    And, no, my ISP doesn't carry the new groups yet. And, yes, I looked
    for an on-line manual on the Nikon site without success (strange).

    , Nov 5, 2004

  2. On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:40:10 GMT, "" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm struggling with whether to switch from my film camera to a D70. I
    >take many outdoor photos and frequently use the markings on my (very
    >old) lenses to focus at the hyperfocal distance.
    >
    >I understand that in this brave new world of autoeverything this might
    >be considered quaint, or even a Lost Art. :)
    >
    >So is it easy (possible?) to do this with a D70 and the kit lens? Is
    >there a menu selection which tells the D70 to focus so that the object
    >of interest is at the distant end of the DoF for the current aperture?
    >
    >TIA
    >Duncan
    >
    >And, no, my ISP doesn't carry the new groups yet. And, yes, I looked
    >for an on-line manual on the Nikon site without success (strange).

    I've only just recently got my D70, but I'm pretty sure there's no such
    option to _automatically_ do this. However, you can easily switch the
    camera (or the lens) into manual focusing and do it yourself. There's also
    a "depth of field preview" button that (I guess) should assist you in doing
    this.

    Although I've not had chance to play properly with mine, the D70 goes from
    "auto everything" mode, through to half-a-dozen "scene" modes (e.g.
    portrait, landscape, night-portrait etc.), then on to program mode,
    shutter- and apperture-priority modes and full manual.

    HTH

    Regards,

    Graham Holden, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:40:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    "" <> wrote:
    >I'm struggling with whether to switch from my film camera to a D70. I
    >take many outdoor photos and frequently use the markings on my (very
    >old) lenses to focus at the hyperfocal distance.
    >
    >I understand that in this brave new world of autoeverything this might
    >be considered quaint, or even a Lost Art. :)
    >
    >So is it easy (possible?) to do this with a D70 and the kit lens? Is
    >there a menu selection which tells the D70 to focus so that the object
    >of interest is at the distant end of the DoF for the current aperture?

    No. You can manually set any distance easily on the lit lens using the
    focal distance markings on the lens.

    >And, no, my ISP doesn't carry the new groups yet. And, yes, I looked
    >for an on-line manual on the Nikon site without success (strange).

    The manuals are on the tech support site and nat least for the US site
    requires a valid serial number for some Nikon digital to access. FWIW,
    it's almost 20MB in PDF.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: ""

    >I'm struggling with whether to switch from my film camera to a D70. I
    >take many outdoor photos and frequently use the markings on my (very
    >old) lenses to focus at the hyperfocal distance.
    >
    >I understand that in this brave new world of autoeverything this might
    >be considered quaint, or even a Lost Art. :)
    >
    >So is it easy (possible?) to do this with a D70 and the kit lens?

    How do you do it now? If you rely on the markings on the lens to tell you what
    the DOF is at a given aperture (common on most fixed focal length lenses) then
    it's hard because on most zooms you don't have this info available since it's
    too difficult to make the markings meaningful for a wide range of focal
    lengths.

    On the other hand if you have a chart (like I do) that says "at a given focal
    length with a given aperture the hyperfocal distance is X" then you can just
    turn off autofocus and set the focal distance to X. Two problems with this ...
    one is that often there are big jumps in the distance scales (ie, you need 7 ft
    and the closest scale increments are 5 and 12 ft ... you know it's somewhere in
    between but is it linear? Second is that the distance markings aren't always
    accurate.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Guest

    On 05 Nov 2004 17:32:29 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >How do you do it now? If you rely on the markings on the lens to tell you what
    >the DOF is at a given aperture (common on most fixed focal length lenses) then
    >it's hard because on most zooms you don't have this info available since it's
    >too difficult to make the markings meaningful for a wide range of focal
    >lengths.

    My old Nikkor 43-86 has curved lines that show get closer together as
    you increase the focal length. Mostly I used fixed 28, 50, and 135mm
    lenses with markings.

    >On the other hand if you have a chart (like I do) that says "at a given focal
    >length with a given aperture the hyperfocal distance is X" then you can just
    >turn off autofocus and set the focal distance to X. Two problems with this ...
    >one is that often there are big jumps in the distance scales (ie, you need 7 ft
    >and the closest scale increments are 5 and 12 ft ... you know it's somewhere in
    >between but is it linear? Second is that the distance markings aren't always
    >accurate.

    I would hope they would be accurate on a Nikkor lens. Am I to be
    disappointed?

    A third problem is that the table is only useful if you want infinity
    to be in focus. When the most distant object is not at infinity, I
    focus on that distant object to measure its distance, and set that
    distance on the far DoF mark on the lens.

    Sounds like I'll need a PDA! Then I could even include the CoC factor
    in case I imagine making a wall-sized print! That price tag to get a
    useful configuration for my new D70 keeps getting higher. Maybe I'll
    buy a scanner instead. Sheesh.

    Thanks to all for the info.

    Duncan

    , Nov 5, 2004
  6. Bill Hilton Guest

    >A third problem is that the table is only useful if you want infinity
    >to be in focus.

    That's part of the definition of "hyperfocal" :)

    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Eager Guest

    According to Thom Hogan's excellent ebook
    <http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm>, you can convert your 35mm
    hyperfocal distance charts for the D70 by adding one stop. His example:
    chart says 50 feet for 50mm lens at f/2, the D70 would simply use
    f/2.8. His book provides near/far and hyperfocal distance charts for
    lenses 18 to 70mm in an excel spreadsheet, included on the CD.

    The book is well worth the price. Hope that helps.

    -=-Joe

    Eager, Nov 5, 2004
  8. On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:40:10 GMT, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm struggling with whether to switch from my film camera to a D70. I
    >take many outdoor photos and frequently use the markings on my (very
    >old) lenses to focus at the hyperfocal distance.
    >
    >I understand that in this brave new world of autoeverything this might
    >be considered quaint, or even a Lost Art. :)
    >
    >So is it easy (possible?) to do this with a D70 and the kit lens? Is
    >there a menu selection which tells the D70 to focus so that the object
    >of interest is at the distant end of the DoF for the current aperture?

    You don't have to use the autofocus if you don't want to. Indeed, if
    you have old lenses you like that are not AF you will have to use them
    as you always did, except you can use the AF sensor to tell you when
    you are focused on something.

    I am not familiar with the kit lens.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Nov 5, 2004
  9. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm struggling with whether to switch from my film camera to a D70. I
    > take many outdoor photos and frequently use the markings on my (very
    > old) lenses to focus at the hyperfocal distance.

    Sorry to say, this approach is almost impossible these days. This is true
    of all Nikon AF lenses.

    So, you are left with using the viewfinder to judge depth of field. I have
    never been able to do that.

    The non-AF lenses have much better depth of field scales. I have mounted my
    105 f2.5 lens on the D70, and it worked quite well. Although you cannot
    get the combination to use autoexposure, the histogram helps get the
    exposure right. Come to think of it, the histogram helps the autoexposure
    function as well.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 5, 2004
  10. Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:18:14 GMT, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >Sorry to say, this approach is almost impossible these days. This is true
    >of all Nikon AF lenses.
    >
    >So, you are left with using the viewfinder to judge depth of field. I have
    >never been able to do that.

    How weird. For me DoF is nearly as important as focus. I guess even
    Nikon admits that all this new fangled gear isn't meant for serious
    photographers.

    That was a joke, son.

    Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

    Duncan

    , Nov 6, 2004