D40x and these lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aaronfude@gmail.com, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Jul 1, 2007

  2. nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    > Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/
    > 541535860.htm)
    > Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-
    > Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1/103-7591966-0797452?
    > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183244489&sr=8-1)

    yes to both. any lens that is not nikon afs or sigma hsm will require
    manual focus. however, the autofocus indicator in the viewfinder will
    still work, as will the exposure meter.

    nospam, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jun 30, 7:18 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    > > Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/
    > > 541535860.htm)
    > > Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-
    > > Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1/103-7591966-0797452?
    > > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183244489&sr=8-1)

    > yes to both. any lens that is not nikon afs or sigma hsm will require
    > manual focus. however, the autofocus indicator in the viewfinder will
    > still work, as will the exposure meter.

    That means that I'll know when it's in focus?

    , Jul 1, 2007
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:05:54 -0700, wrote:

    >> yes to both. any lens that is not nikon afs or sigma hsm will require
    >> manual focus. however, the autofocus indicator in the viewfinder will
    >> still work, as will the exposure meter.

    > That means that I'll know when it's in focus?

    Sure. You got a 18-55mm kit lens with your D40x, right? I assume
    that the lens has a M/A-M switch on it? The 50mm lenses probably
    are like my 60mm lens which has an M-A switch. See how well or
    poorly you're able to focus the kit lens manually. I have the
    similar D50 and it focuses easily and accurately even when powered
    off. :) With their wider apertures and potentially shallower DOF,
    the 50mm lenses should be even easier to focus manually.

    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Jul 1, 1:12 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    > Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/
    > 541535860.htm)
    > Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (http://Nowww.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-
    > Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1/103-7591966-0797452?
    > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183244489&sr=8-1)
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Aaron

    Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x. The only difference
    between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    motor. Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.
    The owner's manual for your camera has a listing of what lenses will
    and will not focus with your camera.

    , Jul 1, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > On Jul 1, 1:12 am, wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    >> Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/
    >> 541535860.htm)
    >> Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor
    >> (http://Nowww.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-
    >> Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1/103-7591966-0797452?
    >> ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183244489&sr=8-1)
    >> Thank you!
    >>
    >> Aaron

    > Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x. The only difference
    > between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    > motor. Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.
    > The owner's manual for your camera has a listing of what lenses will
    > and will not focus with your camera.

    According to the Ken Rockwell review, the D40/D40X will only autofocus with
    the AF-S lenses. He has been known to make mistakes, but you should check
    this out before buying.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

    Dennis Pogson, Jul 1, 2007
  7. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 06:58:48 -0000, wrote:

    > Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x. The only difference
    > between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    > motor. Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.
    > The owner's manual for your camera has a listing of what lenses will
    > and will not focus with your camera.

    I believe that you're mistaken. The "silent wave" motors are
    built into the AF-S lenses. The AF lenses use the camera's motor
    for focusing and since the D40/D40x no longer have body motors . . .

    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2007
  8. nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x. The only difference
    > between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    > motor. Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.
    > The owner's manual for your camera has a listing of what lenses will
    > and will not focus with your camera.

    wrong.

    the d40/d40x do not have an internal focus motor and unless the lens
    has an afs motor, it will not autofocus.

    here's a list of what will autofocus on the d40/d40x:
    <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=21699045>

    nospam, Jul 1, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > On Jul 1, 1:12 am, wrote:
    >> I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    >> Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor
    >> Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor

    > Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x.

    You may be in for a surprise.

    > The only difference
    > between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    > motor.

    Right. And the plain AF lenses use the motor that is build-in the camera.
    And the D40[x] doesn't have that build-in focussing motor in the camera.

    > Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.

    With the above combination the "motor" to do the focussing will consist of
    skin, bones, and muscles.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 1, 2007
  10. Neil H. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 30, 7:18 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > >
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    > > > Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/
    > > > 541535860.htm)
    > > > Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-
    > > > Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1/103-7591966-0797452?
    > > > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183244489&sr=8-1)

    > > yes to both. any lens that is not nikon afs or sigma hsm will require
    > > manual focus. however, the autofocus indicator in the viewfinder will
    > > still work, as will the exposure meter.

    > That means that I'll know when it's in focus?

    Right. I have a D40, and the focus indicator in the bottom left of the
    viewfinder works perfectly with my 50mm f/1.8D Nikkor and other lenses that
    don't have the autofocus motor built into the lens itself, such as my 10.5mm
    Fisheye-Nikkor, 12-24mm Tokina and 100mm Tokina Macro Pro D. All are easy to
    focus manually on the D40, just a matter of getting used to checking the
    focus indicator if you're uncertain about the visual appearance of focus.

    You can also buy a Katz Eye split prism focusing screen for the D40/D40x,
    which will convert your viewfinder into the old manual focusing type..
    http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

    These are very popular, but personally I don't feel the need for one.

    Neil

    Neil H., Jul 1, 2007
  11. Neil H. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 1, 1:12 am, wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    > > Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/
    > > 541535860.htm)
    > > Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (http://Nowww.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-
    > > Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1/103-7591966-0797452?
    > > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183244489&sr=8-1)
    > > Thank you!
    > >
    > > Aaron

    > Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x.

    That is not true. The OP is correct: he will have to focus manually with
    those lenses.

    > The only difference
    > between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    > motor. Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.

    No. AF lenses that are *not* AF-S (or some others with autofocus motor in
    the lens) require the autofocus motor in the camera body, which the D40 and
    D40x do not have. Those lenses have to be focused manually on the D40/D40x
    cameras.

    Neil

    Neil H., Jul 1, 2007
  12. Guest

    On Jul 1, 1:16 pm, "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Jul 1, 1:12 am, wrote:
    > >> I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:
    > >> Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor
    > >> Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor

    > > Both lenses will auto focus with the D40x.

    > You may be in for a surprise.
    >
    > > The only difference
    > > between AF and AF-S lenses are that the S lenses use a "silent wave"
    > > motor.

    > Right. And the plain AF lenses use the motor that is build-in the camera.
    > And the D40[x] doesn't have that build-in focussing motor in the camera.
    >
    > > Any Nikon AF lens will focus automatically with your camera.

    > With the above combination the "motor" to do the focussing will consist of
    > skin, bones, and muscles.
    >
    > jue

    Wow. What an idiotic statement I made. I just thought it was common
    sense that AF lenses would work with any relatively new Nikon DSLR.
    Bad assumption. Thanks for the correction, and I know what Nikon not
    to buy, for sure!

    , Jul 1, 2007
  13. Neil H. Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:05:54 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >> yes to both. any lens that is not nikon afs or sigma hsm will require
    > >> manual focus. however, the autofocus indicator in the viewfinder will
    > >> still work, as will the exposure meter.

    > > That means that I'll know when it's in focus?

    > Sure. You got a 18-55mm kit lens with your D40x, right? I assume
    > that the lens has a M/A-M switch on it? The 50mm lenses probably
    > are like my 60mm lens which has an M-A switch.

    That's what the 18-55mm kit lens has too, an A-M switch -- not M/A-M. The
    companion 55-200mm lens is the same. I presume not being AF-S means they
    also had to forgo the manual override.

    The 50mm lenses do not have either type of switch -- it's done at the camera
    body only.

    Neil

    Neil H., Jul 1, 2007
  14. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a d40x. Will I have to focus manually with these lenses:

    Doesn't the fine manual tell you the answer to these questions?
    Jim

    Jim, Jul 1, 2007
  15. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:36:27 -0500, Neil H. wrote:

    >> Sure. You got a 18-55mm kit lens with your D40x, right? I assume
    >> that the lens has a M/A-M switch on it? The 50mm lenses probably
    >> are like my 60mm lens which has an M-A switch.

    > That's what the 18-55mm kit lens has too, an A-M switch -- not M/A-M. The
    > companion 55-200mm lens is the same. I presume not being AF-S means they
    > also had to forgo the manual override.
    >
    > The 50mm lenses do not have either type of switch -- it's done at the camera
    > body only.

    Thanks. Now that I think of it, my 45 year old 58mm f/1.4 Nikkor
    (wish I still had it) also had no A-M switch. I wonder if it would
    be compatible Nikon's DSLRs? Nobody spoke of bokeh way back then,
    but I fondly remember the Nikon F viewfinder's bright image, with
    background objects very nicely out of focus.

    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2007
  16. Neil H. Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:36:27 -0500, Neil H. wrote:
    >
    > >> Sure. You got a 18-55mm kit lens with your D40x, right? I assume
    > >> that the lens has a M/A-M switch on it? The 50mm lenses probably
    > >> are like my 60mm lens which has an M-A switch.

    > > That's what the 18-55mm kit lens has too, an A-M switch -- not M/A-M.

    The
    > > companion 55-200mm lens is the same. I presume not being AF-S means they
    > > also had to forgo the manual override.
    > >
    > > The 50mm lenses do not have either type of switch -- it's done at the

    camera
    > > body only.

    > Thanks. Now that I think of it, my 45 year old 58mm f/1.4 Nikkor
    > (wish I still had it) also had no A-M switch.

    Right. Hard to imagine what a 45-year-old Nikkor (or any other lens of that
    vintage for that matter) would do with an A-M switch though. ;-)

    > I wonder if it would
    > be compatible Nikon's DSLRs?

    You bet! Though probably not the metering. The basic mount itself is still
    the same as when the first Nikon F rolled off the assembly line in 1959.
    (And what other make can say that?) I understand that most old Nikon SLR
    lenses will still work with the DSLRs, the only exceptions I've heard of
    being those oddballs that extended so far back into the body that the mirror
    had to be locked up before putting the lens on.

    > Nobody spoke of bokeh way back then,

    Praise be! If there's one thing I'm really tired of hearing about, that's
    the one. Bokeh schmokeh.

    > but I fondly remember the Nikon F viewfinder's bright image, with
    > background objects very nicely out of focus.

    And with the improved viewfinder screens of today, it should be even better.

    Neil

    Neil H., Jul 1, 2007
  17. Neil H. wrote:
    > "ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    []
    >> Thanks. Now that I think of it, my 45 year old 58mm f/1.4 Nikkor
    >> (wish I still had it) also had no A-M switch.

    []
    >> but I fondly remember the Nikon F viewfinder's bright image, with
    >> background objects very nicely out of focus.

    > And with the improved viewfinder screens of today, it should be even
    > better.
    >
    > Neil

    Improved? How?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 1, 2007
  18. "Neil H." <> wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >Right. I have a D40, and the focus indicator in the bottom left of the
    >viewfinder works perfectly with my 50mm f/1.8D Nikkor and other lenses that
    >don't have the autofocus motor built into the lens itself, such as my 10.5mm
    >Fisheye-Nikkor, 12-24mm Tokina and 100mm Tokina Macro Pro D. All are easy to
    >focus manually on the D40, just a matter of getting used to checking the
    >focus indicator if you're uncertain about the visual appearance of focus.
    >
    >You can also buy a Katz Eye split prism focusing screen for the D40/D40x,
    >which will convert your viewfinder into the old manual focusing type..
    >http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html
    >
    >These are very popular, but personally I don't feel the need for one.

    That is an interesting point, but I'm not sure the total
    significance is clear enough.

    First, the lenses themselves are not designed to be
    manually focused. AF lenses tend to have a shorter
    mechanical range of movement, which allows faster
    focusing with AF, but is more difficult when focusing
    manually. Some of them have focusing rings that are
    barely usable too. (Nothing but using AF is going to
    help with those effects.)

    Second, the camera is designed for AF and as noted lacks
    the old style split-prism/micro-prism focusing aids, but
    does have the electronic indicators which in some
    situations might even be better. But...

    I have a Katz Eye focusing screen on my D2x, and I use a
    number of MF lenses. I also just absolutely *love*
    autofocus! All of these things have their place...

    I wouldn't even think of trying to photograph kids
    (which I do a lot of) today without an autofocus lense.
    They just don't hold still long enough to do manual
    focus! On the other hand I don't bother using AF for
    photomacrography at all.

    And in between those extremes, I've discovered that
    split-prism MF focusing is, for me, much easier than
    using the AF indicators at any time when my attention
    should be on the viewfinder image. Hence with scenes
    that are likely to change (even if not as quickly as rug
    rats can move), for me at least it is very distracting
    to have to look at the AF indicator and then refocus on
    the viewfinder image. I really like the split-image in
    the center of the viewfinder image under those
    circumstances. On the other hand, when I'm trying to
    get critical focus on some object in a very stationary
    setup, the AF indicator is just as often easier to use.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jul 1, 2007
  19. In article <W5Shi.15352$>, David J
    Taylor <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote:

    > Improved? How?

    They're brighter, and... and... Well, they're brighter. I note
    carefully you didn't ask what's WRONG with current screens.

    Scott Schuckert, Jul 2, 2007
  20. Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <W5Shi.15352$>, David J
    > Taylor <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Improved? How?

    > They're brighter, and... and... Well, they're brighter. I note
    > carefully you didn't ask what's WRONG with current screens.

    I wanted to know how they were improved.

    Comparing the current screens (on both Nikon and Canon DSLRs) they seem a
    lot darker to me than on my Nikon F3 of years ago, and lack the focussing
    aids like split image and microprism. That doesn't seem like an
    improvement to me. The brightness may be partially related to the use of
    the small-aperture (f/5.6) zooms rather than the f/1.8 fixed focus lenses
    I used to use.

    I was interested to see that the Nikon D40 viewfinder was just noticeable
    brighter than the Canon equivalent.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 2, 2007