    exposure.
    Is there any way I can make it over-expose by 1-stop as a default setting?
    Thanks.

    Eugel Yeo, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Eugel Yeo

    Eager Guest

    > a moze byc tez "sztuka miesa"
    > In article <>, Eugel Yeo <> wrote:

    > I find that my D70 consistently exposes about 1-stop below my preferred
    > exposure.
    > Is there any way I can make it over-expose by 1-stop as a default setting?
    > Thanks.

    Press the +/- button just under the On/Off switch and roll the rear
    wheel, just at the back of the LCD screen, to set exposure comp to your
    liking...

    -=-Joe

    Eager, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Eugel Yeo

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "Eugel Yeo" <> wrote:

    >I find that my D70 consistently exposes about 1-stop below my preferred
    >exposure.
    >Is there any way I can make it over-expose by 1-stop as a default setting?
    >Thanks.

    I have the same issue with my Canon 20D. I almost always have the
    exposure compensation set to +2/3 or +1 (sometimes, even +2), depending
    on the lighting conditions. That's because I shoot RAW, though, as RAW
    has about a stop more headroom. I wish there was a way to set a global
    EC that takes effect when the usual control is set to 0. The camera is
    designed around shooting JPEGs, and the RAW shooter is left in the dark.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 5, 2005
  4. In D70 you have spot metering. Why not use it instead of relying on camera
    automatics?

    Regards,

    K.Polak

    Krystian Polak, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Eugel Yeo

    Sheldon Guest

    "Eugel Yeo" <> wrote in message
    >I find that my D70 consistently exposes about 1-stop below my preferred
    > exposure.
    > Is there any way I can make it over-expose by 1-stop as a default setting?
    > Thanks.

    This is normal for most DSLR cameras. The idea is to underexpose so as not
    to lose any detail, much like shooting slides. Unfortunately if you don't
    want to take the time to "develop" the photos with software, you can
    compensate by holding down the +/- button and turning the wheel to increase
    the exposure to your liking. Or, an even better way is to download a custom
    curve into your camera which will accomplish the same thing and more.

    Check it out at: http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/custom_tone_curves.html

    IMO this is the best option, but you must have Nikon Capture to do it. Your
    camera should have come with a 30 day free trial, and you can use it to
    download a curve or two. Unfortunately you can only have one custom curve
    in the camera at a time. Fortunately, it's very easy to set the camera back
    to "normal" so it does not use your new curve if you don't like it. There
    are quite a few curves at other sites as well, and each has it's own
    personality. The most popular is called White Wedding, which you will find
    as "Point and Shoot" at the above site. It's been tweaked a bit by the
    author, but it's free, as are all the other curves I've found on the Net.
    You can even make up your own curves. You'll find the D70 has a lot more
    tricks up its sleeve than you might have suspected, and I like the camera a
    lot more since I've discovered them.

    Sheldon, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Eugel Yeo

    GTO Guest

    Welcome to the quirks of digital SLR photography.

    The D70 requires post processing or the right curves for certain types of
    photography. (Don't worry, the D2H is even more complicated, it almost
    always requires custom curves to get it right. The D70 is a little bit more
    forgiving). In any case, you need to study curves, which can also be applied
    in a post processing step as long as you only use NEF (no JPEG!). If you
    only create JPEGs, you must upload custom curves.

    You can read more about all this on the web (such as at
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dltucker/nikond70/curves_2.htm).

    BTW, sometimes you can take a shortcut and add an EV correction (see the
    reply of other poster). But this can have too dramatic effects on your tonal
    range.

    Gregor

    GTO, Mar 6, 2005