D80 Flash

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by V Green, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. V Green

    V Green Guest

    Have had my D80 for over a year now and am
    pretty pleased with it except for one thing (which
    all digicams I have had have suffered from).

    I call it "the inappropriate & aggressive use of the
    flash when it's really not necessary".

    I can't count the number of times that I've set up for
    a pretty well lit shot (at least according to my standards)
    only to depress the shutter, hear the damn flash pop up
    (#$**&^%), have to stop, go through the steps of overriding
    it, THEN finally get the shot.

    Question is this - is there ANY WAY to tell the D80 to NEVER
    use the flash (on all shooting modes) unless EXPLICITLY told to?

    I couldn't find any info in the manual on this...unless I am blind
    or something.

    On a related topic, I was shooting desert landscapes last weekend
    using high ISO and 30 sec. shutter speed in full manual and the
    damn camera STILL wants to use the flash...only way around this
    was to cup my hands in front of the flash in full manual or switch
    to A mode where the flash can be turned off. To me, "Manual" should
    mean just that - MANUAL control of ALL camera functions, not just
    everything but the stinkin' FLASH...

    Thanks for your interest.

    V Green, Jan 28, 2008

  2. V Green

    nospam Guest

    In article <Ib9nj.428$>, V Green
    <> wrote:

    > Question is this - is there ANY WAY to tell the D80 to NEVER
    > use the flash (on all shooting modes) unless EXPLICITLY told to?

    use the p/s/a/m modes, not the scene modes.

    > I couldn't find any info in the manual on this...unless I am blind
    > or something.

    page 40.

    nospam, Jan 28, 2008

  3. On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:19:25 -0700, V Green <> wrote:
    > Have had my D80 for over a year now and am
    > pretty pleased with it except for one thing (which
    > all digicams I have had have suffered from).
    >
    > I call it "the inappropriate & aggressive use of the
    > flash when it's really not necessary".
    >
    > I can't count the number of times that I've set up for
    > a pretty well lit shot (at least according to my standards)
    > only to depress the shutter, hear the damn flash pop up
    > (#$**&^%), have to stop, go through the steps of overriding
    > it, THEN finally get the shot.
    >
    > Question is this - is there ANY WAY to tell the D80 to NEVER
    > use the flash (on all shooting modes) unless EXPLICITLY told to?

    In program/aperture/shutter/manual modes, it only fires the flash if
    it's been manually raised (by pressing the flash release button on the
    front of the body). I believe that some/all of the scene modes allow the
    camera to automatically raise and fire the flash. So, switch to program
    mode and you should be fine.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 28, 2008
  4. V Green

    V Green Guest

    "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:19:25 -0700, V Green <> wrote:
    > > Have had my D80 for over a year now and am
    > > pretty pleased with it except for one thing (which
    > > all digicams I have had have suffered from).
    > >
    > > I call it "the inappropriate & aggressive use of the
    > > flash when it's really not necessary".
    > >
    > > I can't count the number of times that I've set up for
    > > a pretty well lit shot (at least according to my standards)
    > > only to depress the shutter, hear the damn flash pop up
    > > (#$**&^%), have to stop, go through the steps of overriding
    > > it, THEN finally get the shot.
    > >
    > > Question is this - is there ANY WAY to tell the D80 to NEVER
    > > use the flash (on all shooting modes) unless EXPLICITLY told to?

    > In program/aperture/shutter/manual modes, it only fires the flash if
    > it's been manually raised (by pressing the flash release button on the
    > front of the body). I believe that some/all of the scene modes allow the
    > camera to automatically raise and fire the flash. So, switch to program
    > mode and you should be fine.
    >
    > -dms

    I just tried again, and it's just as you say...

    I must have not been in M when I was shooting
    that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    have come in handy).

    Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?
    Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    decision I take issue with.

    V Green, Jan 28, 2008
  5. V Green

    N Guest

    "V Green" <> wrote in message

    > I just tried again, and it's just as you say...
    >
    > I must have not been in M when I was shooting
    > that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    > more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    > have come in handy).

    Not really. Flick the power switch to the right and the LCD light will come
    on.

    > Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    > on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?
    > Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    > having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    > agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    > decision I take issue with.

    I'm surprised you find the A/S decisions correct most of the time. Most D80
    users complain that the camera frequently over-exposes.

    N, Jan 28, 2008
  6. "V Green" <> wrote:

    >> > Question is this - is there ANY WAY to tell the D80 to NEVER
    >> > use the flash (on all shooting modes) unless EXPLICITLY told to?

    >> In program/aperture/shutter/manual modes, it only fires the flash if
    >> it's been manually raised (by pressing the flash release button on the
    >> front of the body). I believe that some/all of the scene modes allow the
    >> camera to automatically raise and fire the flash. So, switch to program
    >> mode and you should be fine.

    >I just tried again, and it's just as you say...
    >
    >I must have not been in M when I was shooting

    And neither in S nor A nor P.

    >that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    >more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    >have come in handy).

    Did you try turning the power switch all the way to right beyond the "on"
    position? That is one of the nice icings on the D80 that you can illuminate
    the settings without wasting a lot of power for the big display.
    AFAIR the duration of the illumination can even be configured in the
    settings.

    >Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    >on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?

    I just checked, in P mode the flash behaves exactly like in A, S, or M.

    >Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    >having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    >agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    >decision I take issue with.

    I just checked: even in scene or Auto mode once you've turned off the flash
    using the flash button and the rear dial the flash will stay off until
    either you change the flash setting again or you turn off the camera. For me
    that's good enough because the D80 consumes _very_ little power in standby
    and you can just keep it turned on all evening.

    The other flash configuration options in the custom configuration menu are
    available for M/A/S/P only but not for scene or Auto.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 28, 2008
  7. On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:47:30 -0700, V Green <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:19:25 -0700, V Green <> wrote:
    >> > Have had my D80 for over a year now and am
    >> > pretty pleased with it except for one thing (which
    >> > all digicams I have had have suffered from).
    >> >
    >> > I call it "the inappropriate & aggressive use of the
    >> > flash when it's really not necessary".
    >> >
    >> > I can't count the number of times that I've set up for
    >> > a pretty well lit shot (at least according to my standards)
    >> > only to depress the shutter, hear the damn flash pop up
    >> > (#$**&^%), have to stop, go through the steps of overriding
    >> > it, THEN finally get the shot.
    >> >
    >> > Question is this - is there ANY WAY to tell the D80 to NEVER
    >> > use the flash (on all shooting modes) unless EXPLICITLY told to?

    >> In program/aperture/shutter/manual modes, it only fires the flash if
    >> it's been manually raised (by pressing the flash release button on the
    >> front of the body). I believe that some/all of the scene modes allow the
    >> camera to automatically raise and fire the flash. So, switch to program
    >> mode and you should be fine.
    >>
    >> -dms
    >>

    > I just tried again, and it's just as you say...
    >
    > I must have not been in M when I was shooting
    > that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    > more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    > have come in handy).

    Use the built-in backlight. Move the power switch one setting over from
    "on" to turn the light on for a few seconds. Somewhere in the custom
    functions menu is the setting for how long "a few seconds" is. The power
    switch is spring-loaded in that setting, so when you let go, it will
    snap back to the usual "on" position.

    > Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    > on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?
    > Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    > having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    > agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    > decision I take issue with.

    In "P", the flash only fires when manually raised, whereas in Auto, the
    camera will raise it if it thinks it's necessary. So, just go into P
    mode and you should be fine.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 28, 2008
  8. V Green

    Mr. G D Geen Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > In "P", the flash only fires when manually raised, whereas in Auto, the
    > camera will raise it if it thinks it's necessary. So, just go into P
    > mode and you should be fine.
    >
    > -dms

    This seems like a step backwards. My D70 only ever fires if I manually
    raise the flash unit. I don't have it in front of me now but it was a
    menu setting on the D70. -G

    Mr. G D Geen, Jan 28, 2008
  9. V Green

    BRH Guest

    > I just tried again, and it's just as you say...
    >
    > I must have not been in M when I was shooting
    > that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    > more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    > have come in handy).
    >
    > Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    > on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?
    > Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    > having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    > agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    > decision I take issue with.

    Think of Program Mode ("P") as the same as Automatic, but without the
    flash. The nice thing about P mode is that a) it will not allow the
    flash to automatically pop-up, and b) you can easily override either the
    shutter or aperture value that it suggests, if you want to. For that
    reason alone, most of the time I shoot in P mode.

    HTH....

    BRH, Jan 28, 2008
  10. On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:51:42 -0600, Mr. G D Geen <> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >> In "P", the flash only fires when manually raised, whereas in Auto, the
    >> camera will raise it if it thinks it's necessary. So, just go into P
    >> mode and you should be fine.
    >>

    > This seems like a step backwards. My D70 only ever fires if I manually
    > raise the flash unit. I don't have it in front of me now but it was a
    > menu setting on the D70. -G

    The point of Auto mode on the D80 is that it's a "camera does everything
    for you" mode. I don't have the camera or manual in front of me right
    now, but I think that includes auto-WB, auto-ISO, only the central focus
    point is live, matrix metering, etc.. Letting the camera decide whether
    or not the flash should fire is consistent with that mode. If you don't
    like it, just turn the mode dial to 'P', and you get full manual control
    of everything except for shutter/aperture.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 28, 2008
  11. V Green

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:47:30 -0700, V Green <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message

    > >> In program/aperture/shutter/manual modes, it only fires the flash if
    > >> it's been manually raised (by pressing the flash release button on the
    > >> front of the body). I believe that some/all of the scene modes allow the
    > >> camera to automatically raise and fire the flash. So, switch to program
    > >> mode and you should be fine.
    > >>
    > >> -dms
    > >>

    > > I just tried again, and it's just as you say...
    > >
    > > I must have not been in M when I was shooting
    > > that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    > > more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    > > have come in handy).

    > Use the built-in backlight. Move the power switch one setting over from
    > "on" to turn the light on for a few seconds. Somewhere in the custom
    > functions menu is the setting for how long "a few seconds" is. The power
    > switch is spring-loaded in that setting, so when you let go, it will
    > snap back to the usual "on" position.

    Yeh, I knew about this but the duration was/is too
    short to allow much fiddling. I will investigate
    the setting for making it longer.

    > > Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    > > on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?
    > > Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    > > having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    > > agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    > > decision I take issue with.

    > In "P", the flash only fires when manually raised, whereas in Auto, the
    > camera will raise it if it thinks it's necessary. So, just go into P
    > mode and you should be fine.

    I think the Scene modes do this too. That's where I noticed
    it first - I am almost always shooting landscapes (out here
    in Arizona - Wide Angle country) and Landscape mode tends
    to force focus to INF but also seems to enable the flash - a
    dumb choice when you're shooting a landscape.

    I'll just start using P mode. Lots to learn with this cam, even
    after having it awhile.

    V Green, Jan 28, 2008
  12. V Green

    V Green Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message

    > >> In program/aperture/shutter/manual modes, it only fires the flash if
    > >> it's been manually raised (by pressing the flash release button on the
    > >> front of the body). I believe that some/all of the scene modes allow the
    > >> camera to automatically raise and fire the flash. So, switch to program
    > >> mode and you should be fine.

    > >I just tried again, and it's just as you say...
    > >
    > >I must have not been in M when I was shooting

    > And neither in S nor A nor P.
    >
    > >that night...should have checked the LCD status panel
    > >more carefully I guess (little LED pocket flashlight would
    > >have come in handy).

    > Did you try turning the power switch all the way to right beyond the "on"
    > position? That is one of the nice icings on the D80 that you can illuminate
    > the settings without wasting a lot of power for the big display.
    > AFAIR the duration of the illumination can even be configured in the
    > settings.
    >
    > >Anyway, sorry to trouble you all...how about your thoughts
    > >on how to keep the flash OFF in Scene or Auto/P modes?

    > I just checked, in P mode the flash behaves exactly like in A, S, or M.
    >
    > >Any chance? Or is that sort of defeating the purpose of
    > >having the camera make all the decisions for you? I usually
    > >agree on its choices of aperture/shutter, it's only the flash
    > >decision I take issue with.

    > I just checked: even in scene or Auto mode once you've turned off the flash
    > using the flash button and the rear dial the flash will stay off until
    > either you change the flash setting again or you turn off the camera. For me
    > that's good enough because the D80 consumes _very_ little power in standby
    > and you can just keep it turned on all evening.

    OK, I think you've answered that one - what I was wondering
    was if there was any way to keep that setting between power
    cycles. Sounds like there isn't.

    V Green, Jan 28, 2008
  13. V Green

    nospam Guest

    In article <fnktme$10f$>, Mr. G D Geen <>
    wrote:

    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > > In "P", the flash only fires when manually raised, whereas in Auto, the
    > > camera will raise it if it thinks it's necessary. So, just go into P
    > > mode and you should be fine.
    > >

    > This seems like a step backwards. My D70 only ever fires if I manually
    > raise the flash unit. I don't have it in front of me now but it was a
    > menu setting on the D70. -G

    the d70 will also automatically raise the flash when needed in the
    scene modes. only in p/s/a/m will it stay down.

    nospam, Jan 28, 2008
  14. "V Green" <> wrote:
    >it first - I am almost always shooting landscapes (out here
    >in Arizona - Wide Angle country) and Landscape mode tends
    >to force focus to INF but also seems to enable the flash - a
    >dumb choice when you're shooting a landscape.

    Actually no. In landscape mode the flash is turned of and you cannot even
    enable it using the flash button and rear dial.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 29, 2008
  15. V Green

    > "V Green" <> wrote:
    > >it first - I am almost always shooting landscapes (out here
    > >in Arizona - Wide Angle country) and Landscape mode tends
    > >to force focus to INF but also seems to enable the flash - a
    > >dumb choice when you're shooting a landscape.

    > Actually no. In landscape mode the flash is turned of and you cannot even
    > enable it using the flash button and rear dial.
    >
    > jue

    *sigh*

    OK. I will make the time sometime soon to
    take the D80 out somewhere and experiment with
    things and find out exactly what I can and can't
    get away with. I could swear that the flash was
    activating in modes you all have told me that it
    couldn't be, but that just might be my
    faulty recollection of the moment.

    Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

    V Green, Jan 29, 2008
  16. V Green

    nospam Guest

    In article <LZvnj.477$>, V Green <>
    wrote:

    > > >it first - I am almost always shooting landscapes (out here
    > > >in Arizona - Wide Angle country) and Landscape mode tends
    > > >to force focus to INF but also seems to enable the flash - a
    > > >dumb choice when you're shooting a landscape.

    > > Actually no. In landscape mode the flash is turned of and you cannot even
    > > enable it using the flash button and rear dial.

    > OK. I will make the time sometime soon to
    > take the D80 out somewhere and experiment with
    > things and find out exactly what I can and can't
    > get away with. I could swear that the flash was
    > activating in modes you all have told me that it
    > couldn't be, but that just might be my
    > faulty recollection of the moment.

    according to page 25 of the manual, landscape, night landscape and
    sports modes turn off the flash and autofocus assist lamp.

    nospam, Jan 29, 2008
  17. V Green <> wrote:

    > "J?rgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >> "V Green" <> wrote:
    >> >it first - I am almost always shooting landscapes (out here
    >> >in Arizona - Wide Angle country) and Landscape mode tends
    >> >to force focus to INF but also seems to enable the flash - a
    >> >dumb choice when you're shooting a landscape.

    >> Actually no. In landscape mode the flash is turned of and you cannot even
    >> enable it using the flash button and rear dial.
    >>
    >> jue

    > *sigh*

    > OK. I will make the time sometime soon to
    > take the D80 out somewhere and experiment with
    > things and find out exactly what I can and can't
    > get away with. I could swear that the flash was
    > activating in modes you all have told me that it
    > couldn't be, but that just might be my
    > faulty recollection of the moment.

    Is it possible to get hold of a manual for this camera?

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 29, 2008
  18. V Green

    nospam Guest

    <http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D80_noprint.pdf>

    nospam, Jan 29, 2008
  19. V Green

    V Green Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > V Green <> wrote:
    >
    > > "J?rgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Actually no. In landscape mode the flash is turned of and you cannot even
    > >> enable it using the flash button and rear dial.
    > >>
    > >> jue

    > > *sigh*

    > > OK. I will make the time sometime soon to
    > > take the D80 out somewhere and experiment with
    > > things and find out exactly what I can and can't
    > > get away with. I could swear that the flash was
    > > activating in modes you all have told me that it
    > > couldn't be, but that just might be my
    > > faulty recollection of the moment.

    > Is it possible to get hold of a manual for this camera?

    I have one.

    It's not the manual's fault, it's the operator's ;-)

    V Green, Jan 30, 2008
  20. Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >Is it possible to get hold of a manual for this camera?

    They come with the camera, are available for order on the Nikon web site,
    and can be downloaded as PDF from the Nikon web site. However printing of
    the downloaded manual is only possible if you are a registered owner of a
    D80.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 30, 2008