    Tiffen polarizing filter attached. Please see these photos (LARGE
    FILES!) and let me know if you have any ideas.. thanks!

    http://peteczech.com/help
    PJC, Jun 9, 2004

  2. PJC

    jriegle Guest

    Is the polarizer filter circular type or linear. Usually the circular type
    say so on the ring. I remember my slides coming out dark when I tried to use
    a linear polarizer on my AF film camera. Try removing the polarizer to see
    how it works. Sorry I can't view you photos, I have a dialup connection.
    John

    jriegle, Jun 9, 2004

  3. In article
    <Xusxc.49601$>,
    "jriegle" <> wrote:

    > Is the polarizer filter circular type or linear. Usually the circular type
    > say so on the ring. I remember my slides coming out dark when I tried to use
    > a linear polarizer on my AF film camera. Try removing the polarizer to see
    > how it works. Sorry I can't view you photos, I have a dialup connection.
    > John

    My thoughts too,..... a circular or linear polarizer?
    --
    Duzz that A moose you ?
    Any Moose Poster, Jun 9, 2004
  4. PJC

    ESmith Guest

    Looked at one looked like the Capitol, not really that dark, but seems like
    a lot of noise, what iso did you use?

    --
    Ed Smith

    ESmith, Jun 9, 2004
  5. PJC

    MikeS Guest

    "PJC" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have gotten a Nikon D70 and have been using my old Sigma 28-80 lens.
    > For some reason, all of the photos are dark! FYI, There was also a
    > Tiffen polarizing filter attached. Please see these photos (LARGE
    > FILES!) and let me know if you have any ideas.. thanks!
    >
    > http://peteczech.com/help

    PJC HI,
    A poloriser will add a couple of stops depending on it orientation but
    surely the camera should compensate for this. I.E. less light getting
    through to the sensor etc. Unless you where in manual mode.
    I down loaded two of your pictures and after adjusting in Elements they are
    OK but a little grainy. I had the same trouble a couple of days ago, bright
    sunny day pictures like yours. To prevent bleached out highlights I had
    reduce by one stop compensation. But using levels in Element restored my
    pics.
    I am experimenting how much compensation to use I am going to try 1/3 of a
    stop. Of course how much comensation you use must depend on subject.
    MikeS
    MikeS, Jun 9, 2004
  6. PJC

    PJC Guest

    Hey:

    I have to check the make of the filter. I will do that later, but as
    far as grainy.. I think I had accidentally left the ISO at 800 -
    perhaps that explains why some shots are in good shape that I had
    taken indoors moments before.

    Could the lens have something to do with it, as well? Its a sigma
    28-80 I got years ago for my N70...

    PJC

    PJC, Jun 9, 2004
  7. PJC

    bagal Guest

    <sharp intake of breath>
    how much did the camera cost if you don't mind me asking?

    dB

    bagal, Jun 9, 2004
  8. PJC

    PJC Guest

    Hey all:

    Its a circular filter.

    The camera body was 999.

    Any chances this problem is being caused by the sigma lens? Anyone
    have any experience with the nikon DX lenses?

    PJC

    PJC, Jun 10, 2004
  9. PJC

    MikeS Guest

    "PJC" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all:
    >
    > Its a circular filter.
    >
    > The camera body was 999.
    >
    > Any chances this problem is being caused by the sigma lens? Anyone
    > have any experience with the nikon DX lenses?
    >
    > PJC
    >
    > "bagal" <> wrote in message

    > > <sharp intake of breath>
    > > how much did the camera cost if you don't mind me asking?
    > >
    > > dB
    > >
    > > "MikeS" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "PJC" <> wrote in message

    lens.

    > > > PJC HI,
    > > > A poloriser will add a couple of stops depending on it orientation

    but
    > > > surely the camera should compensate for this. I.E. less light getting
    > > > through to the sensor etc. Unless you where in manual mode.
    > > > I down loaded two of your pictures and after adjusting in Elements

    they
    > > are
    > > > OK but a little grainy. I had the same trouble a couple of days ago,

    > > bright
    > > > sunny day pictures like yours. To prevent bleached out highlights I

    had
    > > > reduce by one stop compensation. But using levels in Element restored

    my
    > > > pics.
    > > > I am experimenting how much compensation to use I am going to try 1/3

    of a
    > > > stop. Of course how much comensation you use must depend on subject.
    > > > MikeS
    > > >

    > > >Dear All,

    Bear in mind some Sigma lenses will need rechiping if they are old. I
    believe Sigma will do it for free.
    MikeS
    MikeS, Jun 10, 2004
  10. PJC

    PJC Guest

    Really? How do you do that?

    I'm fairly set on getting the DX lens for the camera anyway... the 18-70.

    Thanks,

    PJC

    PJC, Jun 10, 2004
  11. No mention is made of Which Sigma 28-80
    If it's a Manual Focus you will have to set the exposure manually, the
    D70's exposure will not work.

    Helge Buddenborg, Jun 16, 2004