    ADSL router and a decent ATA separately.

    Thanks in advance.

    Lee
    Lee, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Lee

    Tim Bray Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Has anyone used one of these?
    > Details:
    > http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3LFS

    No.

    The details from the original manufacturer are:
    http://www.paradigm.com.tw/P1_VoIP_P840V.html

    I want to know what "Support Dying Gasp functionality." is ?????

    > I will using it with my voipfone account. Is there any reason why this
    > should be avoided - it seems cheap at £45? Well, cheaper than getting an
    > ADSL router and a decent ATA separately.

    Generally you get what you pay for. I've tested a large pile of ATA's.
    The most common problems are

    1) that the admin interface doesn't make sense.

    2) That the SIP stack just doesn't work.

    3) Device crashes - usually after turned on for a few days or lots of calls.

    Obviously, if you buy hardware from voipfone then it will arrive at you
    all ready to plug into your existing router.

    Tim
    Tim Bray, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Tim Bray" <> wrote in message
    > Lee wrote:
    >> Has anyone used one of these?
    >> Details:
    >> http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3LFS

    > No.
    >
    > The details from the original manufacturer are:
    > http://www.paradigm.com.tw/P1_VoIP_P840V.html
    >

    > I want to know what "Support Dying Gasp functionality." is ?????
    >

    >> I will using it with my voipfone account. Is there any reason why this
    >> should be avoided - it seems cheap at £45? Well, cheaper than getting an
    >> ADSL router and a decent ATA separately.

    > Generally you get what you pay for. I've tested a large pile of ATA's.
    > The most common problems are
    >
    > 1) that the admin interface doesn't make sense.
    >
    > 2) That the SIP stack just doesn't work.
    >
    > 3) Device crashes - usually after turned on for a few days or lots of
    > calls.
    >

    > Obviously, if you buy hardware from voipfone then it will arrive at you
    > all ready to plug into your existing router.
    >
    > Tim

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    For what it is worth, I am not buying the hardware from voipfone [all ATA's
    out of stock] and I do not have an existing router at the location I need
    the phone - hence my interest in a combined box that is cheaper than
    purchasing a new ADSL router and separate ATA.
    Lee, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Lee

    alexd Guest

    alexd, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Lee

    Tim Bray Guest

    alexd wrote:
    >>I want to know what "Support Dying Gasp functionality." is ?????

    > ROFL. Best Translation Ever.

    My best guess so far is `will send the syslog packet before crashing`

    Tim
    Tim Bray, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Lee

    Tim Bray Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > For what it is worth, I am not buying the hardware from voipfone [all ATA's
    > out of stock] and I do not have an existing router at the location I need
    > the phone - hence my interest in a combined box that is cheaper than
    > purchasing a new ADSL router and separate ATA.

    So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
    having two boxes.

    Having said that, I haven't tested the new combined router/ATA products
    from Linksys.

    But - the sipura -> linksys translation has not been a smooth one, and
    there are currently shortages on all the products in the UK.

    Tim
    Tim Bray, Jan 17, 2006
  7. Lee

    Martin² Guest

    Tim Bray:
    >So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
    >having two boxes.

    You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

    The Dabs / Paradigm cheapo doesn't seem to support QoS or ADSL2.

    So go swiftly to broadbandbuyer.co.uk, pass go, and get Zyxel 2602HW WiFi 2x
    VoIP ADSL2 router,
    at ONLY £87 BEFORE they realise they have priced it wrong !
    (have look at the price of the 2602HWL, same thing but include PSTN
    pass-through...)
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jan 17, 2006
  8. Lee

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Martin² wrote:
    > Tim Bray:
    >
    >>So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
    >>having two boxes.

    > You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

    You do if you buy the right router. Practically every device under the
    sun says it supports diffserv marking but it's not of much use since
    your ISP probably wont take any notice of it (yet!?!). If the router
    can do traffic prioritisation then you simply put your ATA on a static
    address & tell the router to prioritise anything going to or coming from
    that address.

    I agree with Tim, I'm currently using an all in one device at home that
    retails at over £200 & the VoIP isn't as reliable or flexible as using
    a separate ATA. The router is SIP aware & will prioritise SIP traffic
    without me having to do any config other than type in my upstream &
    downstream speeds too.

    Paul.
    Paul Hayes, Jan 17, 2006
  9. Lee

    Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:23:09 -0000, "Martin²" <> wrote:

    >You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

    That's not so.
    , Jan 17, 2006
  10. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Tim Bray:
    >>So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
    >>having two boxes.

    > You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.
    >
    > The Dabs / Paradigm cheapo doesn't seem to support QoS or ADSL2.
    >
    > So go swiftly to broadbandbuyer.co.uk, pass go, and get Zyxel 2602HW WiFi
    > 2x VoIP ADSL2 router,
    > at ONLY £87 BEFORE they realise they have priced it wrong !
    > (have look at the price of the 2602HWL, same thing but include PSTN
    > pass-through...)
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    I have done as you suggest. I feel more comfortable paying a little more for
    a brand I recognise.

    Thank you [and everyone else who responded] for your help.

    Lee, Jan 17, 2006
  11. Lee

    chappycheeky Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:52:04 +0000, wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:23:09 -0000, "Martin²" <> wrote:
    >
    >>You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

    >That's not so.

    In what way?
    chappycheeky, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Lee

    Paul Hayes Guest

    chappycheeky wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:52:04 +0000, wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:23:09 -0000, "Martin²" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

    >>That's not so.

    > In what way?

    The same way a router with builtin VoIP ports does it, only not always
    automatically. In some cases it'll be totally automatic (e.g. Intertex
    routers) and in other cases you'll have to tell the router which IP
    address either the service providers server is on or the IP address your
    ATA/IP phone is on.
    Paul Hayes, Jan 18, 2006