    potential damage of the contacts.

    I have a Kenco N-AFo 1.4x Pro300 teleconverter. Can this be used safely,
    or is there also a danger similar to the above?
    Jimmy G, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Jimmy G

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:11:16 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jimmy G"
    <> wrote:

    >I just bought a Nikkor ED 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR Nikkor. The manual stated
    >that the "AF-I teleconverters TC14E or TC20E" should not be used due to
    >potential damage of the contacts.
    >
    >I have a Kenco N-AFo 1.4x Pro300 teleconverter. Can this be used safely,
    >or is there also a danger similar to the above?

    You might give Nikon Tech Support a call. The spec sheet at
    http://www.nikonusa.com/specs/1996NAS.pdf
    states:
    Teleconverter compatibility: TC-14A/TC-201
    These are manual focus teleconverters.

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Jimmy G

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:31:25 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:11:16 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jimmy G"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a Nikkor ED 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR Nikkor. The manual stated
    >>that the "AF-I teleconverters TC14E or TC20E" should not be used due to
    >>potential damage of the contacts.
    >>
    >>I have a Kenco N-AFo 1.4x Pro300 teleconverter. Can this be used safely,
    >>or is there also a danger similar to the above?

    >You might give Nikon Tech Support a call. The spec sheet at
    >http://www.nikonusa.com/specs/1996NAS.pdf
    >states:
    >Teleconverter compatibility: TC-14A/TC-201
    >These are manual focus teleconverters.

    Forgot to add, that even if there wasn't a concern of damage, at all but
    the very short end where the 80-400 is f/4.5 the combined max aperture
    will be greater than f/5.6 and you will lose metering and AF capability
    anyway.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Jimmy G

    Jimmy G Guest

    Thanks. I dropped Nikon a line at the same time I posted this message.

    I considered the metering problem, too. The teleconverter instructions gave
    f/5.6 as the limit for lenses to be used with it. I haven't tried any that
    slow with it yet, so I haven't got a clue what to expect.
    Jimmy G, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Jimmy G

    Guest

    I've used that combination with my D70 extensively with no problems.

    Trent
    , Apr 10, 2005
  6. Jimmy G

    Jimmy G Guest

    Experience is the best test...preferably somebody else's before you mess it
    up yourself :)

    Thank you SO much!!!!
    Jimmy G, Apr 10, 2005