    I'm sure this has been talked about in the past.. I just want to know
    if anyone has first hand experience with both cameras that could shed
    the light I'm missing out on..

    PitR, Jul 4, 2006

  2. PitR

    JohnR66 Guest

    "PitR" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been reading and it seems that they're exactly the same camera
    > (aside from firmware upgrades and a slightly bigger screen on the 70s,
    > the former which you can update yourself)..
    > According to this, anyway:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp
    >
    > So, is the d70s worth that much more than the d70?
    >
    > I'm sure this has been talked about in the past.. I just want to know
    > if anyone has first hand experience with both cameras that could shed
    > the light I'm missing out on..

    Go for the "s" version. The D70 had a color moire problem that could show in
    some situations. Nikon corrected the issue in the D50 and D70s.
    John

    JohnR66, Jul 4, 2006

  3. PitR

    PitR Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "PitR" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been reading and it seems that they're exactly the same camera
    > > (aside from firmware upgrades and a slightly bigger screen on the 70s,
    > > the former which you can update yourself)..
    > > According to this, anyway:
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp
    > >
    > > So, is the d70s worth that much more than the d70?
    > >
    > > I'm sure this has been talked about in the past.. I just want to know
    > > if anyone has first hand experience with both cameras that could shed
    > > the light I'm missing out on..
    > >

    > Go for the "s" version. The D70 had a color moire problem that could show in
    > some situations. Nikon corrected the issue in the D50 and D70s.
    > John

    Well sure, the D70s is an updated camera, but are these updates worth
    $1000 more?
    I'm sure the D200 is a better camera with features that the D70s
    doesn't have, but this doesn't mean that these features will affect the
    way my pictures will result.

    PitR, Jul 4, 2006
  4. PitR

    Jim Guest

    "PitR" <> wrote in message

    > JohnR66 wrote:
    >> "PitR" <> wrote in message
    >> > I've been reading and it seems that they're exactly the same camera
    >> > (aside from firmware upgrades and a slightly bigger screen on the 70s,
    >> > the former which you can update yourself)..
    >> > According to this, anyway:
    >> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp
    >> >
    >> > So, is the d70s worth that much more than the d70?
    >> >
    >> > I'm sure this has been talked about in the past.. I just want to know
    >> > if anyone has first hand experience with both cameras that could shed
    >> > the light I'm missing out on..
    >> >

    >> Go for the "s" version. The D70 had a color moire problem that could show
    >> in
    >> some situations. Nikon corrected the issue in the D50 and D70s.
    >> John

    > Well sure, the D70s is an updated camera, but are these updates worth
    > $1000 more?

    More like $200. If you already have a D70, the answer must be no. As the
    D70 is no longer available new, anyone buying a new camera has no choice.
    > I'm sure the D200 is a better camera with features that the D70s
    > doesn't have, but this doesn't mean that these features will affect the
    > way my pictures will result.

    The D200 would definitely improve mine, but I am waiting on the replacement
    for the D200 because it really isn't cost effective to replace cameras every
    time a new model comes out.

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 4, 2006
  5. PitR

    frederick Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:

    > Go for the "s" version. The D70 had a color moire problem that could show in
    > some situations. Nikon corrected the issue in the D50 and D70s.
    > John

    The colour moire "problem" is a feature of the weak AA filter which is
    the same for the 70 and 70s. The D50 has a stronger AA filter, hence
    less moire but softer images.
    The bigger screen and a remote cable release are the main differences.
    The firmware is a non-issue - as updated firmware for the D70 can be
    downloaded for free and is very simple to install.

    frederick, Jul 4, 2006
  6. PitR

    J. Clarke Guest

    PitR wrote:

    > JohnR66 wrote:
    >> "PitR" <> wrote in message
    >> > I've been reading and it seems that they're exactly the same camera
    >> > (aside from firmware upgrades and a slightly bigger screen on the 70s,
    >> > the former which you can update yourself)..
    >> > According to this, anyway:
    >> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp
    >> >
    >> > So, is the d70s worth that much more than the d70?
    >> >
    >> > I'm sure this has been talked about in the past.. I just want to know
    >> > if anyone has first hand experience with both cameras that could shed
    >> > the light I'm missing out on..
    >> >

    >> Go for the "s" version. The D70 had a color moire problem that could show
    >> in some situations. Nikon corrected the issue in the D50 and D70s.
    >> John

    > Well sure, the D70s is an updated camera, but are these updates worth
    > $1000 more?

    It is difficult for something that is available for $679 to cost $1000 more
    than something else. Perhaps you have the D70S confused with another
    model?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jul 4, 2006
  7. PitR

    Bill Guest

    PitR wrote:

    >I've been reading and it seems that they're exactly the same camera
    >(aside from firmware upgrades and a slightly bigger screen on the 70s,
    >the former which you can update yourself)..

    There are a few other changes, such as a wired shutter release, better
    eyecup, better battery, etc.

    >So, is the d70s worth that much more than the d70?

    If you don't care about the larger LCD or wired shutter release, then
    no, the D70 is essentially the same for taking photos. The problem might
    be getting a new D70...I can't imagine any place still having stock. But
    if you find one, it's a good way to save some money.

    Make sure you get the 18-70mm kit lense too, unless you have other plans
    already. And if you want, you can buy the better eyecup and put it on
    the older D70.

    Bill, Jul 4, 2006
  8. PitR

    [BnH] Guest

    On the D70 and D70s I played around with ..
    beside the wired remote, bigger screen ... I felt D70s outputs are more
    punchy on the same setting [vivid]

    But if you can get the D200 .. is a totally different beast compared to the
    D70s :)

    [BnH], Jul 4, 2006