    the funky midtone briteness on my Nikon D80? seems like Nikon should
    be providing this to us free since it's their problem... Anyway,
    anyone have some good curves to fix the problem?
    spydersweb34, Nov 7, 2007

  2. spydersweb34 wrote:

    > is there are place where I can download free custom tone curves to fix
    > the funky midtone briteness on my Nikon D80? seems like Nikon should
    > be providing this to us free since it's their problem... Anyway,
    > anyone have some good curves to fix the problem?

    Get a copy of Nikon's software and make your own custom curves and upload
    them to your camera.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 7, 2007

  3. spydersweb34

    spydersweb34 Guest

    Thanks Rita for the reply, but your solution is difficult. I bought
    the D80 in the US and now am in Africa long-term on a variety of
    shoots. I don't have whatever Nikon software you're suggesting to use
    and I don't even know how to get it - somehow I've managed to never
    need Nikon softare, thanks to Adobe. Also, I need just one curve to
    fix the problem and I would prefer not to have to learn a whole new
    software just to do this. You know if someone has created these
    curves already and has them online for download? Seems like this D80
    problem is so ubiquitous that some kind soul out there will do the
    right thing and put these out there. MErci, Thomas

    spydersweb34, Nov 7, 2007
  4. spydersweb34 wrote:

    > Thanks Rita for the reply, but your solution is difficult. I bought
    > the D80 in the US and now am in Africa long-term on a variety of
    > shoots. I don't have whatever Nikon software you're suggesting to use
    > and I don't even know how to get it - somehow I've managed to never
    > need Nikon softare, thanks to Adobe. Also, I need just one curve to
    > fix the problem and I would prefer not to have to learn a whole new
    > software just to do this. You know if someone has created these
    > curves already and has them online for download? Seems like this D80
    > problem is so ubiquitous that some kind soul out there will do the
    > right thing and put these out there. MErci, Thomas

    Understand. Unfortunately you will need to use the Nikon software to upload
    the custom curve to your camera. I played with them when I had my D70 with
    great success. Here's a thread of where to find them. This is for the D70,
    but someone else might be able to point you in the right direction. Trust
    me, you eventually will end up tweaking your own curves once you get
    started.

    <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=11239112>

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 7, 2007
  5. spydersweb34

    Paul Furman Guest

    spydersweb34 wrote:
    > Thanks Rita for the reply, but your solution is difficult. I bought
    > the D80 in the US and now am in Africa long-term on a variety of
    > shoots. I don't have whatever Nikon software you're suggesting to use
    > and I don't even know how to get it - somehow I've managed to never
    > need Nikon softare, thanks to Adobe. Also, I need just one curve to
    > fix the problem and I would prefer not to have to learn a whole new
    > software just to do this. You know if someone has created these
    > curves already and has them online for download? Seems like this D80
    > problem is so ubiquitous that some kind soul out there will do the
    > right thing and put these out there. MErci, Thomas

    What's the problem that needs fixing? Just curious...
    This guy has a variety of curves, maybe the one you need:

    Paul Furman, Nov 7, 2007
  6. spydersweb34

    Boskey Guest

    "spydersweb34" <> wrote in message
    Thanks Rita for the reply, but your solution is difficult. I bought
    the D80 in the US and now am in Africa long-term on a variety of
    shoots. I don't have whatever Nikon software you're suggesting to use
    and I don't even know how to get it - somehow I've managed to never
    need Nikon softare, thanks to Adobe. Also, I need just one curve to
    fix the problem and I would prefer not to have to learn a whole new
    software just to do this. You know if someone has created these
    curves already and has them online for download? Seems like this D80
    problem is so ubiquitous that some kind soul out there will do the
    right thing and put these out there. MErci, Thomas

    I have read in other NG's that this is common in the D80 matrix meter. On
    the Nikonian website they often refer to Thom Hogan's take on the subject.
    His review is here, http://www.bythom.com/d80review.htm He did have some
    curves included with his D200 eBook, perhaps he has some available in his
    D80 eBook. I have tried curves on my D200 from here,
    http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/ They were okay, but I later did some
    modifications. You will need Nikon software to load the curves into your
    camera and to modify them to suit your own tastes. Camera Control Pro is
    needed. It was originally part of Nikon Capture, but I don't think Capture
    supports the D80.
    Boskey, Nov 8, 2007