D80 Firmware update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Just D, Feb 23, 2007.

  1. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Here is a very nice link with the manual for the firmware update.

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...WxlY29udmVydGVyIDU1LTIwMA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    It's not absolutely clear for me. The site provides a very detailed info
    about firmware update, but here is one moment that I'm not sure that I
    understood correctly. Doesn't matter which way I want to go, using USB or
    Card Reader. There are two parts of the firmware, A and B. I understood that
    I need to copy the part A to the root of the card, insert the card into the
    camera, turn it on, then update the firmware using the menu. That's ok.
    Next. I'm not sure that I can turn the camera off after the first part is
    updated to take the card off, write the second part to the card, then insert
    into the camera. Can I do these operations with the camera and the card
    while the camera if ON? Or I need to always turn the camera off when I
    connect/disconnect to the computer using USB port, replace/remove/insert a
    SDHC card, etc.? I know that can't turn the camera off if the firmware
    update if not accomplished. But what should I do between A and B parts?
    Could anybody please clarify me that? When the part A is updated I can see
    the info that it's done, check the version number, etc. Can I shut the
    camera off to write the second part of the firmware to the media to continue
    update?

    I'm sure there are many people who did that a lot of times and this question
    is pretty simple for them.

    Thanks,
    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 23, 2007

  2. Just D

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:00:55 -0700, Just D wrote:

    > I know that can't turn the camera off if the firmware
    > update if not accomplished. But what should I do between A and B parts?
    > Could anybody please clarify me that? When the part A is updated I can see
    > the info that it's done, check the version number, etc. Can I shut the
    > camera off to write the second part of the firmware to the media to continue
    > update?
    >
    > I'm sure there are many people who did that a lot of times and this question
    > is pretty simple for them.

    From what Nikon is saying, there are two completely independent
    firmware updates that have to be made. You could update the A chip
    in the camera, turn it off and update the B chip a month later if
    you want. They seem to be saying that the camera will operate if
    either the A or B update is made, but not both, but . . . they also
    indicate that if only one update is made that they can't guarantee
    that the camera will operate properly. So it appears that you don't
    have to worry about turning the camera off after only one of the
    updates is made, since it's not as if they are two halves of a
    single EPROM(or whatever) program in the camera, but two independent
    files, each probably controlling different functions in the camera.
    For that matter, the D80 probably has more than one internal CPU,
    and CPU A that operates from EPROM A probably doesn't see EPROM B
    and vice-versa for CPU B, which is another way of saying that each
    EPROM is self contained and you don't have to worry about turning
    off the camera after only one part has been updated. If you now
    re-read the instructions it may be a little clearer, assuming that

    ASAAR, Feb 23, 2007

  3. Just D

    M-M Guest

    I plugged the camera into the computer with the USB. Copied A to the
    camera. Updated via the menu. Turned camera off. Turned camera on.
    Copied B to the camera. Updated via menu. Turned camera off. Done.

    Seems to work fine.

    m-m

    M-M, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Just D

    Just D Guest

    "M-M" <> wrote in message
    >I plugged the camera into the computer with the USB. Copied A to the
    > camera. Updated via the menu. Turned camera off. Turned camera on.
    > Copied B to the camera. Updated via menu. Turned camera off. Done.
    > Seems to work fine.

    Yes, I've done the same after got the official answer from Nikon. It worked.
    Their mostly TOO detailed instructions missed this moment, there were
    several warnings like don't unplug, turn off, take the media off from the
    camera, operate the buttons or other controls, etc. while you're updating
    but they didn't say if it's possible to turn it off between two different
    updates. It was looking it's possible but I wanted to know for sure.

    Thanks,
    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 23, 2007
  5. Just D

    Hal Lowe Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:43:36 -0700, "Just D" <> wrote:

    >"M-M" <> wrote in message
    >>I plugged the camera into the computer with the USB. Copied A to the
    >> camera. Updated via the menu. Turned camera off. Turned camera on.
    >> Copied B to the camera. Updated via menu. Turned camera off. Done.
    >> Seems to work fine.

    >Yes, I've done the same after got the official answer from Nikon. It worked.
    >Their mostly TOO detailed instructions missed this moment, there were
    >several warnings like don't unplug, turn off, take the media off from the
    >camera, operate the buttons or other controls, etc. while you're updating
    >but they didn't say if it's possible to turn it off between two different
    >updates. It was looking it's possible but I wanted to know for sure.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Just D.

    Definitely better to be safe...

    I just completed the upgrade as well. The only thing that I hadn't
    thought of before reading the instructions was to reformat the card
    after completing A and before completing B. I also made sure to
    reformat again after completing the B upgrade.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.cafepress.com/halogos (unique logo t-shirts, mugs & more)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)