    Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA, I am
    in the UK, any problems?

    Thanks, Ron
    Ron Wood, Jul 26, 2009

  2. Ron Wood wrote:
    > Hi group
    >
    > Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA,
    > I am in the UK, any problems?
    >
    > Thanks, Ron

    Getting the US dealer to honour the warranty might be an issue, and would
    Nikon UK support the camera? Other will probably advise on the seller
    reputation of GetItDigital.

    For saving a few tens of pounds, it's not a route I would take. Remember
    that there may be all sorts of taxes, duties and admin fees to pay when
    the camera arrives in the UK, and then it may not be such a bargain after
    all.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 26, 2009

  3. Ron Wood

    Ron Wood Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:_LUam.60820$...
    > Ron Wood wrote:
    >> Hi group
    >>
    >> Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA,
    >> I am in the UK, any problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Ron

    > Getting the US dealer to honour the warranty might be an issue, and would
    > Nikon UK support the camera? Other will probably advise on the seller
    > reputation of GetItDigital.
    >
    > For saving a few tens of pounds, it's not a route I would take. Remember
    > that there may be all sorts of taxes, duties and admin fees to pay when
    > the camera arrives in the UK, and then it may not be such a bargain after
    > all.
    >
    > David

    Thanks for the tax/vat/duties reminder, I'll check that out.

    Ron.

    Ron Wood, Jul 26, 2009
  4. Ron Wood wrote:
    []
    > Thanks for the tax/vat/duties reminder, I'll check that out.
    >
    > Ron.

    ... and remember that the Post Office or whoever may charge you an extra
    admin fee for collecting any taxes and duties....

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 26, 2009
  5. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >"Ron Wood" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi group
    >>
    >> Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA,
    >> I am in the UK, any problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Ron
    >>

    >People never learn.
    >
    >See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are the
    >typical store house you see in all those places they busted for all kinds
    >of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718 Brooklyn.
    >
    >Store Hours
    >

    >Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >
    >Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >
    >Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >
    >Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.

    ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    sabbath.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 27, 2009
  6. Ron Wood

    J. Clarke Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ron Wood" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi group
    >>>
    >>> Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the
    >>> USA, I am in the UK, any problems?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Ron
    >>>

    >> People never learn.
    >>
    >> See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are
    >> the typical store house you see in all those places they busted for
    >> all kinds of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718
    >> Brooklyn.
    >>
    >> Store Hours
    >>

    >> Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>
    >> Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>
    >> Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >>
    >> Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    > Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    > closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    > in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >
    > ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    > good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    > sabbath.

    As a thumb rule though it's valid--there _is_ an outfit working out of
    Brooklyn that changes its name every time the wind shifts and always has
    very attractive prices but deals in bait and switch, so one is justified in
    being suspicious of any camera store in Brooklyn.
    J. Clarke, Jul 27, 2009
  7. Ron Wood

    Bob Larter Guest

    Harsh Reality wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:52:01 -0400, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ron Wood" <> wrote in

    >>> People never learn.
    >>>
    >>> See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are the
    >>> typical store house you see in all those places they busted for all kinds
    >>> of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718 Brooklyn.
    >>>
    >>> Store Hours
    >>>

    >>> Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    >> Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    >> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    >> in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >>
    >> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >> sabbath.
    >>

    > Since when can you call someone an anti-semite when all those of the jewish
    > culture are the biggest bigots left on earth. This is why B[*SLAP!*]

    Gee, the P&S troll is also an anti-semite - what a surprise.

    Bob Larter, Jul 27, 2009
  8. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:54:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ron Wood" <> wrote in

    >>> People never learn.
    >>>
    >>> See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are
    >>> the typical store house you see in all those places they busted for
    >>> all kinds of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718
    >>> Brooklyn.
    >>>
    >>> Store Hours
    >>>

    >>> Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    >> Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    >> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    >> in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >>
    >> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >> sabbath.

    >As a thumb rule though it's valid--there _is_ an outfit working out of
    >Brooklyn that changes its name every time the wind shifts and always has
    >very attractive prices but deals in bait and switch, so one is justified in
    >being suspicious of any camera store in Brooklyn.

    I would check *any* online deal against ResellerRatings. Having a
    non-Brooklyn store address doesn't ensure legitimacy.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 27, 2009
  9. Ron Wood

    Warren Block Guest

    tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>"Ron Wood" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi group
    >>>
    >>> Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA,
    >>> I am in the UK, any problems?

    [snip]

    > ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    > good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    > sabbath.

    That's 9.62 out of 10 based on only 127 reviews. Actually, that number
    dropped from 135 while I was reading them.

    It's worth scanning through those reviews. They mention "confirmation"
    phone calls and upselling, gray market, and kits divided up to sell
    separately. Lots of them mention accessories like flashes and remotes
    that didn't work.

    Just for comparison, B&H's 9.73 is based on more than 8,000 reviews.

    Warren Block, Jul 27, 2009
  10. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    On 27 Jul 2009 18:44:17 GMT, Warren Block <> wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>>"Ron Wood" <> wrote in

    >[snip]
    >
    >> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >> sabbath.

    >That's 9.62 out of 10 based on only 127 reviews. Actually, that number
    >dropped from 135 while I was reading them.
    >
    >It's worth scanning through those reviews. They mention "confirmation"
    >phone calls and upselling, gray market, and kits divided up to sell
    >separately. Lots of them mention accessories like flashes and remotes
    >that didn't work.
    >
    >Just for comparison, B&H's 9.73 is based on more than 8,000 reviews.

    I don't mind confirmation calls and upselling. No company today can
    afford to leave any sales on the table. If they can sell an extra
    filter, battery, flash, case, etc, that profit can make a difference
    in their pricing structure.

    B&H sells gray market as well as US distribution network items. They
    let you know if an item is gray market, though.

    The point of my post was that just because the store has Jewish
    ownership or management, and is located in Brooklyn, it is not a scam
    operation as our bigoted poster, Rich, implied.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 28, 2009
  11. Ron Wood

    Art Deco Guest

    On Jul 27, 8:03 am, Bob Larter <> wrote:
    > Harsh Reality wrote:
    > > On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:52:01 -0400, tony cooper
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> Little anti-semitic, are you?  Based on the facts that the store is
    > >> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    > >> in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.

    > >> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10.  Not quite as
    > >> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    > >> sabbath.

    > > Since when can you call someone an anti-semite when all those of the jewish
    > > culture are the biggest bigots left on earth. This is why B[*SLAP!*]

    > Gee, the P&S troll is also an anti-semite - what a surprise.
    > --
    > Lionel Lauer

    Gee, the AUK troll, Lionel Lauer, is also a Gay-Rod - what a surprise.
    --
    Art Deco
    Art Deco, Jul 28, 2009
  12. Ron Wood

    nick c Guest

    Harsh Reality wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:52:01 -0400, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ron Wood" <> wrote in

    >>> People never learn.
    >>>
    >>> See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are the
    >>> typical store house you see in all those places they busted for all kinds
    >>> of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718 Brooklyn.
    >>>
    >>> Store Hours
    >>>

    >>> Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >>>
    >>> Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    >> Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    >> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    >> in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >>
    >> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >> sabbath.
    >>

    > Since when can you call someone an anti-semite when all those of the jewish
    > culture are the biggest bigots left on earth. This is why B&H had to pay
    > out millions in an anti-discrimination lawsuit. Cut the jewish-guilt
    > manipulation crap, it's never worked on me. They don't even want their
    > children marrying non-jews. What would you think of a parent that doesn't
    > want their white child marrying a black person they were in love with or
    > vice-versa. Immediately you think "low life bigots". Why is the jewish
    > bigotry always excusable but everyone else is an anti-semite when they give
    > back the very same thing that all jews dish out since the beginning of
    > their culture.
    >
    > Quit being a jewish-guilt-manipulated hypocrite. That's how they manage to
    > keep this crap of theirs going all these centuries. Otherwise nobody would
    > give one damn about their pile-of-rocks back home.

    There is much I can say to offer as a rebuttal but the word that
    readily comes to mind that says it all is ... nonsense.
    nick c, Jul 29, 2009
  13. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:46:59 -0500, John Simms <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ron Wood" <> wrote in

    >>>People never learn.
    >>>
    >>>See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are
    >>>the typical store house you see in all those places they busted for
    >>>all kinds of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718
    >>>Brooklyn.
    >>>
    >>>Store Hours
    >>>

    >>>Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>>Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >>>
    >>>Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >>>
    >>>Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    >> Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    >> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    >> in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >>
    >> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >> sabbath.
    >>

    >Fact was, all the stores busted by New York (and soon to be busted by
    >Texas) had those same hours under their contact info. I guess they forgot
    >the "thou shalt not steal" part of the Commandments? Kind of odd for
    >people proclaiming an adherence to the bible. Avoiding stores with 718
    >area codes with those hours isn't anti-semitism, it's just common sense.

    It's utter foolishness. Rating a store based on their area code or
    their hours of operation is ridiculous.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2009
  14. On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:01:44 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:46:59 -0500, John Simms <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>tony cooper <> wrote in

    >>> Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    >>> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    >>> in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >>>
    >>> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >>> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >>> sabbath.
    >>>

    >>Fact was, all the stores busted by New York (and soon to be busted by
    >>Texas) had those same hours under their contact info. I guess they forgot
    >>the "thou shalt not steal" part of the Commandments? Kind of odd for
    >>people proclaiming an adherence to the bible. Avoiding stores with 718
    >>area codes with those hours isn't anti-semitism, it's just common sense.

    >It's utter foolishness. Rating a store based on their area code or
    >their hours of operation is ridiculous.

    It's called profiling. It helps to narrow them down and make them easier to
    spot by text only, the only "face" that you see of any business on the
    internet. A rare one or two good ones might be wrongly ostracized by
    profiling, but it's better to not support a good one or two if you have to
    also support 200 intentionally scamming dealers. Those that do not want to,
    in any way, be associated with the scammers would alter their hours of
    operation to distance themselves from the scammers. If they can't, too bad,
    find another way to make money.

    Profiling can be a good thing. Just as I would now be leery of any advice
    posted by anyone with the text-name of "tony cooper" on the internet.
    Seeing as how this author calling itself "tony cooper" has never uttered
    anything helpful nor intelligent for years, others with that name will be
    also suspect until they've proved themselves different, or used a different
    online name. Then they will be judged anew, until found to be just as
    useless.

    "The belief of 'thou shalt not judge' was a brilliant psychological war
    ploy invented by christians. They taught it to your Pagan ancestors so they
    wouldn't judge christians as christians judged them to death. Destroying
    your own ancestral heritage, which you now no doubt hypocritically support.
    In short, if you don't judge -- you die. People who claim to not judge are
    hypocrites. They judge 24 hours a day or they wouldn't be alive."
    Ghett A. Kleu, Aug 11, 2009
  15. Ron Wood

    J. Clarke Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:46:59 -0500, John Simms <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> tony cooper <> wrote in

    >>> Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    >>> closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number
    >>> is in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    >>>
    >>> ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    >>> good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    >>> sabbath.
    >>>

    >> Fact was, all the stores busted by New York (and soon to be busted by
    >> Texas) had those same hours under their contact info. I guess they
    >> forgot the "thou shalt not steal" part of the Commandments? Kind of
    >> odd for people proclaiming an adherence to the bible. Avoiding
    >> stores with 718 area codes with those hours isn't anti-semitism,
    >> it's just common sense.

    > It's utter foolishness. Rating a store based on their area code or
    > their hours of operation is ridiculous.

    Except when it's a camera store in Brooklyn.

    Why do you keep arguing this point? When it's known that a scam artist
    works a particular kind of scam out of a particular area and keeps
    particular hours then it seems to me that only a fool argues that one should
    _not_ be suspicious of anyone who works the same hours from the same area
    and selling the same kind of goods.
    J. Clarke, Aug 11, 2009
  16. "Rich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Ron Wood" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi group
    > >
    > > Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA,
    > > I am in the UK, any problems?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Ron
    > >

    > People never learn.
    >
    > See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are the
    > typical store house you see in all those places they busted for all kinds
    > of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718 Brooklyn.
    >
    > Store Hours
    >

    > Sunday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >
    > Monday-Thursday: 10AM-7PM EDT
    >
    > Friday: 10AM-2PM EDT
    >
    > Saturday: 1PM-6PM EDT

    Sure thing moron. If you're going to run an internet fraud the first thing
    you do is open a bricks and mortar store in a big city with plenty of transport
    links and keep regular opening hours.

    You're too fucking dumb to even make a thief.

    enter your name here
    enter your name here, Aug 13, 2009
  17. Ron Wood

    John Turco Guest

    John Simms wrote:

    > tony cooper <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:14:25 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > >>See these store hours? Avoid that place like the PLAGUE: These are
    > >>the typical store house you see in all those places they busted for
    > >>all kinds of fraud. Note the area code of the phone number: 718
    > >>Brooklyn.

    <edited>

    > > Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    > > closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    > > in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.
    > >
    > > ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    > > good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    > > sabbath.

    > Fact was, all the stores busted by New York (and soon to be busted by
    > Texas) had those same hours under their contact info. I guess they forgot
    > the "thou shalt not steal" part of the Commandments? Kind of odd for
    > people proclaiming an adherence to the bible. Avoiding stores with 718
    > area codes with those hours isn't anti-semitism, it's just common sense.
    > The people who ran those scam shops are no better than all those southern
    > bible-thumping Baptist ministers who ripped off thousands of people while
    > spouting the Scriptures.

    Hello, John:

    Well said! No one (individual or group) should be allowed to hide behind
    religion, in order to escape justice.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>