    exposure counter says I will be able to take 47 exposures on the compact
    flash card. But I actually get 88! How could that be?

    thanks
    MNP, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Well, for one thing, the NEF files are compressed. And the amount of
    compression depends on what you are taking a picture of. So, the camera can
    only guess how many will fit.

    Chuck McDevitt, Apr 19, 2004

  3. MNP

    Tom Scales Guest

    Can't say on the D70, but on my D100, I turn off compression for NEF files.
    Makes a HUGE difference in write speed

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 19, 2004
  4. On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:29:16 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >Can't say on the D70, but on my D100, I turn off compression for NEF files.
    >Makes a HUGE difference in write speed

    The D-70 does not have that option. It's compressed NEFs, compressed
    NEFs with JPGs, or JPGs.

    However the D70 can empty the buffer of compressed NEFs in about 3
    seconds.

    Shooting one a second or so and I have not outrun the buffer. It is
    fast. Almost like shooting with a 35.

    Using my E20N for a few days has been a real eye opener. That thing
    is SLOOOOwwww....

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Apr 19, 2004
  5. MNP

    JM Lobert Guest

    Just for curiosity: do you know what the difference is between
    compressed and uncompressed files (on average)?

    Thanks

    wrote:

    >Can't say on the D70, but on my D100, I turn off compression for NEF files.
    >Makes a HUGE difference in write speed
    >
    >Tom
    >"Chuck McDevitt" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, for one thing, the NEF files are compressed. And the amount of
    >> compression depends on what you are taking a picture of. So, the camera

    >can
    >> only guess how many will fit.
    >>

    >> "MNP" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Nikon D70 and a Lexar 512 CF.. when I put the camera on RAW,

    >the
    >> > exposure counter says I will be able to take 47 exposures on the compact
    >> > flash card. But I actually get 88! How could that be?
    >> >
    >> > thanks

    JP

    (remove second underscore to email)
    JM Lobert, Apr 20, 2004
  6. MNP

    NightStar Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:00:46 GMT, "Chuck McDevitt"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, for one thing, the NEF files are compressed. And the amount of
    >compression depends on what you are taking a picture of. So, the camera can
    >only guess how many will fit.
    >

    >"MNP" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Nikon D70 and a Lexar 512 CF.. when I put the camera on RAW, the
    >> exposure counter says I will be able to take 47 exposures on the compact
    >> flash card. But I actually get 88! How could that be?
    >>
    >> thanks

    On average, I've found that the NEF files range from 4.75 - 5.30 Meg
    in size (I suppose others may have different values, but I've taken a
    few pictures and found this to be the maximum range) - As said above,
    it looks like the camera can only guess what size the image will be -
    As opposed to Jpegs where I think the file sizes are fixed.
    Generally, I believe, you have nearly twice as many shots than is
    shown when shooting using NEF files.

    Tony.
    NightStar, May 31, 2004
  7. On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:10:08 GMT, NightStar <Im.not@home> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:00:46 GMT, "Chuck McDevitt"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, for one thing, the NEF files are compressed. And the amount of
    >>compression depends on what you are taking a picture of. So, the camera can
    >>only guess how many will fit.
    >>

    >>"MNP" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Nikon D70 and a Lexar 512 CF.. when I put the camera on RAW, the
    >>> exposure counter says I will be able to take 47 exposures on the compact
    >>> flash card. But I actually get 88! How could that be?
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    Mine says 94 NEFs and 87 NEF plus JPG. They come out very close to
    that.

    >On average, I've found that the NEF files range from 4.75 - 5.30 Meg

    The smallest I've seen is 4.965 with the largest being a tad over 6.
    They certainly are compressed as I saved a couple as straight TIFFs
    and they are about 17 megs.

    >in size (I suppose others may have different values, but I've taken a
    >few pictures and found this to be the maximum range) - As said above,
    >it looks like the camera can only guess what size the image will be -
    >As opposed to Jpegs where I think the file sizes are fixed.

    The JPGs I get also vary

    >Generally, I believe, you have nearly twice as many shots than is
    >shown when shooting using NEF files.

    "Typically" I'll get within just a couple of shots of the camera's
    guesstimate with an empty 1 gig CF card.

    Roger Halstead, Jun 1, 2004
  8. On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:33:39 GMT, Roger Halstead
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:10:08 GMT, NightStar <Im.not@home> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:00:46 GMT, "Chuck McDevitt"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, for one thing, the NEF files are compressed. And the amount of
    >>>compression depends on what you are taking a picture of. So, the camera can
    >>>only guess how many will fit.
    >>>

    >>>"MNP" <> wrote in message

    >Mine says 94 NEFs and 87 NEF plus JPG. They come out very close to
    >that.

    BTW, that's on a one gig CF card and not a 512

    Roger Halstead, Jun 1, 2004
  9. MNP

    B.A.S. Guest

    Roger Halstead wrote:

    >>Mine says 94 NEFs and 87 NEF plus JPG. They come out very close to
    >>that.

    > BTW, that's on a one gig CF card and not a 512

    Well, that's odd indeed. I and everyone else I know with a D70 get
    nearly twice as many NEF's on a card as what the camera says you'll get
    when you do a fresh format. In my case, camera predicts 43 NEF+JPG shots
    with my Lexar 40x 512MB card, and I get about 80. Same results with
    portraits, landscapes, etc.

    Do you exlusively shoot some sort of odd subject matter that the
    algorithm has a hard time compressing?

    If not, methinks there's something amiss with your 1GB card...

    B.A.S.
    B.A.S., Jun 1, 2004
  10. On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:29:21 GMT, "B.A.S."
    <> wrote:

    >Roger Halstead wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>Mine says 94 NEFs and 87 NEF plus JPG. They come out very close to
    >>>that.

    >> BTW, that's on a one gig CF card and not a 512

    >Well, that's odd indeed. I and everyone else I know with a D70 get
    >nearly twice as many NEF's on a card as what the camera says you'll get
    >when you do a fresh format. In my case, camera predicts 43 NEF+JPG shots
    >with my Lexar 40x 512MB card, and I get about 80. Same results with
    >portraits, landscapes, etc.

    Wellll... I'll be....
    I normally don't fill a card and haven't kept close track, but I'll
    swear there wasn't much difference when I did.

    So, today I took a 256 out of the E-29N and put into the D-70.
    It said 25 shots available. I didn't use the one gig as that seemed a
    bit large for a test.

    So I headed out into the yard and shot anything that'd hold still...
    and some that didn't like my cat. He thought I wanted to play...I
    think it's going to leave a scar on my arm.

    At any rate, for about the first 12 to 14 the counter went down with
    each shot. Then it didn't keep up. When I finally got down to one
    shot left.... It took 7 to get rid of the one. Time I finished I had
    48. These were of everything from scenery to bugs to cats. I should
    have shot one of my arm where that 15# cat grabbed it thinking I
    wanted to play.

    So I apologize if I led any one astray. I'll still swear that thing
    used to count out what was left on the card, but apparently not.

    Roger Halstead, Jun 1, 2004
  11. MNP

    Ed Guest

    There is a bug in the firmware. On 1 gig cards you need to double what
    it says.

    Ed, Jun 15, 2004
  12. "Ed" <> wrote in message

    > There is a bug in the firmware. On 1 gig cards you need to double what
    > it says.

    Nope. Firmware is using the maximum possible NEF size in order to show
    available shoots. Usually a NEF file is compressed somewhere to one half of
    that so that's why you get approximately double the amount.

    I can easily imagine someone in America suing Nikon if they used the average
    size and then failing to fit that many shoots on the card...

    --

    deejay
    Tomas Daniska, Jun 15, 2004