    the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know how
    yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
    really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?
    Sidney Friedman, May 31, 2005

  2. Sidney Friedman

    Sheldon Guest

    "Sidney Friedman" <> wrote in message
    news:KQPme.535$...
    > My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
    > understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
    > camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
    > firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
    > as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
    > I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
    >
    > As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money
    > for
    > the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know
    > how
    > yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
    > really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?

    You've pretty much summed it up, except for the remote control. The S has a
    cable release which the older model does not. I'm pretty sure they both
    have a wireless remote. I know the D70 does. The S also has an improved
    rubber eyecup. The firmware upgrade is easy to do, and you just have to
    decide whether the few extra features are worth it. They are both great
    cameras, very similar, and you can't go wrong with either. Check
    www.dpreview.com for reviews.
    Sheldon, May 31, 2005

  3. Sidney Friedman

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Sidney Friedman" <> wrote:

    > My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
    > understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to
    > this camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has
    > updated firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new
    > features such as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote
    > control, etc. I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
    >
    > As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional
    > money for the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware
    > (don't know how yet) but would like to get the most features for the
    > best value. Does it really make much difference for someone new to
    > digital cameras?

    How badly do you want to attach a release cable that isn't on the market
    yet and no one knows the price of?
    Bubbabob, May 31, 2005
  4. Sidney Friedman

    Guest

    I just bought a D70 two days ago because qne with the rebate it was
    $340 less than what the D70s is selling for. The upgraded battery can
    be purchased as a second battery. I don't think you will notice the
    slight difference in screen size. Really the major difference is the
    cable which I can live without. The firmware is easy to update, it
    will take you about five minutes.

    I am quite happy with my D70 and the price I paid for it. Go to
    www.pricegrabber.com and do a search for D70 and look at the prices.

    Bruce
    , May 31, 2005
  5. Sidney Friedman

    Pete D Guest

    > My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
    > understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
    > camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
    > firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
    > as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
    > I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
    >
    > As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money
    > for
    > the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know
    > how
    > yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
    > really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?

    Personaly I cannot live without a cable release or mirrow lockup.
    Pete D, May 31, 2005
  6. Sidney Friedman

    SD Gutman Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Sidney Friedman" <> wrote in message
    >> My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
    >> understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
    >> camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
    >> firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
    >> as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
    >> I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
    >>
    >> As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money
    >> for
    >> the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know
    >> how
    >> yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
    >> really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?
    >>

    > Personaly I cannot live without a cable release or mirrow lockup.

    Can you live with them impersonally?
    SD Gutman, May 31, 2005
  7. Sidney Friedman

    Guest

    The D70 uses a remote control and the D70s uses a cable. I am not
    likely to use either. As for mirrow lockup, if you need to take shots
    from a tripod with the shutter opened from 1 to 30 seconds, then you
    will want a mirror lock up (MLU). If you don't do this, you wont miss
    that feature. If mirror lock is important consider looking at a Canon
    20d.
    , Jun 1, 2005
  8. Sidney Friedman

    RM Guest

    Wired Remote - was Re: D70 or D70s?

    Bubbabob wrote:
    > How badly do you want to attach a release cable that isn't on the market
    > yet and no one knows the price of?

    Particularly when you can get a psuedo 'wired remote' on eBay that works
    via the infrared remote sensor, for either D70 or D70s. You do lose
    the half-press capability, but I have no need for half-press when using
    a tripod (am usually manual focusing anyway, in M exposure mode), so
    this solution works fine for me. Personally, I'd go with another D70 if
    I needed another body (I'm thinking of picking one up to convert into a
    dedicated Infrared body), and pocket the $$$ difference vs. the D70s.

    RM
    RM, Jun 1, 2005
  9. Sidney Friedman

    Bubbabob Guest

    Re: Wired Remote - was Re: D70 or D70s?

    RM <> wrote:

    > Bubbabob wrote:
    >> How badly do you want to attach a release cable that isn't on the
    >> market yet and no one knows the price of?

    > Particularly when you can get a psuedo 'wired remote' on eBay that
    > works
    > via the infrared remote sensor, for either D70 or D70s. You do lose
    > the half-press capability, but I have no need for half-press when
    > using a tripod (am usually manual focusing anyway, in M exposure
    > mode), so this solution works fine for me. Personally, I'd go with
    > another D70 if I needed another body (I'm thinking of picking one up
    > to convert into a dedicated Infrared body), and pocket the $$$
    > difference vs. the D70s.
    >
    > RM

    I made a device from an alligator clip and a cut-down adjustable
    inspection mirror got the idea on the net) that clips onto the left strap
    fitting and works perfectly for triggering the infrared remote from
    behind. It was about a $4.00 investment plus a minute of hacksaw and file
    time.
    Bubbabob, Jun 2, 2005
  10. Sidney Friedman

    Kevin Guest

    On 31 May 2005 17:08:52 -0700, wrote:

    >The D70 uses a remote control and the D70s uses a cable. I am not
    >likely to use either. As for mirrow lockup, if you need to take shots
    >from a tripod with the shutter opened from 1 to 30 seconds, then you
    >will want a mirror lock up (MLU). If you don't do this, you wont miss
    >that feature. If mirror lock is important consider looking at a Canon
    >20d.

    Just recieved my D70 Kit the other day, All I have to say is WOW!!!!
    What a Great Camera. And not a bad piece of glass with the kit. This
    has the latest 2.0 firmware installed on it.

    IT ALSO HAS MIRROR LOCK UP.

    Reason went with d70 over d70, same performance once firmware
    upgraded, and about $200 less after rebate.
    Kevin, Jun 3, 2005
  11. Sidney Friedman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Kevin wrote:

    > Just recieved my D70 Kit the other day, All I have to say is WOW!!!!
    > What a Great Camera. And not a bad piece of glass with the kit. This
    > has the latest 2.0 firmware installed on it.
    >
    > IT ALSO HAS MIRROR LOCK UP.

    Sorry, that's only for cleaning the sensor, not for shooting with. I
    have a D70 and am happy with it, the mirror lockup would be nice but...

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, Jun 3, 2005