D80 & white balance

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nospam, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. Nospam

    Nospam Guest

    Hi all,

    do you set white balance on the camera if you are shooting in RAW?

    I am researching software to process the raw images and they say that
    you adjust the white balance here.

    Is that just optional if it is wrong in the first place or is that just
    the way it works.

    In the good old days white balance was to stick a filter on the front of
    the lens.

    It just dawned on me that the is an additional way to adjust exposure,
    in addition to adjusting the shutter and aperture you can adjust the ISO
    of each frame. In the old days you shot a film at one ISO, could push a
    film but only all shoots. Digital photography is getting to sounds more
    and more appealing all the time.

    Well back to reading.

    Thanks everyone.

    --
    Nospam
    Nospam, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Nospam
    <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > do you set white balance on the camera if you are shooting in RAW?

    you can, but if you forget it's no big deal. all it does is write the
    setting to a tag in the raw file which the raw converter can read and
    use it as a starting point.

    > I am researching software to process the raw images and they say that
    > you adjust the white balance here.

    that's one of the advantages of raw.

    > Is that just optional if it is wrong in the first place or is that just
    > the way it works.

    either way. if you get it right in the camera it's one less thing to
    do later, and if you get it wrong in the camera, you can still fix it.

    > In the good old days white balance was to stick a filter on the front of
    > the lens.

    you can still do that. :)

    > It just dawned on me that the is an additional way to adjust exposure,
    > in addition to adjusting the shutter and aperture you can adjust the ISO
    > of each frame. In the old days you shot a film at one ISO, could push a
    > film but only all shoots. Digital photography is getting to sounds more
    > and more appealing all the time.

    yep, and that's why auto-iso is so useful.
    nospam, Jan 11, 2008