D70 or D100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bas v.d. Wiel, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Hello all,
    From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of them
    are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more expensive
    though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these days? This is not
    a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on buying one of these as a
    companion to my F90X film SLR.
    I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
    nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
    differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
    I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
    grip option.

    Bas

    Bas v.d. Wiel, Apr 7, 2005

  2. There is a vertical battery grip on the market for a D70. Visit the URL
    below

    http://www.harbortronics.com/VGD70.asp

    I'm going to buy the vertical grip, probably from our local camera shop.

    Bob

    "Bas v.d. Wiel" <-media.nl> wrote in
    message

    Robert Nabors, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Bas v.d. Wiel" <-media.nl> wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of
    > them are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more
    > expensive though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these
    > days? This is not a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on
    > buying one of these as a companion to my F90X film SLR.
    > I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
    > nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
    > differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash
    > sync? I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the
    > vertical grip option.
    >
    > Bas

    The noise that the D70 exhibits at high ISO is more filmlike than the
    D100's. It a lower color noise:luminance noise ratio. The D70 writes
    faster. If you shoot RAW, the D100's uncompressed files are huge and the
    compressed ones take an ungodly amount of time to write. On the other
    hand, you can use a release cable on the D100 (the D70s will have this
    capability). The D100's vibration reduction mode to cut mirror slap is a
    big plus in my book. I use a D100 at work and own a D70. I think the
    vertical grip is a joke. We got one with our D100 but never use it. Our
    hands aren't deformed so we can hold a camera in the vertical position
    as easily as the horizontal for any length of time. Also, you can clean
    the D70's CCD while on battery power. No need to buy the exorbitant
    Nikon power supply.

    Bubbabob, Apr 8, 2005
  4. "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > "Bas v.d. Wiel" <-media.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >> From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of
    >> them are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more
    >> expensive though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these
    >> days? This is not a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on
    >> buying one of these as a companion to my F90X film SLR.
    >> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
    >> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
    >> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash
    >> sync? I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the
    >> vertical grip option.
    >>
    >> Bas
    >>

    > The noise that the D70 exhibits at high ISO is more filmlike than the
    > D100's. It a lower color noise:luminance noise ratio. The D70 writes
    > faster. If you shoot RAW, the D100's uncompressed files are huge and the
    > compressed ones take an ungodly amount of time to write. On the other
    > hand, you can use a release cable on the D100 (the D70s will have this
    > capability). The D100's vibration reduction mode to cut mirror slap is a
    > big plus in my book. I use a D100 at work and own a D70. I think the
    > vertical grip is a joke. We got one with our D100 but never use it. Our
    > hands aren't deformed so we can hold a camera in the vertical position
    > as easily as the horizontal for any length of time. Also, you can clean
    > the D70's CCD while on battery power. No need to buy the exorbitant
    > Nikon power supply.

    Of the four digital cameras I own only the Olympus E 20, has a vertical grip
    battery pack that has been great for shooting lots of photos in one day. I
    hate changing batteries to keep shooting, especially if they are AA size and
    rain and snow is falling.

    There is no need to buy a vertical grip for the D70 in order to hold the
    camera better. It is quite easy to hold without any vertical grip.

    I just returned from a 30 day cruise with 1,230 large photos. If you are
    interested, you can see a few greatly reduced photos of the cruise including
    Antarctica on the WEB at:

    http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/cruise/Cruise.html

    Bob

    Robert Nabors, Apr 8, 2005
  5. In article
    <-media.
    nl>, Bas v.d. Wiel <-media.nl>
    wrote:

    > I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
    > nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
    > differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
    > I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
    > grip option.

    The first difference in in the electronics, the second in the film
    camera they're based on. The D70 is electronically more modern and
    quite a bit faster. The signal processing is better as well.

    BUT, the D70 is based on a rather low priced consumer body; it's less
    robustly constructed. The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
    instead of a solid pentaprism. While this makes it lighter and less
    expensive, it's at the cost of viewfinder brightness, contrast, and
    magnification.

    Me, I'd like to see a blend of the two. There are rumors this will
    happen sometime this summer.

    Scott Schuckert, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Scott Schuckert <> writes:
    > BUT, the D70 is based on a rather low priced consumer body; it's less
    > robustly constructed. The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
    > instead of a solid pentaprism. While this makes it lighter and less
    > expensive, it's at the cost of viewfinder brightness, contrast, and
    > magnification.

    The D100 is also based on a low priced consumer body (the F80/N80).
    I guess The D70 is based on an even lower priced consumer body.

    > Me, I'd like to see a blend of the two. There are rumors this will
    > happen sometime this summer.

    The models coming this summer are the D70S (fairly minor upgrade to
    the D70) and the D50 (entry level DSLR to compete with the Digital
    Rebel). Any new amateur model higher than the D70S will probably not
    happen til late 2005 at the earliest.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <-media.
    > nl>, Bas v.d. Wiel <-media.nl>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
    >> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
    >> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
    >> I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
    >> grip option.

    > The first difference in in the electronics, the second in the film
    > camera they're based on. The D70 is electronically more modern and
    > quite a bit faster. The signal processing is better as well.
    >
    > BUT, the D70 is based on a rather low priced consumer body; it's less
    > robustly constructed. The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
    > instead of a solid pentaprism. While this makes it lighter and less
    > expensive, it's at the cost of viewfinder brightness, contrast, and
    > magnification.
    >
    > Me, I'd like to see a blend of the two. There are rumors this will
    > happen sometime this summer.

    Have you disassembled a D70? I do not believe that the urban myth of a
    pentamirror is correct.

    Regardless, as the owner of both, the D70 does not suffer in brightness,
    build quality or anything else to the D100. I would buy the D70 in a
    heartbeat and will be selling my D100 as I bougtht a D2X

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 12, 2005
  8. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Bubbabob Guest

    Scott Schuckert <> wrote:

    > The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
    > instead of a solid pentaprism.

    Not true. They specify a 'penta-dach-prism'. Dach is German for roof. It's
    a roof prism, not a porroprism made of mirrors. Nikon could have made this
    clearer if they would hire a few more English speakers.

    Bubbabob, Apr 13, 2005
  9. In article <Xns9636E7F66DF8Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
    Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

    > Not true. They specify a 'penta-dach-prism'. Dach is German for roof. It's
    > a roof prism, not a porroprism made of mirrors. Nikon could have made this
    > clearer if they would hire a few more English speakers.

    It's possible I'm wrong; I haven't taken one apart. I'm basing this on
    the following - the film body the D70 is based on uses a pentamirror;
    and two Nikon factory reps have told me personally that it uses a
    mirror arrangement. The fact that (my eyes, at least) see a clear
    difference in the VF tends to confirm this.

    ANYONE out there seen one apart?

    Also, my information shows that both roof prism and porro prisms are
    traditional solid glass prisms. Were you implying that a porroprism was
    the same as what I've been calling a "pentamirror"?

    Scott Schuckert, Apr 13, 2005
  10. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:59:39 -0400, Scott Schuckert <>
    wrote:

    >In article <Xns9636E7F66DF8Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
    >Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Not true. They specify a 'penta-dach-prism'. Dach is German for roof. It's
    >> a roof prism, not a porroprism made of mirrors. Nikon could have made this
    >> clearer if they would hire a few more English speakers.

    >It's possible I'm wrong; I haven't taken one apart. I'm basing this on
    >the following - the film body the D70 is based on uses a pentamirror;
    >and two Nikon factory reps have told me personally that it uses a
    >mirror arrangement. The fact that (my eyes, at least) see a clear
    >difference in the VF tends to confirm this.
    >
    >ANYONE out there seen one apart?

    Read the very last post (bottom of the page) first, then read the
    others if you want to see the full discussion. It would, unless models
    differ between countries, seem that it is a (smaller) pentaprism.

    http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dc...w_thread&om=75&forum=DCForumID86&viewmode=all

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/4z234

    >Also, my information shows that both roof prism and porro prisms are
    >traditional solid glass prisms.

    From what I can find, yes.

    I'm certain the D70 penta-conspiracy is not going to be solved quickly
    unless we see photos.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Apr 13, 2005
  11. Tom Scales <> wrote:

    > Have you disassembled a D70? I do not believe that the urban myth of a
    > pentamirror is correct.
    >
    > Regardless, as the owner of both, the D70 does not suffer in brightness,
    > build quality or anything else to the D100. I would buy the D70 in a
    > heartbeat and will be selling my D100 as I bougtht a D2X

    Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed by
    a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 13, 2005
  12. In article <>, Owamanga
    <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Read the very last post (bottom of the page) first, then read the
    > others if you want to see the full discussion. It would, unless models
    > differ between countries, seem that it is a (smaller) pentaprism.

    Yikes! I'd been assuming this was simply a little-known fact, not the
    subject of a major controversy!

    If everyone who posts here will chip in a buck or two towards a body,
    I'm willing to trash a bandsaw blade...

    Perhaps the best statment I can make is that the D70's I've personally
    seen had viewfinders that were smaller, dimmer, and lower in contrast
    that any Nikon film SLR I've ever owned - and that the D100's I've seen
    were MUCH closer to that standard.

    Scott Schuckert, Apr 13, 2005
  13. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Scott Schuckert <> writes:
    > If everyone who posts here will chip in a buck or two towards a body,
    > I'm willing to trash a bandsaw blade...
    >
    > Perhaps the best statment I can make is that the D70's I've personally
    > seen had viewfinders that were smaller, dimmer, and lower in contrast
    > that any Nikon film SLR I've ever owned - and that the D100's I've seen
    > were MUCH closer to that standard.

    I know as a fact that the D100 is based on the F80/N80 35mm SLR body
    and I believe it uses the same viewfinder system, masked off for the
    smaller image area of the DX sensor compared to a 35mm film frame.
    I'm under the impression (but am not sure) that the D70 is based on
    the F75/N75 and uses similar masking.

    Likewise, the D1[h,x] and D2[h,x,hs] series are based on sort of a
    hybrid F100/F5 platform (now recirculated into the F6) but again use a
    35mm viewfinder system masked down to DX size. So -ALL- the Nikon
    DSLR's have a much smaller apparent finder image than the
    corresponding 35mm versions.

    I don't know when they will get around to making DSLR viewfinder
    systems that are correctly sized for the actual sensors they're using,
    so we can again have big viewfinder images.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 13, 2005
  14. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:

    > Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed
    > by a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.

    Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.

    Bubbabob, Apr 14, 2005
  15. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bubbabob wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed
    >>by a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.
    >>

    > Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.

    Someone with adequate funds in pursuit of perfection.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2005
  16. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Bubbabob wrote:
    >> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed
    >>>by a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.
    >>>

    >> Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.

    > Someone with adequate funds in pursuit of perfection.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    I missed a middle question, but I suspect this was directed at me. I bought
    the D100 when it was the only 'affordable'. Added a D70 as a second body.

    Happiness ensued!

    Now I have been enjoying them both for long enough that I was ready for
    more. Namely the D2X.

    Awesome camera.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 14, 2005
  17. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bubbabob wrote:

    >>>Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.

    >>Someone with adequate funds in pursuit of perfection.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Ron Hunter

    > I missed a middle question, but I suspect this was directed at me. I bought
    > the D100 when it was the only 'affordable'. Added a D70 as a second body.
    >
    > Happiness ensued!
    >
    > Now I have been enjoying them both for long enough that I was ready for
    > more. Namely the D2X.
    >
    > Awesome camera.
    >
    > Tom

    At more than 2lbs. and over $3000, it is a rather expensive boat anchor.
    Nice camera for someone who doesn't have to carry it much. Probably
    great for the studio.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2005
  18. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > At more than 2lbs. and over $3000, it is a rather expensive boat anchor.
    > Nice camera for someone who doesn't have to carry it much. Probably great
    > for the studio.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    Let me guess. Never used one? Can't afford one?

    I have.

    It's not that heavy. I've shot thousands of images, carried it around the
    US, etc., etc.

    Worth the weight. If you think the 20D or D70 is good, then your standards
    are too low.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 14, 2005
  19. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Ken Tough Guest

    Tom Scales <> wrote:

    >Worth the weight. If you think the 20D or D70 is good, then your standards
    >are too low.

    What do you see as the primary benefit of the D2X over the D70?
    Viewfinder? Colour quality? Ergonomics? Build quality? (Not
    mpix, surely).

    What fundamentally makes it orth 5.5x the price? (And please
    don't say 'all,together')

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Apr 14, 2005
  20. Bas v.d. Wiel

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Ken Tough" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales <> wrote:
    >
    >>Worth the weight. If you think the 20D or D70 is good, then your
    >>standards
    >>are too low.

    > What do you see as the primary benefit of the D2X over the D70?
    > Viewfinder? Colour quality? Ergonomics? Build quality? (Not
    > mpix, surely).
    >
    > What fundamentally makes it orth 5.5x the price? (And please
    > don't say 'all,together')
    >
    > --
    > Ken Tough

    I DO see megapixels as important -- I print up to poster size on my Epson
    7600. Pixels are important. However, beyond that:

    1) Image usability -- the JPEGs out of the camera can be used without
    touchup. They're stunning. Not true of the D70 and D100 if you want the
    best images. In addition I can shoot RAW+JPEG FINE, which I cannot do with
    either of the other bodies.

    2) Speed. Between full size 12mp and cropped 6mp, the speed is incredible.
    I shoot a lot of sports. The 2X multiplication in crop mode is great for
    use in sports

    3) Build quality is superior. No ifs, ands or buts

    4) Ergonomics. The controls are outstanding and clearly superior

    I could go on.

    Is it worth $5K? Depends on your use. To me, it was, but $5K may not mean
    as much to me as it does to you.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 14, 2005