    This problem is a nuisance when you are trying to take many shots in the
    dark as you cannot use autofocus.

    Anyone have this problem ? or is this normal for the D70

    I hate spam, Jul 13, 2004

  2. I hate spam

    MikeS Guest

    "I hate spam" <> wrote in message
    news:40f3785a$...
    > The Focus assist light goes off after a few shots in the dark and will not
    > come on again unless it is given a rest of perhaps 30 secs. or more.
    >
    > This problem is a nuisance when you are trying to take many shots in the
    > dark as you cannot use autofocus.
    >
    > Anyone have this problem ? or is this normal for the D70
    >
    > If you take pictures in the dark are you not using the flash doesn't that

    have to charge its capacitor?
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 13, 2004

  3. I hate spam

    I hate spam Guest

    I don't think the focus assist light is linked to the flash capacitor, gotta
    check that out. Anyway it should not take that long to charge up.

    It'll focus and allow me to shoot if I shine a torch on the subject ! No
    such delay as otherwise. Just remembered, if I fit the SB26 onto the hotshoe
    and not use the internal flash, the same thing happens even when the SB26 is
    ready to go !

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    I hate spam, Jul 13, 2004
  4. I hate spam <> schrieb:

    > Anyone have this problem ? or is this normal for the D70

    This is described in the manual.

    Walter

    Walter Hofmann, Jul 13, 2004
  5. I hate spam

    luvjava Guest

    the book states that it's a Heat issue, and to conserve the life of the of
    the assist light, it turns it off to protect the lamp.
    Page 73 of the book.

    Bill

    luvjava, Jul 14, 2004
  6. I hate spam

    I hate spam Guest

    Thank you all, I almost never read the instruction manuals, always assuming
    all SLRs are the same and any difference can be solved instinctively,
    especially having used most of the top end Nikon SLRs.

    I'm off to read the manual !

    I hate spam, Jul 14, 2004
  7. I hate spam

    MikeS Guest

    "luvjava" <> wrote in message
    > the book states that it's a Heat issue, and to conserve the life of the of
    > the assist light, it turns it off to protect the lamp.
    > Page 73 of the book.
    >

    > Bill
    >
    > "Walter Hofmann" <> wrote in message
    > > I hate spam <> schrieb:
    > > >
    > > > Anyone have this problem ? or is this normal for the D70

    > > This is described in the manual.
    > >
    > > Walter
    > >

    > I've looked at page 73 of the manual which I downloaded from Nikon's site

    (I haven't got access to the book as mentioned in your post) and have spent
    10 minits scanning it from top to bottom and cant find any reference to lamp
    overheating.
    Are you getting confused with the fact that the flash will get very hot if
    used continuously and has to be give a rest.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 14, 2004
  8. I hate spam

    John S Guest

    "MikeS" <> wrote in message

    > "luvjava" <> wrote in message
    > > the book states that it's a Heat issue, and to conserve the life of the

    of
    > > the assist light, it turns it off to protect the lamp.
    > > Page 73 of the book.
    > >

    > > Bill
    > >
    > > "Walter Hofmann" <> wrote in message

    > > > This is described in the manual.
    > > >
    > > > Walter
    > > >

    > > I've looked at page 73 of the manual which I downloaded from Nikon's

    site
    > (I haven't got access to the book as mentioned in your post) and have

    spent
    > 10 minits scanning it from top to bottom and cant find any reference to

    lamp
    > overheating.
    > Are you getting confused with the fact that the flash will get very hot if
    > used continuously and has to be give a rest.

    pp 73, bottom of page,

    "Continuous Use of the AF-Assist Illuminator
    After the AF-assist illuminator has been used for several consecutive shots,
    it may turn off briefl y to protect the lamp. The illuminator can be used
    again after a short pause. Note that the illuminator may become hot with
    continuous use."

    That paragraph is talking about the Illuminator getting hot, and thus
    turning off. Illuminator == lamp.

    John S, Jul 14, 2004
  9. I hate spam

    MikeS Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message

    > "MikeS" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "luvjava" <> wrote in message
    > > > the book states that it's a Heat issue, and to conserve the life of

    the
    > of
    > > > the assist light, it turns it off to protect the lamp.
    > > > Page 73 of the book.
    > > >

    > > > Bill
    > > >
    > > > "Walter Hofmann" <> wrote in message

    > > > I've looked at page 73 of the manual which I downloaded from Nikon's

    > site
    > > (I haven't got access to the book as mentioned in your post) and have

    > spent
    > > 10 minits scanning it from top to bottom and cant find any reference to

    > lamp
    > > overheating.
    > > Are you getting confused with the fact that the flash will get very hot

    if
    > > used continuously and has to be give a rest.

    > pp 73, bottom of page,
    >
    > "Continuous Use of the AF-Assist Illuminator
    > After the AF-assist illuminator has been used for several consecutive

    shots,
    > it may turn off briefl y to protect the lamp. The illuminator can be used
    > again after a short pause. Note that the illuminator may become hot with
    > continuous use."
    >
    > That paragraph is talking about the Illuminator getting hot, and thus
    > turning off. Illuminator == lamp.
    >
    > Sorry John,

    God knows what I was looking at. Of course your right what a pratt I am.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 14, 2004