    while taking pictures.
    and i believe that if you use one of the IR remotes, then you have to be in
    front of the camera.

    bongo, Nov 10, 2006

  2. bongo

    Pete D Guest

    " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    news:0I35h.21307$...
    > D50 Nikon bulb mode
    >
    > Anyone here, know of a way of useing the bulb mode for shots longer than
    > 30 seconds?
    > i know you can hold down the button for upto 30 minutes, ( not that i want
    > to use 30 minutes :) )
    >
    > i would like a way to take shots for 2 or 3 minutes, but since the button
    > has to be held down, this is not ideal for long exposures, to much
    > movement while taking pictures.
    > and i believe that if you use one of the IR remotes, then you have to be
    > in front of the camera.

    Does the D50 not have a remote shutter release connection? I know they left
    it off the D70 but put it back on the D70s, stupid, stupid Nikon!

    Pete D, Nov 10, 2006

  3. " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    > D50 Nikon bulb mode
    >
    > Anyone here, know of a way of useing the bulb mode for shots longer than
    > 30 seconds?
    > i know you can hold down the button for upto 30 minutes, ( not that i want
    > to use 30 minutes :) )
    >
    > i would like a way to take shots for 2 or 3 minutes, but since the button
    > has to be held down, this is not ideal for long exposures, to much
    > movement while taking pictures.
    > and i believe that if you use one of the IR remotes, then you have to be
    > in front of the camera.

    Remote control.

    Press once to trip, press again to release. It works best from the front but
    will often work well from the side or even the back of the camera. If its a
    really long exposure, you could get away with tripping it from the front,
    pulling the arm away quickly.

    You can also set it to trip on time delay with the remote.

    Works great for me.

    r.

    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 10, 2006
  4. bongo

    bongo Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    >> D50 Nikon bulb mode
    >>
    >> Anyone here, know of a way of useing the bulb mode for shots longer than
    >> 30 seconds?
    >> i know you can hold down the button for upto 30 minutes, ( not that i
    >> want to use 30 minutes :) )
    >>
    >> i would like a way to take shots for 2 or 3 minutes, but since the button
    >> has to be held down, this is not ideal for long exposures, to much
    >> movement while taking pictures.
    >> and i believe that if you use one of the IR remotes, then you have to be
    >> in front of the camera.

    > Does the D50 not have a remote shutter release connection? I know they
    > left it off the D70 but put it back on the D70s, stupid, stupid Nikon!

    they took it away from the D50 :(

    i did think of makeing one that fits to the thread for the tripod, but then
    thought that it might wear out the button after a while, not something i
    would like to do.

    bongo, Nov 10, 2006
  5. bongo

    bongo Guest

    "Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" <> wrote in message

    > " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    >> D50 Nikon bulb mode
    >>
    >> Anyone here, know of a way of useing the bulb mode for shots longer than
    >> 30 seconds?
    >> i know you can hold down the button for upto 30 minutes, ( not that i
    >> want to use 30 minutes :) )
    >>
    >> i would like a way to take shots for 2 or 3 minutes, but since the button
    >> has to be held down, this is not ideal for long exposures, to much
    >> movement while taking pictures.
    >> and i believe that if you use one of the IR remotes, then you have to be
    >> in front of the camera.
    >>

    > Remote control.
    >
    > Press once to trip, press again to release. It works best from the front
    > but will often work well from the side or even the back of the camera. If
    > its a really long exposure, you could get away with tripping it from the
    > front, pulling the arm away quickly.
    >
    > You can also set it to trip on time delay with the remote.
    >
    > Works great for me.
    >
    > r.

    do you have the nikon remote or a third party remote?
    i ask this because i can remember a thread on a news-group stating that the
    nikon IR remote, will not allow more than 30sec shutter times, even if the
    camera is in BULB mode.

    bongo, Nov 10, 2006
  6. bongo

    George K Guest

    No, but you can use a fiber optic cable to direct the IR beam from the
    remote control to the sensor. You can also use a mirror, or even a
    white card, to reflect the IR beam to the sensor. The D80 also supports
    a wired remote. Harbortronics, http://www.harbortronics.com/index.htm,
    will modify a D70, http://www.harbortronics.com/D70_Mod.pdf, to use a
    wired remote, and they may also be able to modify a D50.

    George K, Nov 10, 2006
  7. " bongo" <_no> wrote in message

    > "Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    >>> D50 Nikon bulb mode
    >>>
    >>> Anyone here, know of a way of useing the bulb mode for shots longer than
    >>> 30 seconds?
    >>> i know you can hold down the button for upto 30 minutes, ( not that i
    >>> want to use 30 minutes :) )
    >>>
    >>> i would like a way to take shots for 2 or 3 minutes, but since the
    >>> button has to be held down, this is not ideal for long exposures, to
    >>> much movement while taking pictures.
    >>> and i believe that if you use one of the IR remotes, then you have to be
    >>> in front of the camera.
    >>>

    >> Remote control.
    >>
    >> Press once to trip, press again to release. It works best from the front
    >> but will often work well from the side or even the back of the camera. If
    >> its a really long exposure, you could get away with tripping it from the
    >> front, pulling the arm away quickly.
    >>
    >> You can also set it to trip on time delay with the remote.
    >>
    >> Works great for me.
    >>
    >> r.
    >>

    > do you have the nikon remote or a third party remote?
    > i ask this because i can remember a thread on a news-group stating that
    > the nikon IR remote, will not allow more than 30sec shutter times, even if
    > the camera is in BULB mode.

    I have the Nikon Remote right here (points to desk) in front of me. I have
    done this before, I am not just pulling this out of my ass, like so much of
    what is offered here.

    But, just to make sure .....

    Ok, camera has lens off, so I can see the mirror if/when it flips down.
    Remote mode, manual mode. Kitchen timer set for 5 minutes.

    Press remote, mirror flips up .... 5 minutes later, mirror is still up.

    I win.

    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 10, 2006
  8. bongo

    > " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> " bongo" <_no> wrote in message

    >>> Remote control.
    >>>
    >>> Press once to trip, press again to release. It works best from the front
    >>> but will often work well from the side or even the back of the camera.
    >>> If its a really long exposure, you could get away with tripping it from
    >>> the front, pulling the arm away quickly.
    >>>
    >>> You can also set it to trip on time delay with the remote.
    >>>
    >>> Works great for me.
    >>>
    >>> r.
    >>>

    >> do you have the nikon remote or a third party remote?
    >> i ask this because i can remember a thread on a news-group stating that
    >> the nikon IR remote, will not allow more than 30sec shutter times, even
    >> if the camera is in BULB mode.
    >>

    > I have the Nikon Remote right here (points to desk) in front of me. I have
    > done this before, I am not just pulling this out of my ass, like so much
    > of what is offered here.
    >
    > But, just to make sure .....
    >
    > Ok, camera has lens off, so I can see the mirror if/when it flips down.
    > Remote mode, manual mode. Kitchen timer set for 5 minutes.
    >
    > Press remote, mirror flips up .... 5 minutes later, mirror is still up.
    >
    > I win.

    but did the mirror go down, once the button was pressed on the remote for
    the second time?

    bongo, Nov 10, 2006
  9. bongo

    George K Guest

    Since the D50 is an electronically powered camera, the maximum bulb
    exposure is at about 30 minutes, see page 46 of the D50 manual. You
    will need a fully charged battery.

    If one uses the IR remote to trigger, the maximum on time for the
    remote will wait for a signal is 15 minutes, regardless of the power
    source. Once the shutter has been triggered by the IR remote, the IR
    receiver will remain active until the IR remote or shutter release is
    used to end the bulb exposure and then the IR remote will remain active
    for a maximum of 15 minutes. See page 100 of the D50 manual. This is
    independent of the type of remote used to trigger the camera.

    George K, Nov 10, 2006
  10. " bongo" <_no> wrote in message

    > "Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" <> wrote in message

    >>> do you have the nikon remote or a third party remote?
    >>> i ask this because i can remember a thread on a news-group stating that
    >>> the nikon IR remote, will not allow more than 30sec shutter times, even
    >>> if the camera is in BULB mode.
    >>>

    >> I have the Nikon Remote right here (points to desk) in front of me. I
    >> have done this before, I am not just pulling this out of my ass, like so
    >> much of what is offered here.
    >>
    >> But, just to make sure .....
    >>
    >> Ok, camera has lens off, so I can see the mirror if/when it flips down.
    >> Remote mode, manual mode. Kitchen timer set for 5 minutes.
    >>
    >> Press remote, mirror flips up .... 5 minutes later, mirror is still up.
    >>
    >> I win.
    >>

    > but did the mirror go down, once the button was pressed on the remote for
    > the second time?

    I said "5 minutes later, mirror is still up", that means the mirror was
    still up. Press the remote a second time and the mirror goes down, same as I
    said earlier "Press once to trip, press again to release".

    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 10, 2006
  11. You actually read the manual !?! Wow.

    I would like it if there was a way to disable that 15 minute timeout. Maybe
    in the next firmware revision.

    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 10, 2006
  12. bongo

    George K Guest

    Yes, I read faster than my computer. Also the search feature of Acrobat
    finds infomation better than Nikon indexes their documents.

    George K, Nov 10, 2006
  13. On 10 Nov 2006 14:57:40 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "George K"
    <> wrote:

    >Yes, I read faster than my computer. Also the search feature of Acrobat
    >finds infomation better than Nikon indexes their documents.

    Glad to see someone else has realized word searches in the electronic
    version of the manual is the hot ticket.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 10, 2006