    buy last centuries technology ( steam powered FM & AM! ).
    TIA
    Fred
    fred2, Apr 25, 2006

  2. fred2

    sam Guest

    fred2 wrote:
    > Would like to give someone moving to Dublin (Ireland) a DAB radio. However,
    > it would be futile to give as a present a digital radio, if there are
    > reception difficulties. So - any Dubliners here who could offer first hand
    > experience? If this service is not available to a portable, I would have to
    > buy last centuries technology ( steam powered FM & AM! ).
    > TIA
    > Fred

    Last century ? Last millenium you mean!
    sam, Apr 25, 2006

  3. fred2

    Zitty Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message
    > fred2 wrote:
    >> Would like to give someone moving to Dublin (Ireland) a DAB radio.
    >> However, it would be futile to give as a present a digital radio, if
    >> there are reception difficulties. So - any Dubliners here who could offer
    >> first hand experience? If this service is not available to a portable, I
    >> would have to buy last centuries technology ( steam powered FM & AM! ).
    >> TIA
    >> Fred

    I wouldn't bother with DAB anyway - the audio quality is terrible compared
    to FM.

    > Last century ? Last millenium you mean!

    They had AM/FM radio's 1000's years ago??? Oh, and its spelt millennium btw.
    Zitty, Apr 25, 2006
  4. fred2

    Peaches Guest

    "fred2" <> wrote in message
    > Would like to give someone moving to Dublin (Ireland) a DAB radio.
    > However, it would be futile to give as a present a digital radio, if there
    > are reception difficulties. So - any Dubliners here who could offer first
    > hand experience? If this service is not available to a portable, I would
    > have to buy last centuries technology ( steam powered FM & AM! ).
    > TIA
    > Fred

    RTE have only recently launched DAB and only in Dublin,
    But it will expand:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/story/1073221.html
    Peaches, Apr 25, 2006
  5. fred2

    fred2 Guest

    "Zitty" <moc.dlrowltn@esuba> wrote in message

    > "sam" <> wrote in message
    >> fred2 wrote:
    >>> Would like to give someone moving to Dublin (Ireland) a DAB radio.
    >>> However, it would be futile to give as a present a digital radio, if
    >>> there are reception difficulties. So - any Dubliners here who could
    >>> offer
    >>> first hand experience? If this service is not available to a portable, I
    >>> would have to buy last centuries technology ( steam powered FM & AM! ).
    >>> TIA
    >>> Fred

    > I wouldn't bother with DAB anyway - the audio quality is terrible compared
    > to FM.
    >
    >> Last century ? Last millenium you mean!

    > They had AM/FM radio's 1000's years ago??? Oh, and its spelt millennium
    > btw.

    Common mistake based on the one n (as below)

    millenary [mI'l*lnErI] pl -naries noun
    1 a sum or aggregate of one thousand, esp. one thousand years

    2 another word for a millennium
    adjective, noun
    3 another word for millenarian
    [C16: from Late Latin millenarius containing a thousand, from Latin
    mille thousand]

    (personally speaking - I wouldn't bother with DAB either, but for my
    friend's wish list!)

    Fred
    fred2, Apr 25, 2006
  6. fred2

    Gordon Guest

    Zitty wrote:

    > I wouldn't bother with DAB anyway - the audio quality is terrible
    > compared to FM.

    ROTFLMAO!
    Gordon, Apr 26, 2006