    Martin² Guest