    3. What's the best way to check to see if everything's working OK?

    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town
    Ron, Feb 24, 2013

  2. Ron

    me Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:24:05 -0800, d (Ron)
    wrote:

    >Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.
    >
    >1. How do I know if the previous owner took an image dust-off photo?

    Not to my knowledge and I fail to see why this has any meaning to you.

    >2. Do you need Capture NX2 to use the image dust-off photo?

    You need some version of Capture which supports the D90 raw images.

    >3. What's the best way to check to see if everything's working OK?

    Use the camera as you intend to? If you don't intend to use a feature
    which might have an issue, is this really important to you?
    me, Feb 24, 2013

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    me <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:24:05 -0800, d (Ron)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.
    > >
    > >1. How do I know if the previous owner took an image dust-off photo?

    > Not to my knowledge and I fail to see why this has any meaning to you.

    Depends on whether there's any dust on the sensor now, as compared to
    when it was new.

    > >2. Do you need Capture NX2 to use the image dust-off photo?

    > You need some version of Capture which supports the D90 raw images.

    OK
    > >3. What's the best way to check to see if everything's working OK?

    > Use the camera as you intend to? If you don't intend to use a feature
    > which might have an issue, is this really important to you?

    If I don't get around to using a feature or don't learn how to use it
    for a few months and then I find out that something's broken, the short
    used-goods warranty will have run out and I'll be stuck with a defective
    body. This thing has a lot of features and I'll probably get around to
    exercising most everything but we'll see how that goes. It's a
    significant step up from my D40.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town
    Ron, Feb 25, 2013
  4. Ron

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:25:00 -0800, d (Ron) wrote:
    : me <> wrote:
    :
    : > On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:24:05 -0800, d (Ron)
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : > >Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.
    : > >
[...]

    If your camera doesn't come with its user's manual, try to download one from
    the Nikon Web site. (I've been told, though I've never tried to confirm it,
    that Nikon no longer requires you to prove ownership in order to do that.)
    Then work your way through it, testing as many features as you have time to
    test. Also, ask current D90 owners (here and in the Nikon sites) what features
    have given them problems while they've owned their cameras. Those are the
    things you may want to test first.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Feb 25, 2013
  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > : If I don't get around to using a feature or don't learn how to use it
    > : for a few months and then I find out that something's broken, the short
    > : used-goods warranty will have run out and I'll be stuck with a defective
    > : body. This thing has a lot of features and I'll probably get around to
    > : exercising most everything but we'll see how that goes. It's a
    > : significant step up from my D40.
    >
    > If your camera doesn't come with its user's manual, try to download one from
    > the Nikon Web site. (I've been told, though I've never tried to confirm it,
    > that Nikon no longer requires you to prove ownership in order to do that.)
    > Then work your way through it, testing as many features as you have time to
    > test. Also, ask current D90 owners (here and in the Nikon sites) what features
    > have given them problems while they've owned their cameras. Those are the
    > things you may want to test first.
    >
    > Bob

    Have downloaded the manual and have been reading it. Have heard a few
    users complain about back-focus but other users say those folks are
    doing something wrong, and that might be true in some cases.

    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town
    Ron, Feb 25, 2013
  6. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > If your camera doesn't come with its user's manual, try to download one from
    > the Nikon Web site. (I've been told, though I've never tried to confirm it,
    > that Nikon no longer requires you to prove ownership in order to do that.)

    they never have.

    what they do is restrict *printing* the manual to those who own the
    cameras but who cares. it's a complete waste of paper (and time),
    especially with the size of manuals these days. it's *far* more useful
    to reference the pdf directly.

    > Then work your way through it, testing as many features as you have time to
    > test. Also, ask current D90 owners (here and in the Nikon sites) what features
    > have given them problems while they've owned their cameras. Those are the
    > things you may want to test first.

    a much better way is have it evaluated at a competent repair shop.
    nospam, Feb 25, 2013
  7. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013022418394818024-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > BTW: Rockwell has this to say about using the D90.

    it's probably lies like just about everything else he says.
    nospam, Feb 25, 2013
  8. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013022421000240977-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> BTW: Rockwell has this to say about using the D90.

    > > it's probably lies like just about everything else he says.

    > ...but there it is, another source of information for an owner of a
    > used camera, exploring its features.

    hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
    solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
    in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
    looking for answers. if you already know all about nikon cameras or
    whatever it is he's babbling about, then you might be able to tell when
    he's lying, but then why would you bother going there if you already
    know about it?

    > It is probably best to let Ron check the manual,

    yes. that's the best source.

    > and Rockwell,

    definitely not.

    > since he
    > has the D90 in hand and you and I don't. He is in a better position to
    > evaluate the validity of what Rockwell has written, good or bad, lie or
    > truth.

    or he can skip rockwell entirely and go to credible sites that don't
    get their jollies by intentionally lying to its readers.

    two such sites are dpreview and thom hogan's site.
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90>
    <http://www.bythom.com/nikond90review.htm>
    nospam, Feb 25, 2013
  9. nospam wrote:

    >>> it's probably lies like just about everything else he says.

    >> ...but there it is, another source of information for an owner of a
    >> used camera, exploring its features.

    > hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
    > solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
    > in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
    > looking for answers.

    Where is this claimed?

    What lies has he been caught in?

    David
    David Hare-Scott, Feb 25, 2013
  10. Ron

    Me Guest

    On 25/02/2013 10:32 p.m., David Hare-Scott wrote:
    > nospam wrote:
    >> In article <2013022421000240977-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    >>> ...but there it is, another source of information for an owner of a
    >>> used camera, exploring its features.

    >> hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
    >> solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
    >> in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
    >> looking for answers.

    > Where is this claimed?

    His ramble is on the "about" page on his site.

    > What lies has he been caught in?

    Here's one:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7100.htm#lens
    "You're always on your own with off-brand lenses like Sigma. Readers
    tell me that their Sigma 105 Macros don't work on the D7100."

    Considering that the D7100 won't ship to his beloved "readers" until
    some time in March, that looks very much like a lie.
    His lack of photos of his "growing family" (who need your support) taken
    with the D7100 he's "reviewed" are another hint.

    He can be entertaining - but never take his opinion seriously.
    Me, Feb 25, 2013
  11. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <kgfb20$db9$>, David Hare-Scott
    <> wrote:

    > > hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
    > > solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
    > > in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
    > > looking for answers.

    > Where is this claimed?

    <http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm>
    This website is my way of giving back to our community. It is a work
    of fiction, entirely the product of my own imagination. This website
    is my personal opinion. To use words of Ansel Adams on page 193 of
    his autobiography, this site is my "aggressive personal opinion," and
    not a "logical presentation of fact."
    I have the energy and sense of humor of a three-year old, so
    remember, this is a personal website, and never presented as fact. I
    enjoy making things up for fun, as does The Onion, and I publish them
    here ‹ even on this page.

    > What lies has he been caught in?

    the 'left handed' nikon on the main page is the biggest example,
    especially where he said he didn't flip 'the negative'. he shoots
    digital. there is no negative to flip. he flipped it in photoshop. he
    also claims he wears his watch on his right hand but if you look at
    other photos of him, that too is a lie. he also claims that the
    handgrip is made from whale penises. that might be funny, if he was in
    1st grade.

    another example is where he says jpeg is better than raw and how raw
    takes enormous amounts of time. both totally false and *very*
    misleading.

    it's one thing to run a satire site where people know it's full of
    stupid, supposedly funny, stuff. people expect that at sites like the
    onion. it's another when a site is intended as informational and it's
    full of incorrect info, all intentionally wrong.
    nospam, Feb 25, 2013
  12. Ron

    me Guest

    wrote:

    >Depends on whether there's any dust on the sensor now, as compared to
    >when it was new.

    Why? Relatively trivial to clean if needed. If you are that paranoid
    about dust on the sensor you might want to reconsider a dslr. Various
    levels of cleaning may or may not be needed depending on your use,
    blowewr/brushes and wet cleaning. Been ther done that on
    D70/D200/D300. I'm particularly hard on my cameras and they need more
    cleaning than the Duck has mentioned. Not a big deal imo.

    >If I don't get around to using a feature or don't learn how to use it
    >for a few months and then I find out that something's broken, the short
    >used-goods warranty will have run out and I'll be stuck with a defective
    >body. This thing has a lot of features and I'll probably get around to
    >exercising most everything but we'll see how that goes. It's a
    >significant step up from my D40.

    Then as the Duck has mentioned maybe have it evaluated by someone
    knowledgable. Similar to having a mechanic check out a used car or
    have a house inspected prior to making an offer.
    me, Feb 25, 2013
  13. Ron

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, me
    <> wrote:

    > >Depends on whether there's any dust on the sensor now, as compared to
    > >when it was new.

    > Why? Relatively trivial to clean if needed. If you are that paranoid
    > about dust on the sensor you might want to reconsider a dslr. Various
    > levels of cleaning may or may not be needed depending on your use,
    > blowewr/brushes and wet cleaning. Been ther done that on
    > D70/D200/D300. I'm particularly hard on my cameras and they need more
    > cleaning than the Duck has mentioned. Not a big deal imo.

    compact p&s cameras are not immune to dust, and with those, you can't
    pop the lens off and clean it.

    it's a *lot* easier with a dslr.
    nospam, Feb 26, 2013
  14. Ron

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/25/2013 6:30 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, me
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Depends on whether there's any dust on the sensor now, as compared to
    >>> when it was new.

    >> Why? Relatively trivial to clean if needed. If you are that paranoid
    >> about dust on the sensor you might want to reconsider a dslr. Various
    >> levels of cleaning may or may not be needed depending on your use,
    >> blowewr/brushes and wet cleaning. Been ther done that on
    >> D70/D200/D300. I'm particularly hard on my cameras and they need more
    >> cleaning than the Duck has mentioned. Not a big deal imo.

    > compact p&s cameras are not immune to dust, and with those, you can't
    > pop the lens off and clean it.
    >
    > it's a *lot* easier with a dslr.

    Stop the presses! Either "nospam" copied-&-pasted those asterisks
    into his above reply, or...or...or...he actually used his "Shift"
    key!

    (Whoa, I was wrong; a computer keyboard's number pad contains an
    exclusive "*" key.)

    John
    John Turco, Feb 27, 2013