    difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?

    Thanks
    Matt

    Matt Jones, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Matt Jones

    iggie Guest

    iggie, Dec 13, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Matt Jones <> wrote:

    > If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS, and
    > process the results in the same photo editing software, would there be any
    > difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Matt

    No difference in resolution- Heck there's no difference in resolution
    for the given native size of a D80 and a D70. Now if you down sample the
    D80 file it will be sharper but not at the native 12x8 using the same
    lens. There may be less noise in your D40 ,...as the D80 does appear to
    have less noise at a given ISO. Does the D40 go down to 100 ISO? The d70
    only does 200 ISO.....so the 100 ISO may be less noisy also. Less noise
    can be a slightly better image if your sharpening the file before
    printing. As for color accuracy,....that is rather open ended.
    --
    George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

    Gregory Blank, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Matt Jones

    Rich Guest

    Matt Jones wrote:
    > If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS, and
    > process the results in the same photo editing software, would there be any
    > difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Matt

    Only difference is one camera was made for humans, the other for dwarfs.

    Rich, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Matt Jones

    Bill Guest

    "Matt Jones" <> wrote in message
    > If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS,
    > and
    > process the results in the same photo editing software, would there
    > be any
    > difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?

    I haven't seen any tests which show that yet, but it's possible.

    The D50 produces less noisy images compared to the D70, but the D50 is
    known to be slightly less sharp when shooting RAW. We don't yet know
    if the D40 has the same sensor as the D50 or if it's similar but yet
    another slightly different design.

    Note that while the D50 and D70 are both 6mp models, their sensors are
    not identical. They have different AA filters (which contributes to
    sharpness) and in-camera processing is also different. I wouldn't be
    surprised if the D40 has the same sensor as the D50, but it may not.

    --
    Happy Holidays!

    Bill, Dec 14, 2006