D70 picture dust marks?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ice, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. ice

    ice Guest

    Hello

    I have just borrowed a 300mm lens and went off to take some pics. Came
    back and looked at them to find that every single one has 3 black
    spots in exactly the same place - looking like dust on traditional
    film.

    As I had not seen these before, I checked pictures taken with the
    18-70 lens that came with the camera to find that marks were in the
    same place, but this time they are quite blurred and fient.

    As pictures taken with both lenses are showing these marks, i am
    guessing that there is a bit of dust somehwere, but where? My first
    thought is that the low pass filter over the ccd is harbouring the
    dust, but if that is so, how come the dust marks are blurred in the
    18-80 lens and sharp in the 300?

    If it is in the low pass filter, the manaul recommends that you lock
    up the mirror and blow some air using a blower brush, minus the brush
    bit. How safe is this to do? As the camera is only a few months old,
    would it be worth returning to the shop?

    Thank you for your help

    Callum

    ice, Jul 27, 2004

  2. ice

    Dan Leskinen Guest

    I had a nearly identical problem with my new D70 except that the dust marks
    were visible as smudges with a long lens and pretty much not visible with a
    normal lens. Gently blowing off the low pass filter did solve the problem
    and is a pretty easy procedure following the instructions in the manual. I
    don't have an explanation as to why the smudges only appeared with the long
    lens and are less so with normal lenses.

    I was taking pictures at an airshow so the spots really showed up, but
    PhotoShop easily corrected the problem on those I wanted to keep.

    Hope this helps.

    Dan

    Dan Leskinen, Jul 27, 2004

  3. ice

    John S Guest

    "ice" <> wrote in message
    > If it is in the low pass filter, the manaul recommends that you lock
    > up the mirror and blow some air using a blower brush, minus the brush
    > bit. How safe is this to do? As the camera is only a few months old,
    > would it be worth returning to the shop?

    100% normal, for all dslrs

    These sites are decent for both technique and pointers to supplies:

    http://bythom.com/cleaning.htm

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning (click on each "photo" for
    descriptions)

    My approach (when I finally get dust bunnies - none yet) is to try blowing,
    then I'll attempt a ccd cleaning if blowing doesn't do it, and probably get
    it cleaned/serviced by nikon in 1-2 years.

    John S, Jul 27, 2004
  4. ice

    ice Guest

    Hello Dan

    thanks for the reply.

    Good to know i am not the only one - will try the clean

    thank you
    Callum

    ice, Jul 27, 2004
  5. ice

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
    >From: "John S"
    >Date: 7/27/2004 10:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"ice" <> wrote in message
    >> If it is in the low pass filter, the manaul recommends that you lock
    >> up the mirror and blow some air using a blower brush, minus the brush
    >> bit. How safe is this to do? As the camera is only a few months old,
    >> would it be worth returning to the shop?

    >100% normal, for all dslrs
    >
    >These sites are decent for both technique and pointers to supplies:
    >
    >http://bythom.com/cleaning.htm
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning (click on each "photo" for
    >descriptions)
    >
    >My approach (when I finally get dust bunnies - none yet) is to try blowing,
    >then I'll attempt a ccd cleaning if blowing doesn't do it, and probably get
    >it cleaned/serviced by nikon in 1-2 years.

    It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER interchange it
    allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am selling
    all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
    F/2.8 (s)

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jul 27, 2004
  6. ice

    John S Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

    interchange it
    > allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

    selling
    > all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
    > F/2.8 (s)

    Hm. That's kinda the point of a SLR (swapping lenses so you have the right
    one for the shot(s))

    just don't do it in a dust storm :)
    point the camera down
    power it off and *wait* a few seconds for the ccd to discharge its static
    charge
    get new lens ready (cap off)
    swap lenses
    put cap on swapped out lens

    total time exposed, maybe 2 seconds.

    John S, Jul 27, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    (ArtKramr) writes:

    >It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER
    >interchange it
    >allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom
    >and am selling
    >all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep
    >the 180mm F/2.8 (s)

    Fixed focal length lenses generally are sharper. Quality lenses
    contain multiple elements (pieces of glass). With their greater
    functionality, zoom lenses typically have a greater number of
    elements than fixed focal length lenses. Lens sharpness
    _decreases_ with each added lens element.

    In addition, wide aperture (small f-stop number) usually is
    less expensive to create in a fixed focal length lens. Usually
    some trade must be made among zoom range, aperture and cost.
    And fixed focal length lenses usually are simpler, lighter and
    more rugged -- less to break.

    IMO a zoom lens used with a film SLR has more utility than a
    zoom lens used with a dSLR having electronic zoom capability.

    YMMV.

    Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
    --
    Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
    Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
    Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

    Richard Ballard, Jul 27, 2004
  8. ice

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
    >From: "John S"
    >Date: 7/27/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

    >interchange it
    >> allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

    >selling
    >> all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
    >> F/2.8 (s)

    >Hm. That's kinda the point of a SLR (swapping lenses so you have the right
    >one for the shot(s))
    >
    >just don't do it in a dust storm :)
    >point the camera down
    >power it off and *wait* a few seconds for the ccd to discharge its static
    >charge
    >get new lens ready (cap off)
    >swap lenses
    >put cap on swapped out lens
    >
    >total time exposed, maybe 2 seconds.

    Get a zoom that covers the range you need.

    ArtKramr, Jul 27, 2004
  9. ice

    ice Guest

    Hello

    thank you all for the replies - feel much more confident about sorting the
    dust bunnies :)

    As for the not swapping lenses issue - a good friend lent me a 300mm / f4 -
    I am never going to be able to afford that, and the opportunity was just too
    good to pass up!

    Cheers
    Callum

    ice, Jul 27, 2004
  10. ice

    misifus Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    >>Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
    >>From: "John S"
    >>Date: 7/27/2004 10:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >>

    >>"ice" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>If it is in the low pass filter, the manaul recommends that you lock
    >>>up the mirror and blow some air using a blower brush, minus the brush
    >>>bit. How safe is this to do? As the camera is only a few months old,
    >>>would it be worth returning to the shop?

    >>100% normal, for all dslrs
    >>
    >>These sites are decent for both technique and pointers to supplies:
    >>
    >>http://bythom.com/cleaning.htm
    >>
    >>http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning (click on each "photo" for
    >>descriptions)
    >>
    >>My approach (when I finally get dust bunnies - none yet) is to try blowing,
    >>then I'll attempt a ccd cleaning if blowing doesn't do it, and probably get
    >>it cleaned/serviced by nikon in 1-2 years.
    >>

    > It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER interchange it
    > allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am selling
    > all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
    > F/2.8 (s)

    Isn't this a draconian solution to a simple problem. Cleaning
    the filter/CCD is part of using a DSLR.

    -Raf

    --
    Misifus-
    Rafael Seibert

    misifus, Jul 28, 2004
  11. ice

    misifus Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    >>Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
    >>From: "John S"
    >>Date: 7/27/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >>

    >>"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

    >>interchange it
    >>
    >>>allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

    >>selling
    >>
    >>>all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
    >>>F/2.8 (s)

    >>Hm. That's kinda the point of a SLR (swapping lenses so you have the right
    >>one for the shot(s))
    >>
    >>just don't do it in a dust storm :)
    >>point the camera down
    >>power it off and *wait* a few seconds for the ccd to discharge its static
    >>charge
    >>get new lens ready (cap off)
    >>swap lenses
    >>put cap on swapped out lens
    >>
    >>total time exposed, maybe 2 seconds.
    >>

    > Get a zoom that covers the range you need.
    >
    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    And who makes a 17-400 that anyone can afford?

    -Raf

    --
    Misifus-
    Rafael Seibert

    misifus, Jul 28, 2004
  12. ice

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
    >From: misifus
    >Date: 7/27/2004 7:20 PM Pacific Standard Time

    >It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER interchange
    >it
    >> allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

    >selling
    >> all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
    >> F/2.8 (s)

    >Isn't this a draconian solution to a simple problem. Cleaning
    >the filter/CCD is part of using a DSLR.
    >
    > -Raf

    Occam's Razor. Less is more. Simpler is better.

    ArtKramr, Jul 28, 2004
  13. ice

    greg Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
    > >From: misifus
    > >Date: 7/27/2004 7:20 PM Pacific Standard Time

    > >It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

    interchange
    > >it
    > >> allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

    > >selling
    > >> all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the

    180mm
    > >> F/2.8 (s)

    > >Isn't this a draconian solution to a simple problem. Cleaning
    > >the filter/CCD is part of using a DSLR.
    > >
    > > -Raf

    > Occam's Razor. Less is more. Simpler is better.

    Huh? Getting rid of all your dSLR lenses but one simply to avoid an
    occasional dust spot (that can be removed)?

    Sorry, I can't buy that. I have 5 lenses (from a 180° fisheye and a 50mm
    f/1.8 to an 80-200mm f/2.8 to a 400mm), and you'll never convince me that
    having one all-purpose lens could do all that those lenses could.

    greg, Aug 4, 2004
  14. In article <lq4Qc.8103$gE.6365@pd7tw3no>, "greg" <>
    wrote:

    > Huh? Getting rid of all your dSLR lenses but one simply to avoid an
    > occasional dust spot (that can be removed)?
    >
    > Sorry, I can't buy that. I have 5 lenses (from a 180° fisheye and a
    > 50mm f/1.8 to an 80-200mm f/2.8 to a 400mm), and you'll never
    > convince me that having one all-purpose lens could do all that those
    > lenses could.

    You haven't seen my 50-400/f1.8-2.8 lens. It's a Sigma--the best in the
    world. Every pro uses one of these.

    Admiral Crunch, Aug 4, 2004
  15. ice

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Art is a well known idiot but he does have a point. Unfortunately he is not
    smart enough to follow it to the logical conclusion. The simplest and best
    solution to dust (in digital and film photography) is to throw away the
    camera. There will never again be the slightest problem with dust spots.
    Art claims that he was once a photo magazine writer - Now you can see why
    I don't recommend photo magazines. If you waste your time on them your
    intelligence might plummet.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto