    and not too far from $1000 would be nice (or am I dreaming?)

    Thanks!!!

    - Tim
    Tim Reed, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Tim Reed

    JustaPawn Guest

    << 3. Can anyone recommend a decent and not-too-expensive telephoto for this
    camera? I'll be shooting wildlife in Alaska a month from now but can't
    afford $5k. Something around 300-500mm, lightweight (I'll be backpacking),
    and not too far from $1000 would be nice (or am I dreaming?) >>

    There's Nikon "G" lens, 70-300 for about $200. and one in the Pro series for
    about $1,000.
    JustaPawn, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Tim Reed

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Tim Reed <> wrote:

    > 1. Interval shooting. Is this feature in there (e.g., setting it to shoot
    > once a minute)?

    No.

    > 2. Does anyone besides me feel that color saturation is a little below par?
    > I know you can boost it in the Optimize Image menu, but still a lot of my
    > pix seem a little unsaturated. Seems better in macro mode.

    Boost it some more. Or change your color mode; note that if you're shooting
    in Adobe RGB but not using a color managed workflow, your colors are going
    to look unsaturated. Or shoot RAW and boost it in post to your heart's
    content.

    > 3. Can anyone recommend a decent and not-too-expensive telephoto for this
    > camera? I'll be shooting wildlife in Alaska a month from now but can't
    > afford $5k. Something around 300-500mm, lightweight (I'll be backpacking),
    > and not too far from $1000 would be nice (or am I dreaming?)

    Nikon has a 70-300. Bring a tripod; 300mm is going to be tricky to handhold.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Tim Reed

    DSphotog Guest

    "Jeremy Nixon" <> wrote in message
    > Tim Reed <> wrote:
    >
    > > 1. Interval shooting. Is this feature in there (e.g., setting it to

    shoot
    > > once a minute)?

    > No.

    However, if you have Nikon Capture software and tether the camera to your
    computer (desktop or laptop) you can to time lapse shooting to your hearts
    content. You can also have shots saved directly to your computer so CF card
    size is not a limitation.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave
    DSphotog, Jul 29, 2004
  5. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:56:06 -0700, "Tim Reed"
    <> wrote:

    >I've had this camera & like it a lot! But there are a couple if things I
    >haven't worked out, and I could use a lens rec ...
    >
    >1. Interval shooting. Is this feature in there (e.g., setting it to shoot
    >once a minute)? My crummy old Epson could do it, but I can't find it in the
    >manual or menus ...
    >2. Does anyone besides me feel that color saturation is a little below par?
    >I know you can boost it in the Optimize Image menu, but still a lot of my
    >pix seem a little unsaturated. Seems better in macro mode.
    >3. Can anyone recommend a decent and not-too-expensive telephoto for this
    >camera? I'll be shooting wildlife in Alaska a month from now but can't
    >afford $5k. Something around 300-500mm, lightweight (I'll be backpacking),
    >and not too far from $1000 would be nice (or am I dreaming?)

    If you are backpacking you may also be handholding. I use an 80-400 VR
    lens and have got some spectacular shots with it that I couldn't have
    done without the VR.

    It is on the wrong side of $1000, and is not exactly light. Also it
    does not have its own motor to boost the autofocus. The later ?-200 VR
    does have the motor and can be used with a teleconverter. It is even
    more on the wrong side of $1000, but it might really be what you need.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.
    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Jul 29, 2004
  6. Tim Reed

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Tim, there's a data base of user experience with Nikkor (and compatible)
    lenses on my web site. Maybe you will find some helpful comments there.
    I've found colors to be fine with all my Nikkor glass, especially good with
    the "E"-type lenses.

    ~Ray Paseur
    www.non-aol.com/D70/

    Ray Paseur, Jul 29, 2004
  7. Tim Reed

    Ray Paseur Guest

    These two links may be helpful. If you use the f/2.8 VR zoom lens at 200mm,
    you get the 35mm-equivalent of a 300mm lens. Add the 2x teleconverter, and
    you've got the f/5.6 600mm lens that you can hand hold - the VR works that
    well. My buddy has this setup, and I've seen the pictures. It's an
    expensive set, but a great solution. Use your hiking stick to stabilize the
    camera and leave the tripod at home. You should get used to giving the VR a
    second on "half-pressed" before you fire the shutter release. It seems to
    get smarter if it has a moment to process the image.

    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2139NAS
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2130

    ~Ray

    Ray Paseur, Jul 30, 2004