    of waiting on the next Nikon....

    Any thoughts?

    Tim

    Destin_FL, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Destin_FL

    Mark² Guest

    "Destin_FL" <> wrote in message
    news:FdzWd.24352$Sn6.19794@lakeread03...
    > Hello all..
    > Do camera manufacturers make changes/improvements/refinements to cameras in the
    > months, years after their release?
    > Specifically I am wondering if the Nikon D70 is the same camera that it was when
    > originally put on the market. Canon is about to release a new, obviously
    > improved Rebel, and one might suppose that the mere leap in technology from the
    > first D70 to this new Rebel will be very telling. But if Nikon has actually
    > been making improvements to the D70 all along the past 18 months or so, the new
    > Rebel might not be all that much better.
    > On the other hand, if the D70 is unchanged in the past 18 months, I might think
    > of waiting on the next Nikon....
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Tim

    Typically only major flaws are corrected, and these usually only have to do with software
    (firmware), rather than the hardware of the camera itself. Most manufacturers will also
    release firmware updates which can be downloaded, and "burned" into your camera's system
    after purchase.

    So... For the most part, cameras stay essentially the same until the next model comes
    out--not counting firmware updates...and remember...firmware updates are available even to
    those who bought their cameras early in the production cycle.

    -Mark

    Mark², Mar 6, 2005

  3. Destin_FL

    Sheldon Guest

    > On the other hand, if the D70 is unchanged in the past 18 months, I might
    > think
    > of waiting on the next Nikon....
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Well, I'm still waiting for 3-D TV. :) I would say the fact that the D70
    still sells like hotcakes and gets good reviews, even against competition
    with more megapixels, the only think Nikon can do to the D70 is up the
    megapixels, which may be a good thing or a bad thing. IMO Nikon seems to
    take a wait/see attitude towards the competition, and then improve on the
    next model -- rather than try to be on the cutting edge right out of the
    gate. A cable shutter release and mirror lockup for the D70 would be nice.
    I wonder if they can put a mirror lockup in a newer firmware version we can
    all use.

    Sheldon, Mar 6, 2005
  4. Destin_FL

    measekite Guest

    The process of improvements that you are referring to is called slip
    streaming. This usually occurs in the software industry and most often
    includes a few features and the fixing of bugs that do not warrant a
    version number change.

    measekite, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Destin_FL

    Tony Guest

    Cameras are made in production runs and the only changes in digital cameras
    from run to run tend to be in the firmware - which is usually updatable for
    older runs too. Only cameras that remain on the market a long time (several
    years for example) will have many 'improvements' over the originals - and
    these are usually simply corrections to faults. Whereever there is
    significant change they change the name by adding a number or letter. The
    camera companies want you to know you're getting the latest.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Destin_FL

    [BnH] Guest

    For digital, I believe so. For D70 sucessor, just wait a little while .
    1 thing for sure ... it won't be a quantum leap .... just a frog leap maybe
    :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Mar 6, 2005
  7. Destin_FL

    adm Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
    > For digital, I believe so. For D70 sucessor, just wait a little while .
    > 1 thing for sure ... it won't be a quantum leap .... just a frog leap
    > maybe

    To be pedantic, it will certainly be far more than a quantum leap.

    The phrase "quantum leap" is almost always used incorrectly these days. A
    quantum leap is the smallest possible change that something can make.

    From "Quantum":

    1.. The smallest amount of a physical quantity that can exist
    independently, especially a discrete quantity of electromagnetic radiation.
    Basically, saying something is taking a quantum leap actually means the
    tiniest possible movement, not a huge jump.

    Another incorrectly used phrase is "Meteoric Rise"....

    adm, Mar 7, 2005