D300 Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nospam, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. Nospam

    Nospam Guest

    Hi All,

    could someone explain to me in SIMPLE terms, what Nikon mean when they
    say the D300 has an ISO of 100ASA equivalent!

    Is it really an ISO of 100, is it as good? Better?

    Does it produce less / more noise?

    Why don't they just say it has an ISO range of 100 - 3200?

    Nikon Spec. D300
    ==============
    Sensitivity
    ISO 200 to 3200 in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV with additional settings of
    approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 1 EV (ISO 100 equivalent) under ISO 200 and
    approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 1 EV (ISO 6400 equivalent) over ISO 320

    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Jan 14, 2008

  2. Nospam

    Paul Furman Guest

    Nospam wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > could someone explain to me in SIMPLE terms, what Nikon mean when they
    > say the D300 has an ISO of 100ASA equivalent!
    >
    > Is it really an ISO of 100, is it as good? Better?

    It's some kind of pushed/faked low ISO and I can't imagine how they do
    that: somehow throw out some of the charge??? It's supposed to be a
    little less contrasty & less dynamic range but maybe even less noise
    than the D200's ISO 100. More convenient than putting a neutral density
    filter on I suppose if you need a longer exposure.

    Paul Furman, Jan 14, 2008

  3. Nospam

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Nospam wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> could someone explain to me in SIMPLE terms, what Nikon mean when they
    >> say the D300 has an ISO of 100ASA equivalent!
    >>
    >> Is it really an ISO of 100, is it as good? Better?

    > It's some kind of pushed/faked low ISO and I can't imagine how they do
    > that: somehow throw out some of the charge???

    Either they turn it down after overexposing a stop (not practical
    because of blown highlight problems though maybe for 1 stop those can be
    recovered somewhat) or there is some way to filter the light coming in
    which seems unlikely but that would work perfectly if possible.

    Paul Furman, Jan 15, 2008