    make any difference at all to convert to 16 bit in Photoshop before
    editing??

    Thanks very much

    MNP, Apr 8, 2004

  2. MNP

    JR Guest

    You need Nikon Capture. Then you will be able to use all the 12 bit
    data. It will then send photoshop, 16 bit files.

    JR

    JR, Apr 8, 2004

  3. MNP

    MikeS Guest

    "JR" <> wrote in message
    > You need Nikon Capture. Then you will be able to use all the 12 bit
    > data. It will then send photoshop, 16 bit files.

    Or Nikon View 6 (which is fee) and and you can sent to Photoshop as 16 bit
    Tiffs Elements 1 and 2 or ps 6 ,7 or CS.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Apr 8, 2004
  4. MNP

    gsum Guest

    Photoshop CS has a built in plugin for D100 NEFs. Does your post
    imply that D70 NEFs are not the same format as D100 NEFs?

    Graham

    gsum, Apr 8, 2004
  5. MNP

    {STP} Guest

    In article <40755c59$>,
    "gsum" <> wrote:

    > Photoshop CS has a built in plugin for D100 NEFs. Does your post
    > imply that D70 NEFs are not the same format as D100 NEFs?

    D70 NEFs are not the same format as D100 NEFs.

    {STP}

    {STP}, Apr 8, 2004
  6. MNP

    MNP Guest

    Yes, apparently it is a different format...it certainly doesn't work. I
    hope Adobe will provide the update soon.

    MNP, Apr 9, 2004
  7. MNP

    JR Guest

    Yes you can use Adobe. You need to install the Nikon software FIRST
    which has the approprate decoders for the files. After you install the
    Nikon software (Picture Perfect comes with it), then photoshop will be
    able to decode the D70 NEF's which are different from the D100 NEF's. I
    still suggest Nikon Capture because the Adobe plug currently does not
    convert the D70 NEF's at 16 bit, just 8. Nikon's software has a LOT
    more capability.

    JR

    JR, Apr 9, 2004
  8. JR <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Yes you can use Adobe. You need to install the Nikon software FIRST
    > which has the approprate decoders for the files. After you install the
    > Nikon software (Picture Perfect comes with it), then photoshop will be
    > able to decode the D70 NEF's which are different from the D100 NEF's. I
    > still suggest Nikon Capture because the Adobe plug currently does not
    > convert the D70 NEF's at 16 bit, just 8. Nikon's software has a LOT
    > more capability.

    Just out of couriousity, what does Photoshop 8 and Nikon's complete
    RAW software do to the price of the camera?

    George Preddy, Apr 10, 2004
  9. On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:41:05 -0700, JR <> wrote:

    >Yes you can use Adobe. You need to install the Nikon software FIRST
    >which has the approprate decoders for the files. After you install the
    >Nikon software (Picture Perfect comes with it), then photoshop will be

    Mine came with NikonView and a trial version of Nikon Capture, but not
    Picture Perfect.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
    >able to decode the D70 NEF's which are different from the D100 NEF's. I
    >still suggest Nikon Capture because the Adobe plug currently does not
    >convert the D70 NEF's at 16 bit, just 8. Nikon's software has a LOT
    >more capability.
    >
    >JR
    >

    >In article <YDndc.1812$>,
    > "MNP" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, apparently it is a different format...it certainly doesn't work. I
    >> hope Adobe will provide the update soon.
    >>
    >> "gsum" <> wrote in message
    >> > Photoshop CS has a built in plugin for D100 NEFs. Does your post
    >> > imply that D70 NEFs are not the same format as D100 NEFs?

    <snip>

    Roger Halstead, Apr 10, 2004
  10. MNP

    Chris Cox Guest

    The metadata is incorrect because Photoshop cannot read the NEF yet -
    all it's seeing is the embedded JPEG thumbnail (which is 8 bits).

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Apr 12, 2004
  11. MNP

    Tom Scales Guest

    Photoshop CS supports D100 raw, but not D70 raw? I find that hard to
    believe?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 12, 2004
  12. MNP

    Chris Cox Guest

    In article <>, Tom Scales
    <> wrote:

    > Photoshop CS supports D100 raw, but not D70 raw? I find that hard to
    > believe?

    Why so hard to believe?
    The file format changes slightly with every camera they release, and
    the camera specific calibrations need to be done for each camera model
    (which means Adobe needs to get their hands on one to calibrate).

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Apr 12, 2004
  13. MNP

    Chris Cox Guest

    In article <>, JR
    <> wrote:

    > Yes you can use Adobe. You need to install the Nikon software FIRST
    > which has the approprate decoders for the files. After you install the
    > Nikon software (Picture Perfect comes with it), then photoshop will be
    > able to decode the D70 NEF's which are different from the D100 NEF's. I
    > still suggest Nikon Capture because the Adobe plug currently does not
    > convert the D70 NEF's at 16 bit, just 8. Nikon's software has a LOT
    > more capability.

    The current Adobe Camera RAW plugin doesn't read D70 NEF at all.
    Adobe Camera RAW does offer 16 bit/channel for all camera raw formats
    that it supports.

    So, what software are YOU looking at?

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Apr 12, 2004
  14. MNP

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Tom Scales <> wrote:
    >Photoshop CS supports D100 raw, but not D70 raw? I find that hard to
    >believe?

    Why? How long has the D70 been out? Photoshop CS has been
    out for a while now.

    Clearly there is a format difference between RAW in the D100
    and in the D70. One would have to ask Nikon why.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 12, 2004
  15. MNP

    Paul Howland Guest

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > In article <>, JR
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Yes you can use Adobe. You need to install the Nikon software FIRST
    >>which has the approprate decoders for the files. After you install the
    >>Nikon software (Picture Perfect comes with it), then photoshop will be
    >>able to decode the D70 NEF's which are different from the D100 NEF's. I
    >>still suggest Nikon Capture because the Adobe plug currently does not
    >>convert the D70 NEF's at 16 bit, just 8. Nikon's software has a LOT
    >>more capability.

    > The current Adobe Camera RAW plugin doesn't read D70 NEF at all.
    > Adobe Camera RAW does offer 16 bit/channel for all camera raw formats
    > that it supports.
    >
    > So, what software are YOU looking at?
    >
    > Chris

    When you install Nikon View 6 (supplied with my D70) it automatically
    installs a NEF plugin into Photoshop's plugin directory. Photoshop can
    then read the D70 NEF format, and loads it as a 16-bit image. It offers
    you the chance to adjust the exposure at the point you open the file.
    If you install Photoshop *after* installing Nikon View, then you have to
    copy the plugin from the Nikon View directory by hand. Nikon Capture is
    not required for this.

    Paul

    Paul Howland, Apr 12, 2004
  16. >You need Nikon Capture. Then you will be able to use all the 12 bit
    >data. It will then send photoshop, 16 bit files.

    The new version of Thumps Plus 2000 also reads D70 NEF and allows to save
    them in 16 Bit Formats (e.g. TIFF or JP2) in attended or in batch mode.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Apr 12, 2004
  17. >Another question please: If I'm transfering an 8 bit JPEG lets say, will it
    >make any difference at all to convert to 16 bit in Photoshop before
    >editing??

    Using any 8 Bit format will lose dynamic (theoretically 3*4 Bit = 16:1 on
    each channel or 4096:1 combined). That supposedly does not harm when
    printing, as I don't think any printer (including professional photo
    services) can do more that 8 Bit per color. But when you want to do any work
    on the image (contrast enhancing, sharpening, color adjustment etc.) you
    easily might get saturation or stepping effects.

    I found that saving as 16 bit JP2 with an __appropriate__ compression rate,
    you can use much smaller files than NEF while retaining nearly all useful
    information, while removing the information that is used to store the noise
    in the picture.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Apr 12, 2004
  18. MNP

    {STP} Guest

    In article <>,
    "Tom Scales" <> wrote:

    > Photoshop CS supports D100 raw, but not D70 raw? I find that hard to
    > believe?

    Believe it.

    {STP}

    {STP}, Apr 13, 2004
  19. MNP

    Guy Scharf Guest

    Paul J Gans <> wrote:

    > Tom Scales <> wrote:
    >>Photoshop CS supports D100 raw, but not D70 raw? I find that hard to
    >>believe?

    > Why? How long has the D70 been out? Photoshop CS has been
    > out for a while now.
    >
    > Clearly there is a format difference between RAW in the D100
    > and in the D70. One would have to ask Nikon why.
    >
    > ----- Paul J. Gans

    D70 writes a (lossless) compressed NEF format while the previous
    cameras used an uncompressed format.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Apr 13, 2004