    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town
    Ron, Feb 21, 2013

  2. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <1kynffa.1it0df01svjpjgN%>, Ron
    <> wrote:

    > The manual for the Nikon D90 says not to turn the camera off or remove
    > the lens while VR is in effect... the result being that the lens may
    > rattle when shaken. Really need to always turn off VR before turning the
    > camera off? Any danger of lens damage if you don't?

    all that means is don't remove the lens while it's actively
    stabilizing, which is not something anyone is likely to do.

    stabilization will park itself moments after you take your finger off
    the shutter button, at which point you can remove the lens without
    issue, whether or not the camera is still on and whether or not the vr
    switch is on.
    nospam, Feb 21, 2013

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <1kynffa.1it0df01svjpjgN%>, Ron
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > The manual for the Nikon D90 says not to turn the camera off or remove
    > > the lens while VR is in effect... the result being that the lens may
    > > rattle when shaken. Really need to always turn off VR before turning the
    > > camera off? Any danger of lens damage if you don't?

    > all that means is don't remove the lens while it's actively
    > stabilizing, which is not something anyone is likely to do.
    >
    > stabilization will park itself moments after you take your finger off
    > the shutter button, at which point you can remove the lens without
    > issue, whether or not the camera is still on and whether or not the vr
    > switch is on.

    Makes sense. Thanks.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town
    Ron, Feb 22, 2013
  4. Ron

    M-M Guest

    d (Ron) wrote:

    > The manual for the Nikon D90 says not to turn the camera off or remove
    > the lens while VR is in effect... the result being that the lens may
    > rattle when shaken. Really need to always turn off VR before turning the
    > camera off? Any danger of lens damage if you don't?

    Not sure about that but retracting a telephoto lens by pushing it in
    from the front (instead of turning the ring), can strip the gears and
    ruin the lens. Been there.

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Feb 22, 2013
  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    M-M <> wrote:

    > In article <1kynffa.1it0df01svjpjgN%>,
    > d (Ron) wrote:
    >
    > > The manual for the Nikon D90 says not to turn the camera off or remove
    > > the lens while VR is in effect... the result being that the lens may
    > > rattle when shaken. Really need to always turn off VR before turning the
    > > camera off? Any danger of lens damage if you don't?

    > Not sure about that but retracting a telephoto lens by pushing it in
    > from the front (instead of turning the ring), can strip the gears and
    > ruin the lens. Been there.

    Ouch. I'll remember that. Thx.

    --
    Ron, the humblest guy in town