    --
    Jimmy Greene
    Nikon D70, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8

    JimmyG, Oct 24, 2005

  2. JimmyG

    JR Guest

    What mode are you using? I think it only works in certain modes,
    manual, center weighted, matrix metering i dont think will work.

    JR

    JR, Oct 24, 2005

  3. JimmyG

    Roy Guest

    "JimmyG" <> wrote in message
    >I just discovered that my newly acquired 50mm f/4 P lens simply will not
    >meter with D70's or D70S's. The manual states that this CPU lens should
    >work. It doesn't.
    >
    > I'm waiting for a response from Nikon on this.
    >
    > Has anybody else had a similar experience?
    >
    > --
    > Jimmy Greene
    > Nikon D70, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8

    Hi.

    The D70 Manual page 183, has a footnote numbered 4, referring to tilt &
    shift lenses not metering, but does not include a 4 against any of the Ticks
    in the columns.

    Is the "P" lens one of those strange beasts?

    Roy G

    Roy, Oct 24, 2005
  4. JimmyG

    John L Rice Guest

    FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon)

    Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for Windows XP SP2
    and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en

    I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and SilkyPix
    etc. etc.

    And I just noticed this main page for Windows XP digital photographers :
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/default.mspx

    John L Rice

    John L Rice, Jan 6, 2006
  5. JimmyG

    NickC Guest

    Re: FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon)

    "John L Rice" <> wrote in

    > Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
    > Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b
    > 10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    > experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
    > SilkyPix etc. etc.

    It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
    no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.

    As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
    installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.

    If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
    to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
    Canon reader.

    [yeah, I'm a bit pissed off with MS at the moment.]

    --
    Nick

    NickC, Jan 7, 2006
  6. JimmyG

    John L Rice Guest

    "NickC" <> wrote in message
    > "John L Rice" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
    >> Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b
    >> 10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >>
    >> I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    >> experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
    >> SilkyPix etc. etc.
    >>

    > It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
    > no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
    >
    > As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
    > installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
    >
    > If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
    > to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
    > Canon reader.
    >
    > [yeah, I'm a bit pissed off with MS at the moment.]
    >
    > --
    > Nick

    Hi Nick,

    Sorry you are having problems. It was no big deal for me since I'm a
    developer and currently have Visual Studio 2003 installed on my machine
    (which uses .NET 1.1) so I just needed to download the 6 MB installer for
    the RAW converter. Quick and easy.

    And just FYI (for anyone reading this) the .NET frameworks are similar to
    the VB and FoxPro runtime engines that get installed as needed. VB4 apps
    can't use the VB3 runtime engine and VB6 apps can't use the VB5 runtime
    engine and so on. So applications written under .NET 1, .NET 1.1 or .NET
    2.0 need the correct framework to run on. The good news is that VB.NET,
    C#.NET, ASP.NET etc etc all use the same framework.(within a version) . It
    just gets installed once and subsequent app are good to go.

    Since anyone wanting to use Microsoft Windows operating systems and
    applications and stay current, the one time download and installation of the
    different frameworks is inevitable and not a waste of time or space in my
    opinion.

    John L Rice

    John L Rice, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Re: FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon)

    NickC wrote:
    > "John L Rice" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
    >>Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b
    >>10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >>
    >>I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    >>experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
    >>SilkyPix etc. etc.
    >>

    > It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
    > no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
    >
    > As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
    > installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
    >
    > If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
    > to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
    > Canon reader.
    >
    > [yeah, I'm a bit pissed off with MS at the moment.]

    I'll second you on that. I downloaded a chaps program for converting VOB
    files to MPG ( VOB2MPG ). During the installation it tried to log onto
    MS and download that 25MB file. I'm on dial up but got a friend to d/l
    it for me. During the installation of .NET ver 2.0 it now wanted to log
    onto MS again to validate my license. That was the last straw. I dumped
    ..NET 2 and erased the VOB2MPG file .... along with the memory of the
    kind chap who put his program up for all to use.

    Bernard Rother, Jan 7, 2006
  8. JimmyG

    John L Rice Guest

    "Bernard Rother" <> wrote in message
    > NickC wrote:
    >> "John L Rice" <> wrote in
    >>>Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
    >>>Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b
    >>>10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >>>I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    >>>experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
    >>>SilkyPix etc. etc.
    >>>

    >> It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's no
    >> real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
    >>
    >> As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
    >> installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
    >>
    >> If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just to
    >> read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native Canon
    >> reader.
    >>
    >> [yeah, I'm a bit pissed off with MS at the moment.]
    >>

    > I'll second you on that. I downloaded a chaps program for converting VOB
    > files to MPG ( VOB2MPG ). During the installation it tried to log onto MS
    > and download that 25MB file. I'm on dial up but got a friend to d/l it for
    > me. During the installation of .NET ver 2.0 it now wanted to log onto MS
    > again to validate my license. That was the last straw. I dumped .NET 2 and
    > erased the VOB2MPG file .... along with the memory of the kind chap who
    > put his program up for all to use.

    Because technology keeps advancing and people keep trying to steal it,
    sooner or later you are going to have to down load/install some new large
    files and deal with the copy protection, unless you are happy with your
    current software. Fact of life, it's going to get worse, not better.

    John L Rice

    John L Rice, Jan 7, 2006
  9. JimmyG

    Quaoar Guest

    NickC wrote:
    > "John L Rice" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
    >> Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b
    >> 10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >>
    >> I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    >> experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
    >> SilkyPix etc. etc.
    >>

    > It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
    > no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
    >
    > As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
    > installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
    >
    > If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
    > to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
    > Canon reader.
    >
    > [yeah, I'm a bit pissed off with MS at the moment.]

    You ought to be pissed. The Hidden Information is that the v1.1 was not
    to be removed by the user when v 2 was installed. This right on the
    heels of tha java runtime fiasco where the vulnerable versions of java
    were not removed by the installer for the invulnerable version and Sun
    had to revise the installer.

    Quaoar, Jan 7, 2006
  10. Re: FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon)

    Not withstanding all of the above, has any one actually used the XP
    RAW converter enough to venture an opinion?

    JPB

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 17, 2006
  11. JimmyG

    How Bizarre Guest

    "Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in message

    > Not withstanding all of the above, has any one actually used the XP
    > RAW converter enough to venture an opinion?

    All of what above? I only see a 1 blank line ;o)
    Joking aside, yours is a good advert for why "relevant" parts of the post
    should be quoted.
    You would get a lot more response if everyone that read your post new
    exactly what you were referring to.

    How Bizarre, Jan 17, 2006
  12. Re: FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon) ... Off Topic

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:38:41 -0000, "How Bizarre" <go@away> wrote:

    >"Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Not withstanding all of the above, has any one actually used the XP
    >> RAW converter enough to venture an opinion?

    >All of what above? I only see a 1 blank line ;o)

    I guess you did not happen to notice the eight or ten prior posts in
    this thread?

    >Joking aside, yours is a good advert for why "relevant" parts of the post
    >should be quoted.

    The original poster asked for opinions regarding a RAW image
    converter. In the responding remarks about Micro$oft there were no
    "relevant" posts to quote.

    >You would get a lot more response if everyone that read your post new
    >exactly what you were referring to.

    What part of my question "...has any one actually used the XP RAW
    converter enough to venture an opinion?..." are you having a problem
    with?

    Usenet is hard for some, but don't feel badly. You will figure it out
    eventually. One hint to assist you in the future is to see if you can
    find a line towards the top of a post titled "subject". Many times
    what is written there will give you helpful information. Another hint
    is that when a question is asked, an answer to the question is much,
    much more appreciated than just a response devoid of any relevance.

    JPB

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 19, 2006
  13. Re: FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon)

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 19, 2006
  14. JimmyG

    Brian Guest

    Re: FYI - free Windows XP RAW converter (for Nikon and Canon)

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:59:39 -0500, Just Plain Bill
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:29:28 -0800, "John L Rice" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for Windows XP SP2
    >>and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
    >>
    >>I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
    >>experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and SilkyPix
    >>etc. etc.
    >>
    >>And I just noticed this main page for Windows XP digital photographers :
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/default.mspx
    >>
    >>John L Rice

    My Canon ZoomBrowser EX started playing up and wouldn't recognise or
    download JPEGs from the camera or card reader once I'd installed the
    plug in. I've uninstalled it and everythings OK again.

    Brian

    (For email change closed to open)

    Brian, Jan 19, 2006