    f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
    former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
    there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.
    john_doe_ph_d, Aug 29, 2005

  2. john_doe_ph_d

    frederick Guest

    john_doe_ph_d wrote:
    > Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
    > with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
    > f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
    > former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
    > there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

    Forget about the image quality and you have the following list of
    advantages for the 18-70:
    *wider zoom range
    *faster aperture
    *faster AF speed
    *proper AF-S action (override AF by moving focus ring)
    *internal focus - no rotating from element to annoy you when using
    polariser.
    *metal mount
    *usable MF ring
    Divide the extra cost by each extra feature that might be worthwhile to
    you and make up your mind.
    frederick, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Please explain - does "Forget about the image quality" mean that the
    image quality is comparable?
    john_doe_ph_d, Aug 30, 2005
  4. john_doe_ph_d

    Bob Guest

    In article <1125358072.81225@ftpsrv1>, frederick <>
    wrote:

    > john_doe_ph_d wrote:
    > > Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
    > > with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
    > > f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
    > > former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
    > > there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.
    > >

    > Forget about the image quality and you have the following list of
    > advantages for the 18-70:
    > *wider zoom range
    > *faster aperture
    > *faster AF speed
    > *proper AF-S action (override AF by moving focus ring)
    > *internal focus - no rotating from element to annoy you when using
    > polariser.
    > *metal mount
    > *usable MF ring
    > Divide the extra cost by each extra feature that might be worthwhile to
    > you and make up your mind.

    Most comparisons I've seen say the 18-70 is a 'better' lens. But of
    course it costs more, so thats what you would expect. Its also bigger
    and heavier, so it really depends on what you value the most.
    Bob, Aug 30, 2005
  5. john_doe_ph_d

    Jim Guest

    "john_doe_ph_d" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
    > with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
    > f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
    > former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
    > there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

    It isn't that heavy. Just put a 300mm f2.8 on the camera to find what a
    heavy lens feels like.
    Jim
    Jim, Aug 30, 2005
  6. john_doe_ph_d

    Roy Guest

    > Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
    > with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
    > f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
    > former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
    > there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

    Hi.

    The 18-70 Nikon lens is anything but a heavy-weight, it is quite suitable
    for carrying around all day. It gives a very nicely balanced feel when on
    the Camera, which is probably more important than the actual weight of the
    combination.

    I am considering getting the Nikon 80-400 VR, and that IS a heavy lens.

    Roy G
    Roy, Aug 30, 2005
  7. john_doe_ph_d

    Graybeard Guest

    If weight is a problem, get the Nikon 8800. I just returned from a month in
    China with an 8800 and took about 2000 pictures with it. I love it. The
    lens is stabilized, about 300 mm equivalent, and it has a pivoting LCD
    monitor. A $12 converter ring for the front of the lens allows me to use
    58mm filters, which can remain on the lens when closed.

    And you can buy it for under $600. One BIG drawback - not very good if you
    need a w i d e angle lens. It was a gem on the trip, and much more
    convenient than carrying my old Nikon 35 mm cameras with several heavy
    lenses. True, some of the old lens may be better, but we live in a world of
    compromises.

    Graybeard
    PS: Also carried the old Nikon 4300 in my pocket for backup.
    Graybeard, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Bob <> wrote:

    > Most comparisons I've seen say the 18-70 is a 'better' lens. But of
    > course it costs more, so thats what you would expect. Its also bigger
    > and heavier, so it really depends on what you value the most.

    It may be bigger and heavier than the 18-55mm lens offering, but it is
    by no means a big and/or heavy lens.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 30, 2005
  9. john_doe_ph_d

    RichA Guest

    On 29 Aug 2005 17:59:21 -0700, "john_doe_ph_d"
    <> wrote:

    >Please explain - does "Forget about the image quality" mean that the
    >image quality is comparable?

    Only to Canon fans. To everyone else, the Canon is the nadir of
    lenses. Even Sigma's cheap 18-55 is better. The Nikons are decent
    quality (ED glass helps) and they also make a smaller 18-50(5?) mm
    that is sold with the D50.
    -Rich

    "Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
    never gave us refunds for in the past"
    RichA, Aug 31, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > On 29 Aug 2005 17:59:21 -0700, "john_doe_ph_d"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Please explain - does "Forget about the image quality" mean that the
    > >image quality is comparable?

    > Only to Canon fans. To everyone else, the Canon is the nadir of
    > lenses. Even Sigma's cheap 18-55 is better. The Nikons are decent
    > quality (ED glass helps) and they also make a smaller 18-50(5?) mm
    > that is sold with the D50.

    The 18-70mm Nikon lens is worth the extra money. I bought the D50,
    18-70mm lens, case, extra battery and other extras for a little over
    $1000 from Cameta on eBay. No regrets or complaints and it will focus
    in total darkness unlike the Oly C8080WZ I tried before...

    Mike
    Mike Murphree, Aug 31, 2005