    Any suggestion for D70 night shuts, need advice in bright night photos .
    have you any experience with M setting ISO 200, appreciate it.

    Cheers.
    Majid Khosrow, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Majid Khosrow wrote:
    > Any suggestion for D70 night shuts, need advice in bright night

    photos .
    > have you any experience with M setting ISO 200, appreciate it.

    For night shots, you need:
    - A fast lens
    - A tripod
    - ISO set to atleast 400, if not 800
    - Nice lens hood to avoid flare during long exposures
    - Mirror lockup
    - Remote IR or wired shutter release. Failing these, use the timer
    - Lots of patience

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Majid Khosrow

    Sheldon Guest

    "Majid Khosrow" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Any suggestion for D70 night shuts, need advice in bright night photos .
    > have you any experience with M setting ISO 200, appreciate it.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Experiment, as you can see your results right away. The D70 will also allow
    the ISO to float, where you set a minimum shutter speed you want to work
    with, and the ISO will rise based on the shutter speed you set and the
    maxumum aperture of the lens. I don't thing this works with the M setting,
    however.

    Sheldon, Feb 12, 2005
  4. I tried this settings with 18-70 mm, tripod, UV filter
    happy with brightness but mirroring bothers ..... so I think ISO 200 coming
    best out in landscape under moonlight.

    Exposure Mode: Manuel
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    8 sec - F/7.1
    Exposure Comp: -0.3 EV
    Optimize Image: Normal
    White B: Auto -2
    AF Mode: Manuel
    Flash Sync: Not Attached
    Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
    Tone Comp: Auto
    Hue Adjustment: 0
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpening: Auto

    Cheers.

    Majid Khosrow, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Majid Khosrow

    Guest

    Why the higher ISO speeds? Unless the subject is moving, all you gain
    is a bit extra noise along with shorter shutter speeds.

    I would also add - remove ANY filters from front of lens to avoid
    double images.
    , Feb 12, 2005
  6. Majid Khosrow

    Roy Guest

    When I started serious photography, there was only Manual.

    For night work, you just have to experiment. f5.6 or f8, and guess at how
    many seconds you might need, your guess is as good as anyones.
    You will be able to review your result, and try again. The exposure time
    also depends on what sort of result you want.

    With longish exposures, any shake induced by you pressing the shutter
    release will be insignificant, but it can be eliminated by using a very
    short delay on Timed Release. For very long exposure times use "Bulb", and
    live with the shake if you don't have a remote. Remember that most Tripods
    are not all that rigid, and a wind can also induce Shake.

    Unless your subject is moving, remember the Moon and Stars do move, then you
    can use 200ASA, and just expose for longer.

    Why were you using exposure compensation?

    Why not save as NEF and then you can play around with White Balance on your
    computer, when you convert to Tiff or PSD.

    As always my advice is "Try it and See".

    Roy

    Roy, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Majid Khosrow

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Majid Khosrow wrote:

    > I tried this settings with 18-70 mm, tripod, UV filter

    As others have mentioned.. Remove the UV filter for night
    shots.

    You'll most certainly wind up with reflections, especially
    if you're shooting city scenes where there are lots of points
    of light from things like signs, windows and street lights.

    Quality multi-coated filters will reduce the reflections,
    but no filter at all will work much better :)

    A lens hood is also a good investment.. Especially if you're
    using a wide angle lens.

    Jim Townsend, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Fun is the Manual part :) otherwise lots of settings to remember LOL.

    I got a good result on f10 in 15 sec. shooting city scenes with a lot of
    street lights, but
    its not easy moving around city with a tripod along.

    I think is much better to do all sharpen, tone comp, color modes on camera
    then doing
    PS or Nikon CE.

    Sometimes I get blur (spot) in my pictures (look likes reflection),
    especially around the moon, maybe is time to
    get a remote (I have suspicious about shakes when I press the shutter- as
    you mentioned).

    Cheers

    Majid Khosrow, Feb 13, 2005
  9. wrote:
    > Why the higher ISO speeds? Unless the subject is moving, all you

    gain
    > is a bit extra noise along with shorter shutter speeds.

    Yes, I start with low ISO (100-200) but lower ISOs mean longer shutter
    speeds as well. With longer shutter speeds the chance of stray light,
    flaring, being disturbed by surrounding elements increases. In my Canon
    300D, I find ISO-400 produces relatively noise free images.

    > I would also add - remove ANY filters from front of lens to avoid
    > double images.

    Yes, a UV filter isn't going to help much in the night with the image
    quality. But that said, I haven't noticed any double images in my shots
    and my B+W UV filter always remains on.

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 13, 2005
  10. Majid Khosrow

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Majid Khosrow" <> wrote:

    > I think is much better to do all sharpen, tone comp, color modes on
    > camera then doing PS or Nikon CE.

    How so?
    Bubbabob, Feb 13, 2005
  11. Majid Khosrow

    Ken Tough Guest

    Majid Khosrow <> wrote:

    >Any suggestion for D70 night shuts, need advice in bright night photos .
    >have you any experience with M setting ISO 200, appreciate it.

    No one seems to have mentioned the "dark noise subtraction" mode,
    which you can switch on from custom settings. I've not found need
    for it myself, but it helps if you have some hot pixels. (It takes
    a second exposure with shutter closed, and uses it to compensate
    noise in the image).

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Feb 14, 2005
  12. Majid Khosrow

    Bubbabob Guest

    Ken Tough <> wrote:

    > No one seems to have mentioned the "dark noise subtraction" mode,
    > which you can switch on from custom settings. I've not found need
    > for it myself, but it helps if you have some hot pixels. (It takes
    > a second exposure with shutter closed, and uses it to compensate
    > noise in the image).

    You'll also need it if your exposure is long enough to show the dreaded
    'amp glow'.
    Bubbabob, Feb 16, 2005