D70 first impressions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Richard

    Guest

    Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
    choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
    between these two myself.

    , Apr 29, 2005

  3. Richard

    Sheldon Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

    Looks good. Did you make any adjustments to the default settings, and what
    mode are you shooting in?

    Thanks.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Richard

    Parker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
    > choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
    > between these two myself.

    Go for the Canon - and that's not the knee-jerk advice of a blindfolded
    'Cannonite'

    I've recently used both cameras and found the D70 to be a typical Sony
    chipped offering - harsh pictures that initially convey a false sense of
    sharpness, but which turn out to have little real fine detail and incapable
    of supporting large crops without degenerating the image.

    I ran a lot of comparison shots on both cameras and found the Canon to be
    consistently better in every respect - colour, detail, resolution (expected
    because of the larger pixel count) and built in flash functionality.

    Interestingly, the pop-up flash was the best I've ever seen on a 'cheap'
    camera - absolutely no trace of red eye in dozens of shots. The Nikon fared
    much worse, despite using red eye reduction.

    Nikon noise wasn't *too* bad - but nowhere near as good as the 350D - in
    fact, when looking at photo's taken with Canon the high ISO's came as a
    constant surprise - to someone like me with no previous experience of
    Canon's they just seemed impossibly 'clean' at 800.

    The deciding test (for me) was a full auto (in both cameras) shot of a
    cupboard containing the usual collection of kitchen cleaning stuff -
    bleaches, soap powders, etc, etc. On the Canon shot is was possible to
    clearly read every single label and bottle from about 6 feet. The D70 had
    less colour, and the printing on the labels was hard to make out due to
    every third or fourth letter being rendered as a sort of italicised
    blue/green blur.

    Remember also that the D70 lens is supposed to be far superior to the 18-55
    Canon - so if the 350D can produce such good results with an inferior lens
    it should really excel with better glass.

    Finally, I *wanted* the Nikon to be better because I liked the size and
    solidity of the thing as well as the wealth of manual controls - however,
    the final image is what counts, and there is absolutely no doubt that the
    Canon romps home in that respect.

    My final choice is a 350D and a battery grip (still deciding on a decent
    'budget' lens.

    HTH.

    Parker, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Richard

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Richard <> writes:
    > Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
    > http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

    Nice shots. I can see you're not in the US. You'd get arrested here
    for taking pictures of a bridge like that. The cops would think you
    were planning to blow it up or something ;-(.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 29, 2005
  6. Richard

    Ken Tough Guest

    Richard <> wrote:

    >Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.

    No flood waters this year then?

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Apr 29, 2005
  7. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > Richard <> writes:
    >> Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

    > Nice shots. I can see you're not in the US. You'd get arrested here
    > for taking pictures of a bridge like that. The cops would think you
    > were planning to blow it up or something ;-(.

    I am not aware of this bridge, so it could be a coincidence. But ...
    there is a Red River on the Dakota/Minnesota border that flows north ...
    so my assumption is that this is the same river and in fact, this bridge
    would be in the United States. But you never now what happens when you
    assume ;-)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 29, 2005
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    My choice for the Nikon was based on having owned 4 35 mm a/f Nikon
    bodies and a multitude of lenses. I sold the bodies and have a few
    lenses that I will use on the D70.
    I used the 18-70mm kit lens fopr the pictures.
    Richard

    Richard, Apr 29, 2005
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I used the "P" mode for most pictures. I did go to aperture Priority
    for a few that I wanted to ensure more DOF with. I also used photoshop
    to sharpen the pictures and to adjust the brightness and colors a bit.
    Also took out a light standard or two and a bit of junk (trees and
    branches) in the water.
    Richard

    Richard, Apr 29, 2005
  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Not so far this year :)
    We did have a rather large snow fall this winter and it melted at the
    right time at the right speed. The Red is still high and no where like
    it was in '97. I suppose if we had a large amount of rain fall anytime
    soon the sand bags would reappear.
    Richard

    Richard, Apr 29, 2005
  11. Richard

    Richard Guest

    The same Red River and it is in Canada, straight North of Minnesota
    N Dakota.

    Richard

    Richard, Apr 29, 2005
  12. Richard

    Pete D Guest

    "Parker" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
    >> choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
    >> between these two myself.

    > Go for the Canon - and that's not the knee-jerk advice of a blindfolded
    > 'Cannonite'
    >

    > I've recently used both cameras and found the D70 to be a typical Sony
    > chipped offering - harsh pictures that initially convey a false sense of
    > sharpness, but which turn out to have little real fine detail and
    > incapable of supporting large crops without degenerating the image.
    >
    > I ran a lot of comparison shots on both cameras and found the Canon to be
    > consistently better in every respect - colour, detail, resolution
    > (expected because of the larger pixel count) and built in flash
    > functionality.

    And yet some reviews have complained of soft images, could this be the same
    back focus issue of the 20D?

    Pete D, Apr 29, 2005
  13. Richard

    Parker Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Parker" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
    >>> choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
    >>> between these two myself.

    >> Go for the Canon - and that's not the knee-jerk advice of a blindfolded
    >> 'Cannonite'
    >>

    >> I've recently used both cameras and found the D70 to be a typical Sony
    >> chipped offering - harsh pictures that initially convey a false sense of
    >> sharpness, but which turn out to have little real fine detail and
    >> incapable of supporting large crops without degenerating the image.
    >>
    >> I ran a lot of comparison shots on both cameras and found the Canon to be
    >> consistently better in every respect - colour, detail, resolution
    >> (expected because of the larger pixel count) and built in flash
    >> functionality.
    >>

    > And yet some reviews have complained of soft images, could this be the
    > same back focus issue of the 20D?

    I checked my example (since returned while I finalise my decision) with the
    kit lens using the downloadable D70 focus test.

    It was focussing correctly (as was the D70). Yes, the images were a little
    bit soft (for my taste, anyway) but I put it down to the lens which is as
    cheap and nasty a thing as you could hope to find.

    Having said that, the softness was fairly minimal - and not a few shots were
    quite sharp, depending on the aperture.

    The thing that I noticed was that the Nikon offered an illusion of sharpness
    and detail - but when zoomed and/or cropped it was easy to spot just how
    superficial that apparent resolution was. Start any serious cropping and
    the image just fell apart in terms of clarity and resolution. I've seen
    this on the Sony sensor before.

    The Canon, on the other hand, seemed to have real substance to the shots -
    loads of detail that stood up to drastic cropping and still produced
    exceptionally clean and very detailed images.

    As stated, I'm about to buy the 350 with a grip (it does look a bit
    'Mattel-like' without it) and a reasonable lens in the 28-70mm range - the
    package will cost more than the D70 kit with rebate, but I just *know* that
    I'll never be satisfied with the D70 (or any of its Sony clones like the
    istD & istDS) after seeing what the little Canon could do.

    Parker, Apr 29, 2005