D70 infrared filters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darrell, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
    > be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
    > great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
    > have any experience in this area?
    >
    > If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
    > knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

    Hoya R72, Ilford SFX, Kodak Wratten 87C are three. The Ilford is the
    cheapest, but isn't as deep into IR as the others.
    Darrell, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Same reason people shot IR film, artistic reasons...

    Tim, Feb 17, 2005
  4. "Tim"wrote in message

    > If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
    > knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

    I bought a couple of Hoya R72 filters. I bought one from Jessops and waited
    several weeks for it and another second hand from eBay and got it in a
    couple of days.

    Hope that helps,
    Robert.
    --
    www.robertaustin.co.uk
    Robert Austin, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Darrell

    Owamanga Guest

    On 17 Feb 2005 04:20:46 -0800, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
    >be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
    >great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
    >have any experience in this area?
    >
    >If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
    >knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

    Buy it online to someone who ships to the UK, or order it from your
    local Jessups.

    Here are some common IR filters:

    Hoya R72
    Hoya RM90

    Wratten 88A
    Wratten 89B
    Wratten 87
    Wratten 87C
    Wratten 70

    I'm sure B&W and others make them too.

    Each filter has it's own properties, some let visible light in, some
    do not, some block different parts of the deep red and IR spectrum.
    The darker the filter, the longer the exposure needs to be. In the
    case of the 87C a sunny day might need a 1.5sec exposure at 200ISO f/8
    due to the number of stops lost by the filter. (These are IR PASS
    filters, that block to lessor or more degree, anything but IR)

    This site gives you an idea visually of the difference between the
    wratten filters:

    http://www.photo.net/photo/edscott/ir000020.htm

    As I mentioned, some filters let you see *some* visible light through
    the lens (R72 for example), allowing you to at least try and focus,
    compose the shot etc, others block all visible light (RM90), so you
    have to do this blind - or compose first then attach the filter. The
    RM90 for example needs about an 11 stop exposure increase.

    The final thing you need to decide for the filter, is the diameter
    required to fit your lens. If you have the Kit D70 lens, it'll be
    67mm. Alternatively look at the Cokin filter system, which will avoid
    any vignetting (they use a square filter holder), and their 89B.

    IR photography needs more than just a filter. There are different
    'good times of day', focussing needs to be adjusted (IR wavelengh is
    far off the scale compared to the center of visible light that AF and
    your own eyes focus on), tripod is required and good subjects are
    difficult to identify because you can't see IR. Shoot RAW, you'll need
    to do some post work in PS afterwards and some people recommend
    you are shooting RAW anyway).

    If you want to go crazy, and convert your D70 in to a much more
    responsive infra-red camera, you have to open it up and remove the IR
    blocking filter Nikon put on the sensor:
    http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/d70/ircut.htm

    Here is some tips on IR photography with the D70:
    http://www.nature-photography-central.com/Digital_Infrared_Photography_with_the_Nikon_D70.html

    and here:
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/D70_rev05IR.html

    and here:
    http://www.bythom.com/infrared.htm

    General IR tips (time of day etc):
    http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo_infrared.htm

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Feb 17, 2005
  6. Darrell

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Darrell

    Sheldon Guest

    Sheldon, Feb 17, 2005
  8. Darrell

    Deep Reset Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    >I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
    > be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
    > great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
    > have any experience in this area?
    >
    > If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
    > knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

    There's a Cokin IR filter - available from Jessops.

    Deep.
    Deep Reset, Feb 17, 2005
  9. Darrell

    chidalgo Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > This is new to me. Why would I want to put an IR filter on my camera?

    to do infrared photography. Look on the web for galleries; it does
    produce a nice effect on your pictures.

    --
    chidalgo
    chidalgo, Feb 17, 2005
  10. Darrell

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:56:37 -0700, "Sheldon"
    <> wrote:

    >This is new to me. Why would I want to put an IR filter on my camera?

    It's an IR Pass filter to block all non-IR (UV & visible light) so
    that only IR gets through to the sensor.

    It makes for some interesting affects.

    Slideshow of example B/W pictures:
    http://rickwong.com/IR Slides.html

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Feb 17, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
    > be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
    > great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
    > have any experience in this area?

    You face a tradeoff between speed and strength of the IR effect -- the
    deeper the cutoff of your filter, the stronger the visual effect, but the
    slower the effective speed of the camera.

    http://www.photo.net/photo/edscott/ir000020.htm is written for film
    photography, but has comparison spectra for the most common infrared
    filters.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Joshua Putnam, Feb 18, 2005
  12. Darrell

    Ken Tough Guest

    Sheldon <> wrote:

    >This is new to me. Why would I want to put an IR filter on my camera?

    Remember those x-ray specs in the old comic books? Depending on
    the clothes and the intensity of the sunlight, you can get the
    same effect. Have a look at www.maxmax.com.

    Otherwise, it makes for some nice landscape effects too.

    A good page:
    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

    --
    Ken Tough