    stocks.
    Any real news on the D70 successor, presumably based on the D200
    sensor/electronics?

    bmoag, Apr 10, 2006

  2. bmoag

    JohnR66 Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    news:1Zu_f.67389$...
    > Nikon is heavily discounting the D70s, presumably to liquidate existing
    > stocks.
    > Any real news on the D70 successor, presumably based on the D200
    > sensor/electronics?

    Only time will tell and so may a reliable *leak*. It would make sense as a
    sub $1,000 entry level 10MP SLR would most likely put a big dent in Canon's
    huge market domination of SLR sales even though Canon's 8MP sensor compares
    quite well.
    John

    JohnR66, Apr 11, 2006

  3. bmoag

    cjcampbell Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > Nikon is heavily discounting the D70s, presumably to liquidate existing
    > stocks.
    > Any real news on the D70 successor, presumably based on the D200
    > sensor/electronics?

    My guess is that a D70 successor would have an 8 megapixel sensor. But
    I am a terrible guesser.

    cjcampbell, Apr 11, 2006
  4. bmoag

    Bill Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:

    >> Nikon is heavily discounting the D70s, presumably to liquidate existing
    >> stocks.
    >> Any real news on the D70 successor, presumably based on the D200
    >> sensor/electronics?
    >>

    >Only time will tell and so may a reliable *leak*. It would make sense as a
    >sub $1,000 entry level 10MP SLR would most likely put a big dent in Canon's
    >huge market domination of SLR sales even though Canon's 8MP sensor compares
    >quite well.

    I don't know about that...such a bold move would require some serious
    cost cutting. That kind of cut might mean selling a 10mp sensor camera
    below cost, and I doubt Nikon or Canon is willing to do that.

    Based on Nikon's history of releasing new bodies, I would say they are
    merely keeping the retail prices down on the D50 and D70s to compete
    against Canon's 8mp models. If Nikon didn't drop their prices, Canon
    would likely overwhelm them in sales.

    I don't expect to see a new Nikon body until at least next spring or
    later. Perhaps a D80 that's similar to the D70 but with a 10mp sensor,
    similar to how Canon made an entry level version of their 20D with the
    XT/350D?

    Just a wild guess though...who knows...

    Bill, Apr 11, 2006