D7000 sensor tests

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Paleologopoulos, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    Man they look good!!!
    George Paleologopoulos, Nov 8, 2010

  2. George Paleologopoulos

    Bruce Guest

    George Paleologopoulos <> wrote:

    >DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    >Man they look good!!!

    They look *excellent*! The results are very close to those from the
    Pentax K-5. The K-5 uses the same sensor, so that isn't a surprise.

    But what is remarkable is the difference between the Nikon D7000 and
    the Nikon D300s. My colleague, who recently tested the D7000 for a
    magazine review, stated that it made the D300s look distinctly
    ordinary. These results tend to support his view:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/38z9agl

    The D300s is in desperate need of an upgrade, the sooner the better.
    Until then, the best option in Nikon DX is the D7000. I'm *very
    tempted* to buy one as a back up to my battered old D3.
    Bruce, Nov 8, 2010

  3. George Paleologopoulos

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 8, 9:16 am, George Paleologopoulos <>
    wrote:
    > DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    > Man they look good!!!

    Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
    cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    Pentax K10D or K20D.
    RichA, Nov 9, 2010
  4. George Paleologopoulos

    peter Guest

    On 11/9/2010 11:19 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Nov 8, 9:16 am, George Paleologopoulos<>
    > wrote:
    >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    >> Man they look good!!!

    > Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
    > cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    > Pentax K10D or K20D.

    Since my questions are still unanswered, the veracity of anything you
    say cannot be assumed.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Nov 9, 2010
  5. George Paleologopoulos

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos <>
    >wrote:
    >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    >> Man they look good!!!

    >Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
    >cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    >Pentax K10D or K20D.

    At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    supplied by Sony. The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.

    Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    apparently the same.
    Bruce, Nov 9, 2010
  6. George Paleologopoulos

    Me Guest

    On 10/11/2010 7:46 a.m., Bruce wrote:
    > RichA<> wrote:
    >> On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos<>
    >> wrote:
    >>> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    >>> Man they look good!!!

    >> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
    >> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    >> Pentax K10D or K20D.

    > At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    > aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    > supplied by Sony. The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    > revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
    >
    > Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    > apparently the same.

    The chips have slightly different dimensions (not explained by pixel
    count - the pixel pitch is different).
    Both are slightly smaller than (Nikon) standard APS-c chip, with a
    different crop factor, about 1.55 instead of 1.5.
    It's perhaps not such a big deal in terms of effective focal length, but
    I still doubt Nikon would do that if the chip was their own design.
    There was a site: http://www.icworks.com/ with some accurate information
    on previous generation Nikon sensors, but the link seems to be dead.
    Me, Nov 9, 2010
  7. George Paleologopoulos

    Rich Guest

    On Nov 9, 12:31 pm, peter <> wrote:
    > On 11/9/2010 11:19 AM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 8, 9:16 am, George Paleologopoulos<>
    > > wrote:
    > >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    > >> Man they look good!!!

    > > Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue.  Any other Sony-sensored
    > > cameras suffer from this?  I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    > > Pentax K10D or K20D.

    > Since my questions are still unanswered, the veracity of anything you
    > say cannot be assumed.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    If you are clueless about the lower-end Nikons and pixel issues,
    you've been living in a cave.
    Rich, Nov 9, 2010
  8. George Paleologopoulos

    Rich Guest

    On Nov 9, 1:46 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos <>
    > >wrote:
    > >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    > >> Man they look good!!!

    > >Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue.  Any other Sony-sensored
    > >cameras suffer from this?  I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    > >Pentax K10D or K20D.

    > At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    > aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    > supplied by Sony.  The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    > revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
    >
    > Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    > apparently the same.

    Sony Exmor, apparently.
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html
    Rich, Nov 9, 2010
  9. George Paleologopoulos

    peter Guest

    On 11/9/2010 4:02 PM, Me wrote:
    > On 10/11/2010 7:46 a.m., Bruce wrote:
    >> RichA<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
    >>> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    >>> Pentax K10D or K20D.

    >> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    >> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    >> supplied by Sony. The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    >> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
    >>
    >> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    >> apparently the same.
    >>

    > The chips have slightly different dimensions (not explained by pixel
    > count - the pixel pitch is different).
    > Both are slightly smaller than (Nikon) standard APS-c chip, with a
    > different crop factor, about 1.55 instead of 1.5.
    > It's perhaps not such a big deal in terms of effective focal length, but
    > I still doubt Nikon would do that if the chip was their own design.
    > There was a site: http://www.icworks.com/ with some accurate information
    > on previous generation Nikon sensors, but the link seems to be dead.

    Interesting that brucie talks about reports and fails to back it up with
    a link to a reliable report. Sounds like bluster to me.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Nov 9, 2010
  10. George Paleologopoulos

    peter Guest

    On 11/9/2010 5:26 PM, Rich wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 12:31 pm, peter<> wrote:
    >> On 11/9/2010 11:19 AM, RichA wrote:

    >>> Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue. Any other Sony-sensored
    >>> cameras suffer from this? I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    >>> Pentax K10D or K20D.

    >> Since my questions are still unanswered, the veracity of anything you
    >> say cannot be assumed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > If you are clueless about the lower-end Nikons and pixel issues,
    > you've been living in a cave.

    My questions are still unanswered. Don't try to evade by attacking me.
    You will lose.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Nov 9, 2010
  11. George Paleologopoulos

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >On Nov 9, 1:46 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:

    >> >Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue.  Any other Sony-sensored
    >> >cameras suffer from this?  I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    >> >Pentax K10D or K20D.

    >> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    >> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    >> supplied by Sony.  The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    >> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
    >>
    >> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    >> apparently the same.

    >Sony Exmor, apparently.
    >http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html

    However, Nikon Europe has apparently briefed journalists to the effect
    that the sensors in the Nikon D3100 and D7000 are *not* from Sony.

    Has Sony ever claimed that it makes these sensors?
    Bruce, Nov 10, 2010
  12. George Paleologopoulos

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:28:10 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Rich <> wrote:
    : >> >wrote:
    : >> >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    : >> >> Man they look good!!!
    : >>
    : >> >Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue.  Any other Sony-sensored
    : >> >cameras suffer from this?  I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    : >> >Pentax K10D or K20D.
    : >>
    : >> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    : >> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    : >> supplied by Sony.  The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    : >> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
    : >>
    : >> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    : >> apparently the same.
    : >
    : >Sony Exmor, apparently.
    : >http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html
    :
    :
    : However, Nikon Europe has apparently briefed journalists to the effect
    : that the sensors in the Nikon D3100 and D7000 are *not* from Sony.
    :
    : Has Sony ever claimed that it makes these sensors?

    So you're suggesting that Sony's Chinese supplier actually fabricates the
    sensor and ships it directly to Nikon's factory, giving Nikon leave to say
    that they're "not from Sony"? Well, that's probably as honest as any of
    today's capitalist tripe.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2010
  13. George Paleologopoulos

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:28:10 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Rich <> wrote:
    >: >On Nov 9, 1:46 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: >> RichA <> wrote:
    >: >> >On Nov 8, 9:16=A0am, George Paleologopoulos <>
    >: >> >wrote:
    >: >> >> DXOmark has D7000 sensor tests up.
    >: >> >> Man they look good!!!
    >: >>
    >: >> >Apart from the usual Nikon dead-pixel issue.  Any other Sony-sensored
    >: >> >cameras suffer from this?  I saw it with the D80 and D90 but not the
    >: >> >Pentax K10D or K20D.
    >: >>
    >: >> At least in Europe, Nikon appears to have made the photographic media
    >: >> aware that the sensors in the D3100 (14 MP) and D7000 (16 MP) are not
    >: >> supplied by Sony.  The identity of the manufacturer(s) has not been
    >: >> revealed, but they are stated to be designed and developed by Nikon.
    >: >>
    >: >> Other reports suggest that the sensors in the D7000 and Pentax K-5 are
    >: >> apparently the same.
    >: >
    >: >Sony Exmor, apparently.
    >: >http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html
    >:
    >:
    >: However, Nikon Europe has apparently briefed journalists to the effect
    >: that the sensors in the Nikon D3100 and D7000 are *not* from Sony.
    >:
    >: Has Sony ever claimed that it makes these sensors?
    >
    >So you're suggesting that Sony's Chinese supplier actually fabricates the
    >sensor and ships it directly to Nikon's factory, giving Nikon leave to say
    >that they're "not from Sony"? Well, that's probably as honest as any of
    >today's capitalist tripe.

    I'm not suggesting anything, Bob. Faced with several conflicting
    claims and opinions about the source of Nikon's latest two sensors, I
    was actually hoping for some clarification, hence my question.

    So you reckon they're made in China and not by Sony? That muddies the
    waters even further! ;-)
    Bruce, Nov 12, 2010