D80 at Costco

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by V Green, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. V Green

    V Green Guest

    All:

    Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
    the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
    is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

    I am a big fan of Nikon glass, currently using an
    E990 and in the past a E900 and a F1 back in the
    film days.

    I am lusting after this cam, and have also looked
    at the Canon Rebel xTi.

    The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
    RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
    which the xTi has addressed.

    Is this such a big deal, especially if you're a lifetime
    amateur and already take good care when changing
    lenses? I backpack and hike extensively, and WILL
    be changing lenses in the field (not constantly - living
    out West means pretty much that I have a wide-angle
    on most of the time - it's a "big open" out here). I realize
    that there are lesser Nikons with 10MP resolution
    that I wouldn't need to worry about dust with, but I
    want lens flexibility (I have a wide angle and a fisheye
    for my 990 which I use quite a bit and would likely
    buy these again for the D80).

    I'm also aware that the xTi is the lighter of the two, but not
    by that much, and I'm OK with that.

    Thanks for any input on this.
    V Green, Nov 12, 2006

  2. V Green

    Jim Blue Guest

    V Green wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
    > the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
    > is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

    18-55 and 55-200
    Jim Blue, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Jim Blue wrote:
    > V Green wrote:
    >> All:
    >>
    >> Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
    >> the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
    >> is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

    > 18-55 and 55-200

    both really low-end lenses. The D80 is normally supplied with the 18~70
    (good glass, good build) or the new 18~135 (plastic mount, kit lens quality)
    Not Disclosed, Nov 12, 2006
  4. V Green

    Scott W Guest

    V Green wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
    > the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
    > is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.
    >
    > I am a big fan of Nikon glass, currently using an
    > E990 and in the past a E900 and a F1 back in the
    > film days.
    >
    > I am lusting after this cam, and have also looked
    > at the Canon Rebel xTi.
    >
    > The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
    > RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
    > which the xTi has addressed.

    Dust on the sensor is just not that big a problem. If this is the only
    thing keeping you from
    buying the D80 I would just buy it.

    Scott
    Scott W, Nov 12, 2006
  5. V Green

    bmoag Guest

    The camera is awesome, the lenses not.
    However this is an excellent value for a beginner.
    If you progress in your knowledge and ultimately get a better lens you will
    be able to appreciate the value of better quality glass.
    bmoag, Nov 12, 2006
  6. V Green

    Steven Guest

    Steven, Nov 12, 2006
  7. Steven wrote:
    > Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.
    >
    > Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.

    Choice of a camera should include the handling, in addition to all the
    other features. By all reports, the Nikon handles very well. I would
    expect any bugs in the D80 to be resolved by firmware upgrades, just as
    Canon do for their cameras.

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 12, 2006
  8. V Green

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:07:20 -0700, "V Green" <>
    wrote:

    >The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
    >RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
    >which the xTi has addressed.

    Dust doesn't do what Canon evidently thinks it does.
    Observe dust, and you'll see it doesn't obediently fall down
    immediately when disturbed, and it certainly isn't attracted to a
    vertically oriented sticky strip below the sensor.
    Anti-dust shakers are a marketing thing (maybe I should say, "scam"?)
    that don't work. Dust just doesn't do what would be necessary for them
    to work.
    There are many solutions for 'dust on the sensor' on the market.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 12, 2006
  9. V Green

    Steven Guest

    the Canon system works pretty well according some owners.

    Its suppose to be a lot better than the one in the alpa.

    You can even find "before and after" examples in some forums.
    Steven, Nov 12, 2006
  10. V Green

    acl Guest

    Steven wrote:
    > Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.
    >
    > Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.
    >
    > Look here all the complains about noise and metering problems.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=20831512

    Did you bother to look there? It's a photo with the built-in flash, at
    f/5.6 and 70mm. The flash has a guide number of 13. The lady seems to
    be more than 2m away to me.
    acl, Nov 12, 2006
  11. V Green

    Pete D Guest

    "Steven" <> wrote in message
    > the Canon system works pretty well according some owners.
    >
    > Its suppose to be a lot better than the one in the alpa.
    >

    > You can even find "before and after" examples in some forums.

    Ultimately the problem is pretty trivial that few actually have more than
    minor problems with. The better camera have a special anti dust coating that
    stops the dust being attracted and stops it from sticking to the AA filter.
    Rarely an issue if you are sensible when changing lenses. Even if you have
    dust on your filter/sensor it will only show up at smaller aperture settings
    in areas that are either out of focus or very light in colour.
    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  12. V Green

    Jack Guest

    "Steven" <> wrote in news:JwK5h.11047$jG4.51848
    @wagner.videotron.net:

    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=20831512

    It is one complaint. All the other posts are answers to this post. I
    would hardly say a camera is bad based on one or even several complaints.
    He is an admitted novice and really doesn't know how to properly use the
    D80. The D80 is an awsome camera.
    Jack
    Jack, Nov 12, 2006
  13. V Green

    Bill Guest

    "V Green" <> wrote in message
    > All:
    >
    > Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
    > the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
    > is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.
    >
    > I am lusting after this cam, and have also looked
    > at the Canon Rebel xTi.

    If you like the handling of the D80, go for it. It beats every other
    10mp camera on the shelves right now, except the Nikon D200, for
    performance and features. It costs a bit more than the XTi, but it
    offers more features, better handling, better viewfinder, and better
    kit lense.

    > The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
    > RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
    > which the xTi has addressed.

    Do a search about dust with DSLR cameras and you'll find that it's a
    non-issue.

    I happen to own the D80, and it's been 2.5 weeks since I bought it and
    it still does not have a single speck on the sensor. I change lenses
    all the time. If the sensor is clean, it has a tendency to stay that
    way due to antistatic coatings on the sensor (filter actually since it
    covers the sensor).

    There are now three cameras on the market with sensors that use
    vibration technology to "clean" the sensor. None of them work as
    suggested...it's just a marketing gimmick.

    > Is this such a big deal, especially if you're a lifetime
    > amateur and already take good care when changing
    > lenses?

    Not an issue at all.

    And even if you do get some dust on the sensor, most of the time it
    won't show in photos. And if it is visible at small apertures like
    f/16 or f/22, the Nikon has a dust reference feature that can be used
    to remove the dust in editing software (I haven't bothered to use it
    on the D80 or the older D70s which I used to borrow a lot).

    In the event you get a few large dust bunnies in there, you can clean
    the sensor with a rocket blower, manual air pump from the hardware
    store, or even with a wet technique using specialized methanol cleaner
    and swabs:

    http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

    > I'm also aware that the xTi is the lighter of the two, but not
    > by that much, and I'm OK with that.

    I originally bought the Rebel XT nearly two years ago because it was
    smaller and lighter. I changed to the much better handling of the
    Nikon D80. Two of the big factors in my change was the handling, and
    the better viewfinder.

    I use the Nikon 18-70 with it the most. I could have bought it with
    the 18-135, and it's not a bad lense, but for less money I was able to
    pickup a used 18-70 from a friend and it's a great little unit.

    And the Rebel XT never really had an issue with dust either. I usually
    just used a rocket blower to clean the dust off the sensor.
    Bill, Nov 13, 2006
  14. V Green

    Bill Guest

    "Steven" <> wrote in message
    > Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.

    Buggy?

    I own the D80 and I can't find a single problem with it. I couldn't
    say that about the Rebel XT when I bought it - it needed a firmware
    update to fix the image review scrolling issue it had new from the
    factory.

    > Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.

    > Look here all the complains about noise and metering problems.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=20831512

    As someone else already pointed out, that was one complaint and it was
    due to user error, not a problem with the camera.

    > more here:
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

    That is not a thread, it's a link to the forums, so it's useless.

    Are you being sarcastic, or trolling perhaps?
    Bill, Nov 13, 2006
  15. In article <>,
    "Bill" <> wrote:

    > And the Rebel XT never really had an issue with dust either. I usually
    > just used a rocket blower to clean the dust off the sensor.

    As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
    used?

    TIA

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
    Ockham's Razor, Nov 13, 2006
  16. V Green

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Nov 13, 2006
  17. In article <121120061952219969%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Ockham's
    > Razor <> wrote:
    > >
    > > As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
    > > used?

    > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;?O=Search&A=details&Q=&
    > sku=318545&is=REG>
    >
    > a squirt of air blows out any dust.

    What is a "rocket blower"? Is it a commercial device or your term for a
    puff of air?

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
    Ockham's Razor, Nov 13, 2006
  18. V Green

    George K Guest

    I t is a commercial product,
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=259157&is=REG&addedTroughType=search.
    The air intake has a filter to help limit any new dust being added to
    the sensor. These devices will only work for non-sticky dust. Some
    dust needs to be removed by a wet cleaning method like the Copperhill
    method.

    Another way around the dust issue is to use software like Bibble,
    http://www.bibblelabs.com/index.html, to remove dust spots in post
    processing.

    George K, Nov 13, 2006
  19. V Green

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:24:04 -0800, Ockham's Razor <>
    wrote:

    >In article <121120061952219969%>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Ockham's
    >> Razor <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
    >> > used?

    >> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;?O=Search&A=details&Q=&
    >> sku=318545&is=REG>
    >>
    >> a squirt of air blows out any dust.

    >What is a "rocket blower"? Is it a commercial device or your term for a
    >puff of air?

    Try this:
    http://tinyurl.com/ymfrd2
    Same URL as above, but without wrapping.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 13, 2006
  20. V Green

    MJG Guest

    V Green wrote:

    > The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
    > RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
    > which the xTi has addressed.

    Personally and this really is just a personal comment I would never ever
    own a DSLR camera again.

    I had a Nikon D50, took great care of it when changing lenses and after
    about three months of use started to notice dark specs on my lighter
    images - caused by - dust on the sensor.

    Ok it can be removed (either at great cost by Nikon or by buying a DIY
    kit, but really why bother????, there are some really great digicams out
    there that take fantastic pics without the need to faff about changing
    lenses and risking getting dust on the CCD.....suggest you shop around
    and get one of these.

    Just my two cents for which I know I risk getting flamed but does this
    face look bovvered?????

    --

    MJG

    (Take THEDOG out to email me)