    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Apr 29, 2013

  2. Ron

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:41:13 -0700, d (Ron) wrote:
    : My D90's shutter release sometimes stops working while in manual mode
    : with an MF 100-300 zoom at f8 (internal focus, max f4 through range) in
    : full daylight. I can take a few shots, then the shutter release stops
    : working when pressed all the way down. Can get shots when camera points
    : at the ground or sky (completely out of focus) or occasionally after
    : zooming out. Can't tell for sure what makes it start working again,
    : assume this is related to focus and the electronic rangefinder. Not
    : using flash, have lots of room on SD card. Do I just have to live with
    : this?

    Sounds like what might happen if the lens can't achieve focus and the camera
    is set to not let the shutter fire under that circumstance.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 29, 2013

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:41:13 -0700, d (Ron) wrote:
    > : My D90's shutter release sometimes stops working while in manual mode
    > : with an MF 100-300 zoom at f8 (internal focus, max f4 through range) in
    > : full daylight. I can take a few shots, then the shutter release stops
    > : working when pressed all the way down. Can get shots when camera points
    > : at the ground or sky (completely out of focus) or occasionally after
    > : zooming out. Can't tell for sure what makes it start working again,
    > : assume this is related to focus and the electronic rangefinder. Not
    > : using flash, have lots of room on SD card. Do I just have to live with
    > : this?
    >
    > Sounds like what might happen if the lens can't achieve focus and the camera
    > is set to not let the shutter fire under that circumstance.
    >
    > Bob

    Yup, that sounds like it. How do I tell the camera to allow shooting
    without focus confirmation?

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Apr 29, 2013
  4. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > On 2013-04-28 19:57:52 -0700, d (Ron) said:
    >
    > > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:41:13 -0700, d (Ron) wrote:
    > >> : My D90's shutter release sometimes stops working while in manual mode
    > >> : with an MF 100-300 zoom at f8 (internal focus, max f4 through range)
    > >> in : full daylight. I can take a few shots, then the shutter release
    > >> stops : working when pressed all the way down. Can get shots when
    > >> camera points : at the ground or sky (completely out of focus) or
    > >> occasionally after : zooming out. Can't tell for sure what makes it
    > >> start working again, : assume this is related to focus and the
    > >> electronic rangefinder. Not : using flash, have lots of room on SD
    > >> card. Do I just have to live with : this?
    > >>
    > >> Sounds like what might happen if the lens can't achieve focus and the
    > >> camera is set to not let the shutter fire under that circumstance.
    > >>
    > >> Bob

    > > Yup, that sounds like it. How do I tell the camera to allow shooting
    > > without focus confirmation?

    > With my D300S that is done in the Custom Menu a1 & a2.
    >
    > The D90 is a little different as it doesn't have those options, so
    > perhaps the following might help:
    > Since you are shooting a manual focus lens, have you set the "Camera
    > Focus-mode" on the front left of the D90 from "AF" to "M"?
    > That should allow you to trip the shutter, even when not in focus. It
    > is not just a case of selecting "M" mode from the "P", "S", "A", or "M"
    > from the Mode dial on top of the D90. For full manual, both focus and
    > exposure modes have to be set to "M".

    Hmm, tried that. Setting body to MF doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Will investigate further.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Apr 30, 2013
  5. Ron

    me Guest

    wrote:

    >My D90's shutter release sometimes stops working while in manual mode
    >with an MF 100-300 zoom at f8 (internal focus, max f4 through range) in
    >full daylight. I can take a few shots, then the shutter release stops
    >working when pressed all the way down. Can get shots when camera points
    >at the ground or sky (completely out of focus) or occasionally after
    >zooming out. Can't tell for sure what makes it start working again,
    >assume this is related to focus and the electronic rangefinder. Not
    >using flash, have lots of room on SD card. Do I just have to live with
    >this?

    Sounds like it might be losing electrical contact between the body and
    lens. I'd start by removing the lens and cleaning the contacts on
    both. How worn is the mounting flange on the lens? I've had similar
    issues on my 1st gen 70-200mm f/2.8 VR with a mount with increased
    slop in it due to wear.

    me, Apr 30, 2013
  6. Ron

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/30/2013 5:23 AM, me wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:41:13 -0700, d (Ron)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My D90's shutter release sometimes stops working while in manual mode
    >> with an MF 100-300 zoom at f8 (internal focus, max f4 through range) in
    >> full daylight. I can take a few shots, then the shutter release stops
    >> working when pressed all the way down. Can get shots when camera points
    >> at the ground or sky (completely out of focus) or occasionally after
    >> zooming out. Can't tell for sure what makes it start working again,
    >> assume this is related to focus and the electronic rangefinder. Not
    >> using flash, have lots of room on SD card. Do I just have to live with
    >> this?

    > Sounds like it might be losing electrical contact between the body and
    > lens. I'd start by removing the lens and cleaning the contacts on
    > both. How worn is the mounting flange on the lens? I've had similar
    > issues on my 1st gen 70-200mm f/2.8 VR with a mount with increased
    > slop in it due to wear.

    I had the ame issue with my 70-200 ist gen. I brought it into Nikon,
    repair, turned out to be a bent contact. I had dropped the lens. It ws
    not a cheap repair.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 30, 2013