D70s - Black corners

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mickey Mouse, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong? The
    D70s is only a week old.

    Camera set to auto
    Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    iso 250
    white balance A

    polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)

    image quality
    nef raw
    jpeg fine
    jpeg normal
    jpeg basic
    nef+jpeg

    All five shots have blackening at all four corners

    Mickey

    Mickey Mouse, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Mickey Mouse

    Mark² Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that
    > the four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something
    > wrong? The D70s is only a week old.
    >
    > Camera set to auto
    > Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    > iso 250
    > white balance A
    >
    > polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    > UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)
    >
    > image quality
    > nef raw
    > jpeg fine
    > jpeg normal
    > jpeg basic
    > nef+jpeg
    >
    > All five shots have blackening at all four corners
    >
    > Mickey

    Your post implies that you are using BOTH the UV filter, AND the polarizing
    filter together.
    If so, then this would certainly lead to vignetting as you
    describe...expecially at the wide end of your zoom.
    If you're using a polarizer, you should mount it alone...NOT in addition to
    the UV.
    Use one or the other.
    Not both at the same time.

    With some longer lenses and extra thin filter mounts, you can get away with
    mounting two, but the polarizer should do away with the need for the UV.
    It's of no benefit...

    -M2

    Mark², Nov 11, 2005

  3. Mickey Mouse

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    > four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong?
    > The D70s is only a week old.
    >
    > Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    >
    > polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    > UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)

    > All five shots have blackening at all four corners

    Wide angles and multiple filters sound like a guaranteed recipe for
    vignetting, which is what you're seeing. You can take the filters off, and
    the problem will likely go away. If you really need both filters, you can
    try a longer focal length, and/or a smaller aperture.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:06:17 +1100, "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote:

    >I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    >four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong? The
    >D70s is only a week old.
    >
    >Camera set to auto
    >Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    >iso 250
    >white balance A
    >
    >polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    >UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)
    >
    >image quality
    >nef raw
    >jpeg fine
    >jpeg normal
    >jpeg basic
    >nef+jpeg
    >
    >All five shots have blackening at all four corners
    >
    >Mickey

    Try at a slightly longer focal length.
    You may be getting some vignetting from the two filters; try with none
    or just the polarizer. You shouldn't need the UV filter anyway.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Re: D70s - Black corners - Thanks

    So obvious, the answers to such a dumb question. Nice to know that when you
    need an answer you just have to ask. Thankyou.

    Mickey

    Next Question, I've read that many nikon lenses produced before 1977 are
    compatible with the D70 body if a $35 conversion is used to avoid damage to
    the body. Also, newer lenses (less than 25yrs old) work just fine with the
    D70. Is this also true for the D70s and how can you tell how old a lense
    is?

    Reference: Nikon D70 Digital Field Guide.

    Mickey

    Mickey Mouse, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Mickey Mouse

    Jan Guest

    "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
    > I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    > four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong?

    The
    > D70s is only a week old.
    >
    > Camera set to auto
    > Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    > iso 250
    > white balance A
    >
    > polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    > UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)
    >
    > image quality
    > nef raw
    > jpeg fine
    > jpeg normal
    > jpeg basic
    > nef+jpeg
    >
    > All five shots have blackening at all four corners
    >
    > Mickey

    May be stupid remark, but this happened to me:

    The hood was not mounted completely, I had to use lots of force to put it
    into place. I was afraid of breaking some plastic the first time.

    Jan

    Jan, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Mickey Mouse

    Jan Guest

    > So obvious, the answers to such a dumb question. Nice to know that when

    you
    > need an answer you just have to ask. Thankyou.
    >
    > Mickey
    >
    > Next Question, I've read that many nikon lenses produced before 1977 are
    > compatible with the D70 body if a $35 conversion is used to avoid damage

    > the body. Also, newer lenses (less than 25yrs old) work just fine with

    the
    > D70. Is this also true for the D70s and how can you tell how old a lense
    > is?
    >
    > Reference: Nikon D70 Digital Field Guide.
    >

    > Mickey

    Old lenses have pins and will damage the body on the outside. This happens
    also to newer analogue bodies.

    Jan

    Jan, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Mickey Mouse

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    > four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong? The
    > D70s is only a week old.
    >
    > Camera set to auto
    > Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    > iso 250
    > white balance A
    >
    > polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    > UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)
    >
    > image quality
    > nef raw
    > jpeg fine
    > jpeg normal
    > jpeg basic
    > nef+jpeg
    >
    > All five shots have blackening at all four corners
    >
    > Mickey

    Wrong lens, or defective lens. Cropping in post will take care of those
    pictures you have already taken.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Mickey Mouse

    Cudex Guest

    In article <4373fc99$0$28046$>,
    "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote:

    > I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    > four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong? The
    > D70s is only a week old.
    >
    > All five shots have blackening at all four corners

    If it is vignetting which is exagerated by filters Nikon Capture 4 does
    a great job of removing vignetting from 18mm focal length of the 18-70
    Nikkor DX lens.

    Mark

    Cudex, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Mickey Mouse

    Jim Guest

    > I've taken a few test shots of clouds with my D70s and I notice that the
    > four corners of each photo is black. Why is this, is something wrong?
    > The D70s is only a week old.
    >
    > Camera set to auto
    > Lens: 18-70 (pictures taken at 18mm)
    > iso 250
    > white balance A
    >
    > polarizing filter Hoya 67mm PL-CIR
    > UV filter Hoya 67mm (uv0)
    >
    > image quality
    > nef raw
    > jpeg fine
    > jpeg normal
    > jpeg basic
    > nef+jpeg
    >
    > All five shots have blackening at all four corners
    >
    > Mickey

    It is vignetting caused by using too many filters. Another contributing
    cause is using filters which are too thick for wide angle shots. You don't
    need the UV filter with a polarizer anyway.
    Also, you need to buy a polarizer that is designed for use with wide angle
    lenses.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Mickey Mouse

    Mike G. Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > So obvious, the answers to such a dumb question. Nice to know that when you
    > need an answer you just have to ask. Thankyou.
    >
    > Mickey
    >
    > Next Question, I've read that many nikon lenses produced before 1977 are
    > compatible with the D70 body if a $35 conversion is used to avoid damage to
    > the body. Also, newer lenses (less than 25yrs old) work just fine with the
    > D70. Is this also true for the D70s and how can you tell how old a lense
    > is?
    >
    > Reference: Nikon D70 Digital Field Guide.
    >

    > Mickey

    Check this site. May be more than you wanted to know, but the answer is
    there somewhere.

    Nikon F-mount index
    http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmount.htm

    Mike G., Nov 12, 2005
  12. Mickey Mouse

    jimn Guest

    Re: D70s - Black corners - Thanks

    "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote
    >So obvious, the answers to such a dumb question. Nice to know that when you
    >need an answer you just have to ask. Thankyou.
    >
    >Mickey
    >
    >Next Question, I've read that many nikon lenses produced before 1977 are
    >compatible with the D70 body if a $35 conversion is used to avoid damage to
    >the body. Also, newer lenses (less than 25yrs old) work just fine with the
    >D70. Is this also true for the D70s and how can you tell how old a lense
    >is

    The conversion is done on Nikkor lenses pre AI mount. The pre AI moun
    lenses had a small triangular piece of metal mounted on the apertur
    ring which interlocked with the meter on Nikon F's . Nikon introduced th
    AI lens with the F2. Early AI lenses still had the dog ear as well a
    the AI ring. The AI lenses have a small ring at the rear of the bod
    with a second set of f/stop numbers. The ring is notched half wa
    around it's circumference. Later AI lenses dropped the dog ear.
    AI lenses and AI modifieds (properly done) will mount on your D70s..
    but you get no metering.. none. You need an external light meter. Thi
    cripples the camera in my view.so why bother?. I have a D70s., an
    N90s and an Nikon F.. and lenses bought through the years. They all wor
    on the N90s. My good macro stuff is all AI and AI modified, so I kee
    the N90s and the Nikon F to my macro work.
    Ji

    --
    Ji

    jimn, Nov 12, 2005
  13. Mickey Mouse

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Mickey Mouse" <.> writes:
    > Next Question, I've read that many nikon lenses produced before 1977 are
    > compatible with the D70 body if a $35 conversion is used to avoid damage to
    > the body. Also, newer lenses (less than 25yrs old) work just fine with the
    > D70. Is this also true for the D70s and how can you tell how old a lense
    > is?

    Yes, non-AI lenses won't mount on either camera (they can damage it).
    Non-CPU lenses with the AI mount (basically all MF lenses except a few
    special ones like the 45/2.8 AI-P) will mount on the camera but you
    get no exposure metering whatsoever, not even manual metering.

    Paul Rubin, Nov 12, 2005