    technology with more pixels?

    To the curious as to which lens I'm getting: the 18-200 VR, which is so
    back ordered that it may not even be shipping right now.

    Don Wiss, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Don Wiss wrote:

    > I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200.
    > But it weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

    You'll enjoy either one equally well. The D200 and D2x are a bit heavier
    and even more so noticeable with the better glass attached, this is my only
    complaint with both cameras but is a small price to pay for great build
    quality. If weight savings and decent pictures are your primary goal the
    D70/D70s will do just fine.

    > What are the differences? I plan to shoot at a low resolution (I only
    > put pictures on the web), so the 10 MP vs 6 MP does nothing for me. I
    > see the 70s has some modes, which the 200 doesn't have. (It assumes
    > you're a pro and know how to tweak every parameter yourself.) They
    > both have the fill flash mode, which I need for the Mermaid Parade.
    > The difference in price is not an issue.

    The D70s is overkill for web shots. The D200 is an excellent camera and
    everyone that has one really enjoys it. I love mine.

    > The thing that could convince me the extra weight is worth it is the
    > 200 taking better pictures on full auto using the same resolution.
    > The press release says the 200 has a new sensor. Is it actually
    > better? Or just newer technology with more pixels?

    The pics straight from the D200 without post processing are better than the
    D70/D70s

    > To the curious as to which lens I'm getting: the 18-200 VR, which is
    > so back ordered that it may not even be shipping right now.

    I haven't tried the 18-200 so I can't comment on it.

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Per Don Wiss:
    > is worth it is the 200

    One thing that might be relevant is the ability to stay in remote control mode.

    One thing I find inconvenient about my D70s is that even though I put it into
    remote control mode, the mode times out after so-and-so many minutes. I think I
    heard somebody say that the 200's remote control mode persists until the user
    cancels it.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 15, 2006
  4. Don Wiss

    bmoag Guest

    Look at the d50 if you want P&S simplicity. You could have saved a bit of $
    by getting a Sigma or Tamron 18-200. I doubt the Nikon will have
    significantly less barrel distortion at the very widest end of the zoom
    range.
    bmoag, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Don Wiss

    Dimitris M Guest

    The auto off of the remote control is adjustable in the D70 from 1 min to 15
    min. I have mine in 15 min and I find it fine. Anyway, to set again the
    remote mode is two click only.

    The D200 does not have in the body an infrared sensor for the remote
    control. It can be remote controlled by many different ways. The most common
    is via the cable remote control. For the IR remote, it needs an extra IR
    sensor.
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Don Wiss

    Dimitris M Guest

    I have the 18-200 VR and it is an excellent lens for this range. "To good to
    be true". The difference in definition between this lens and the other two
    (Tamron & Sigma) is impressive. I have also the D70.

    The D200 is a little bit havier, but as it is a little bigger, it balances
    better with this "fat" lens. Also D200 have better noise control, so you can
    use it with better results in night parades
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Don Wiss

    cjcampbell Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
    > weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

    Personally, I think the choice now is between the D50 and the D200.
    Yes, the D70s has some extra features, but the consensus is that the
    D50 has better picture quality.

    If you are just ordering a camera for a collection, what do you care
    what it weighs? If you want to take pictures, you have to decide for
    yourself whether the extra resolution and features of the D200 are
    worth the extra money and weight.
    cjcampbell, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Don Wiss

    Scott Chapin Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
    > weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.
    >
    > What are the differences? I plan to shoot at a low resolution (I only put
    > pictures on the web), so the 10 MP vs 6 MP does nothing for me. I see the
    > 70s has some modes, which the 200 doesn't have. (It assumes you're a pro
    > and know how to tweak every parameter yourself.) They both have the fill
    > flash mode, which I need for the Mermaid Parade. The difference in price

    is
    > not an issue.
    >
    > The thing that could convince me the extra weight is worth it is the 200
    > taking better pictures on full auto using the same resolution. The press
    > release says the 200 has a new sensor. Is it actually better? Or just

    newer
    > technology with more pixels?
    >
    > To the curious as to which lens I'm getting: the 18-200 VR, which is so
    > back ordered that it may not even be shipping right now.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    It's probably not fair for me to comment on the D70, as I have a D100 and
    D200. The thing that bothered me about the D70 was lack of easy control. WB,
    ISO and Qual can be selected rapidly on the D100 and even more rapidly on
    the D200. On the D70, I believe you have to go through the menu which is
    slower and difficult (at least for me) in bright sunlight.

    I don't know what modes the D70 has that the D200 doesn't, but the D200 has
    4 shooting menu banks, and 4 custom setting banks. I'll bet you can create
    those modes by utilizing the banks, and then some.

    I like the weight, but along with it goes a rugged and weather resistant
    construction. It just feels good to me, knowing that I can shoot without
    worrying about pampering it.

    Scott
    Scott Chapin, Mar 16, 2006
  9. Don Wiss

    Dimitris M Guest

    > On the D70, I believe you have to go through the menu which is
    > slower and difficult (at least for me) in bright sunlight.

    On D70 you press the WB button and with the wheel you choose the WB you
    need. If you want to calibrate a custom WB (preset), then yes, you have to
    go through the menu. Then you can choose it among the others with the wheel
    as usual.
    --
    Dimitris M
    Dimitris M, Mar 16, 2006
  10. Don Wiss

    l e o Guest

    cjcampbell wrote:
    > Don Wiss wrote:
    >> I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
    >> weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

    > Personally, I think the choice now is between the D50 and the D200.
    > Yes, the D70s has some extra features, but the consensus is that the
    > D50 has better picture quality.
    >
    > If you are just ordering a camera for a collection, what do you care
    > what it weighs? If you want to take pictures, you have to decide for
    > yourself whether the extra resolution and features of the D200 are
    > worth the extra money and weight.

    Can you give us a reason why D50 has better image quality than D70s,
    considering they are released at the same time?
    l e o, Mar 16, 2006
  11. Don Wiss

    Dimitris M Guest

    D50 have no better image quality than D70. D50 have more "consumer" like
    image, as it includes noise reduction algorithms and process ala Canon. In
    D70s, Nikon continues the same as in D70. They does not include such a
    process, as they believe that is better to post process for noise. They
    assume that D70 is addressed to power users (prosumers) and D50 to amateurs.

    My opinion is that they have well done. Post NR is far better. In D200,
    after the marketing success of 20D they have decided to include noise
    reduction to, but user selectable and ajustable.

    The above refers to high ISO noise reduction, not to the long exposure NR.
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Mar 16, 2006
  12. Dimitris M wrote:

    > On D70 you press the WB button and with the wheel you choose the WB
    > you need. If you want to calibrate a custom WB (preset), then yes,
    > you have to go through the menu. Then you can choose it among the
    > others with the wheel as usual.

    That's not entirely true. You can set or "calibrate" a custom WB by simply
    holding the WB button down for several seconds till the top LCD screen
    starts flashing letting you know that it's time to release the shutter. You
    can do the same via the menu, but it's miserably long doing it that way.

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Mar 16, 2006
  13. Don Wiss

    Dimitris M Guest

    You have right Rita. I have forgot it, thanks to remind me.
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Mar 16, 2006
  14. Folks,

    This isn't on-topic for rec.photo.digital.zlr, so could you please trim
    your cross-posting?

    Thanks.
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 16, 2006
  15. "Dimitris M" <> wrote in message
    > D50 have no better image quality than D70. D50 have more "consumer" like
    > image, as it includes noise reduction algorithms and process ala Canon. In
    > D70s, Nikon continues the same as in D70. They does not include such a
    > process, as they believe that is better to post process for noise. They
    > assume that D70 is addressed to power users (prosumers) and D50 to
    > amateurs.
    >
    > My opinion is that they have well done. Post NR is far better. In D200,
    > after the marketing success of 20D they have decided to include noise
    > reduction to, but user selectable and ajustable.
    >
    > The above refers to high ISO noise reduction, not to the long exposure NR.
    > --
    > Dimitris M

    The D50 has a different sensor than the D70s, perhaps that could be the
    difference in image quality between the two. I can't tell the difference,
    so I won't even enter into this debate over which is better but there are
    different sensors in the two cameras.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Mar 16, 2006
  16. Don Wiss

    l e o Guest

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "Dimitris M" <> wrote in message
    >> D50 have no better image quality than D70. D50 have more "consumer" like
    >> image, as it includes noise reduction algorithms and process ala Canon. In
    >> D70s, Nikon continues the same as in D70. They does not include such a
    >> process, as they believe that is better to post process for noise. They
    >> assume that D70 is addressed to power users (prosumers) and D50 to
    >> amateurs.
    >>
    >> My opinion is that they have well done. Post NR is far better. In D200,
    >> after the marketing success of 20D they have decided to include noise
    >> reduction to, but user selectable and ajustable.
    >>
    >> The above refers to high ISO noise reduction, not to the long exposure NR.
    >> --
    >> Dimitris M

    > The D50 has a different sensor than the D70s, perhaps that could be the
    > difference in image quality between the two. I can't tell the difference,
    > so I won't even enter into this debate over which is better but there are
    > different sensors in the two cameras.

    Maybe a different AA filter is a more likely answer. I doubt they have
    another source for a different 6Mp sensor.
    l e o, Mar 16, 2006
  17. Per Dimitris M:
    >Anyway, to set again the
    >remote mode is two click only.

    Agreed, but the user has to get to the camera first....
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 16, 2006
  18. "l e o" <> wrote in message
    > Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >> "Dimitris M" <> wrote in message
    >>> D50 have no better image quality than D70. D50 have more "consumer" like
    >>> image, as it includes noise reduction algorithms and process ala Canon.
    >>> In D70s, Nikon continues the same as in D70. They does not include such
    >>> a process, as they believe that is better to post process for noise.
    >>> They assume that D70 is addressed to power users (prosumers) and D50 to
    >>> amateurs.
    >>>
    >>> My opinion is that they have well done. Post NR is far better. In D200,
    >>> after the marketing success of 20D they have decided to include noise
    >>> reduction to, but user selectable and ajustable.
    >>>
    >>> The above refers to high ISO noise reduction, not to the long exposure
    >>> NR.
    >>> --
    >>> Dimitris M

    >> The D50 has a different sensor than the D70s, perhaps that could be the
    >> difference in image quality between the two. I can't tell the
    >> difference, so I won't even enter into this debate over which is better
    >> but there are different sensors in the two cameras.

    > Maybe a different AA filter is a more likely answer. I doubt they have
    > another source for a different 6Mp sensor.

    From the information I've read, it's a different sensor.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Mar 16, 2006
  19. Don Wiss

    cjcampbell Guest

    l e o wrote:

    > Can you give us a reason why D50 has better image quality than D70s,
    > considering they are released at the same time?

    http://www.bythom.com/D50REVIEW.htm

    Note that although Thom Hogan says in his summary that overall image
    quality is no better than the D70s except for ISO performance, the text
    of his review contradicts that. I think part of the problem that Hogan
    has with the D50 is that it is more "Canon-like," as he puts it, and
    one thing about Thom Hogan: he really likes the Nikon look in pictures.

    This is a typical review of the D50. The D70s is identical to the D70
    except for the slightly larger LCD. You can even download the D70s
    software to your D70 on the Nikon web site.

    The D50 does have a different sensor according to every review that I
    have read. Image quality is almost invariably reported to be better in
    the reviews, especially lower noise and a more pleasing tonal range.

    What the D70 gives you is two command dials. With the D50 you have to
    hold down a button and turn the command dial to set aperture manually.
    Some reviewers like the D50 setup; others don't. Thom Hogan hated it.

    Hogan also thought the auto-focus was too slow.
    cjcampbell, Mar 17, 2006
  20. Don Wiss

    Rob Guest

    >I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
    > weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.
    >
    > What are the differences? I plan to shoot at a low resolution (I only put
    > pictures on the web), so the 10 MP vs 6 MP does nothing for me. I see the
    > 70s has some modes, which the 200 doesn't have. (It assumes you're a pro
    > and know how to tweak every parameter yourself.) They both have the fill
    > flash mode, which I need for the Mermaid Parade. The difference in price
    > is
    > not an issue.
    >
    > The thing that could convince me the extra weight is worth it is the 200
    > taking better pictures on full auto using the same resolution. The press
    > release says the 200 has a new sensor. Is it actually better? Or just
    > newer
    > technology with more pixels?
    >
    > To the curious as to which lens I'm getting: the 18-200 VR, which is so
    > back ordered that it may not even be shipping right now.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Don, I have used the D70, and the D200. I just bought a D200 and glad that I
    did. It take much better pictures. Takes a little more work to learn, and I
    am still learning, but it does seem to be very worth the effort.

    Hope it helps.

    Rob
    Rob, Mar 17, 2006