D70: Controllable via USB cable and software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Ruf, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Ed Ruf

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:14:23 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.
    >
    >I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
    >and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.
    >
    >Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?

    Nikon Capture will allow you to control the D70 from a PC.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Aug 11, 2005

  2. I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.

    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 12, 2005

  3. Per Ed Ruf:
    >Nikon Capture will allow you to control the D70 from a PC.

    That answers 95% of my question which, now that I think of it, really was
    whether or not the capability was there...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 12, 2005
  4. Ed Ruf

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:47:22 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "(PeteCresswell)"
    <> wrote:

    >Per Ed Ruf:
    >>Nikon Capture will allow you to control the D70 from a PC.

    >That answers 95% of my question which, now that I think of it, really was
    >whether or not the capability was there...

    The protocol for the D70 is totally different than for the Coolpix line.
    Capture down't work on them. I don't think you'll find something that runs
    off a palm.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Ed Ruf

    Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    : I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.

    : I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
    : and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.

    : Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?
    : --
    : PeteCresswell

    Do you have a link or any further info on the above? There are remote ir
    remote emulation programs that you could use to use to take pics using the
    d70. I don't know of anything besides a pc that can control a d70 via usb.

    , Aug 15, 2005
  6. Per :

    >Do you have a link or any further info on the above? There are remote ir
    >remote emulation programs that you could use to use to take pics using the
    >d70. I don't know of anything besides a pc that can control a d70 via usb.

    The Palm Pilot solution for the 990 used tb at http://www.sqlsolutions.com, but
    it looks like the domain is not defunct.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 16, 2005
  7. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >is not defunct.

    sb "..is now defunct.."

    Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

    Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

    Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 16, 2005
  8. Ed Ruf

    lars Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.
    >
    > I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
    > and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.
    >
    > Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?

    As others have mentioned, you can control it with a PC via USB. The
    problem is this protocol involves transferring the pic from the camera
    to PC after each shot, with no option to leave it on the in-camera CF
    card. So even if you reverse engineered the protocol, it wouldn't be
    very practical on a Palm due to horsepower and storage issues.

    Lars

    lars, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Ed Ruf

    Guest

    lars <> wrote:
    : (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    :> I posted this somewhere a week or so ago...but lost track.
    :>
    :> I recall that somebody wrote a program that allows one to control the Nikon 990
    :> and a few others remotely via (I *think*) a Palm Pilot through the USB cable.
    :>
    :> Anybody if this has been done for the D70 cameras?

    : As others have mentioned, you can control it with a PC via USB. The
    : problem is this protocol involves transferring the pic from the camera
    : to PC after each shot, with no option to leave it on the in-camera CF
    : card. So even if you reverse engineered the protocol, it wouldn't be
    : very practical on a Palm due to horsepower and storage issues.

    : Lars

    Do you know if the pic transfer back to the pc is really part of the
    protocol or is it just a function of Nikon Capture? I've been trying to
    trying to find a way for the pic to be recorded on the cf instead of being
    tranfered to the pc. Since the d70 is a usb 1 connection, this is a very
    slow process when shooting raw. There is a linux program similar to
    Capture, but I haven't tried it since I don't have a linux machine and
    don't have the time, currently to learn and install linux.

    , Aug 16, 2005
  10. Ed Ruf

    lars Guest

    wrote:

    > Do you know if the pic transfer back to the pc is really part of the
    > protocol or is it just a function of Nikon Capture? I've been trying to
    > trying to find a way for the pic to be recorded on the cf instead of being
    > tranfered to the pc. Since the d70 is a usb 1 connection, this is a very
    > slow process when shooting raw. There is a linux program similar to
    > Capture, but I haven't tried it since I don't have a linux machine and
    > don't have the time, currently to learn and install linux.

    Well, NC effectively equals the protocol at this time (ie, I would
    consider the transfer of the pic to PC to be part of the protocol). The
    question is, is there another option in the protocol to leave the pic in
    the camera? if there is, I haven't heard of it.

    What's the name of the Linux program? I assume someone would have had to
    do some reverse engineering (ie, protocol decoding/capture) to make such
    a program work. Maybe the author(s) know if there are other options.

    Lars

    lars, Aug 17, 2005
  11. Ed Ruf

    Guest

    lars <> wrote:

    : Well, NC effectively equals the protocol at this time (ie, I would
    : consider the transfer of the pic to PC to be part of the protocol). The
    : question is, is there another option in the protocol to leave the pic in
    : the camera? if there is, I haven't heard of it.

    : What's the name of the Linux program? I assume someone would have had to
    : do some reverse engineering (ie, protocol decoding/capture) to make such
    : a program work. Maybe the author(s) know if there are other options.

    : Lars

    The link is:

    http://ptp.sourceforge.net

    This deals with the general ptp protocol used to communicate with the d70
    and other dslrs. In addition are links to the other sites that discuss
    control of dslrs using linux. There is a link to a site for nikon cameras,
    but it was down, when I tried it today.

    , Aug 17, 2005