    Sheila Guest

    Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.
    Sheila, Jun 28, 2008

  2. Sheila

    nospam Guest

    In article <Shi9k.6105$>, Sheila
    <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    > raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    camera raw includes a dng converter which can convert the d300 raws to
    dng, which can then be opened by cs2. other than that, you'll need to
    get cs3 or elements.
    nospam, Jun 28, 2008

  3. Sheila

    Paul Furman Guest

    Sheila wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    > raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    Glossary first:
    ACR = Adobe Camera Raw, PS/CS's raw converter plugin
    DNG = Digital NeGative open raw format

    Use Adobe DNG converter which comes in the ACR converter download as a
    second file. Mix & match: you probably need the latest DNG thing from
    ACR for CS3 and an older ACR thing which is compatible with CS2.

    I do this for a D200 on CS1 & delete the NEFs, saving the DNGs. The only
    thing you lose is the ability to use Nikon's converter. Camera companies
    aren't software companies so that's not a big loss though some say their
    converter performs better it still stinks from a user's standpoint.
    Don't encourage them. All raw converters but the camera manufacturer's
    will work on DNG.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 28, 2008
  4. Sheila

    N Guest

    "Sheila" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    > raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.
    N, Jun 28, 2008
  5. Sheila

    U*U Guest

    U*U, Jun 28, 2008
  6. Sheila

    Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:33:54 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Sheila
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    > raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS

    Nospam and Paul have pointed out the DNG => ACR route. If you only want the
    very basics of NEF conversion, there is a Nikon plugin that should do this.
    Look at the View NX package. You might also consider 3rd party converters
    such as Bibble. Bibble Pro has a stand alone program and a PSCS2 plugin.
    , Jun 28, 2008
  7. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    Sheila, Jun 29, 2008
  8. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    N wrote:
    > "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
    >> D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    > Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.

    I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.
    Sheila, Jun 29, 2008
  9. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    U*U wrote:
    > "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    >> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3269
    >
    > The most recent version 3.7 would include previous cameras like the D200
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=1&platform=Windows

    Yes, I guess I'll do a trial of Nikon CaptureNX, then decide whether or
    not to get that or CS3.
    Sheila, Jun 29, 2008
  10. Sheila

    N Guest

    "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >N wrote:
    >> "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    >>> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    >> Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.
    >>

    > I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

    Good idea. Make sure you check out some tutorials on NX as it's quite a
    different procedure, but the results can be fabulous.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/
    N, Jun 29, 2008
  11. Sheila

    Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:14:28 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Sheila
    <> wrote:

    >N wrote:
    >> "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
    >>> D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    >> Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.
    >>

    >I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

    Many Nikon D300 users got a free copy of NX 1.x with the camera. Are you
    sure you aren't one of them?
    , Jun 29, 2008
  12. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:14:28 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Sheila
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> N wrote:
    >>> "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >>> Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.
    >>>

    >> I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

    > Many Nikon D300 users got a free copy of NX 1.x with the camera. Are you
    > sure you aren't one of them?

    It's a 30 day trial which I'll start after the fourth of July when I'm
    not quite as busy as I am now. That way it will give me a chance to
    really concentrate on it.
    Sheila, Jun 29, 2008
  13. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > In article <Shi9k.6105$>, Sheila
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    >> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    > camera raw includes a dng converter which can convert the d300 raws to
    > dng, which can then be opened by cs2. other than that, you'll need to
    > get cs3 or elements.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Where is the dng converter?
    Sheila, Jun 30, 2008
  14. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Sheila wrote:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
    >> D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    > Glossary first:
    > ACR = Adobe Camera Raw, PS/CS's raw converter plugin
    > DNG = Digital NeGative open raw format
    >
    > Use Adobe DNG converter which comes in the ACR converter download as a
    > second file. Mix & match: you probably need the latest DNG thing from
    > ACR for CS3 and an older ACR thing which is compatible with CS2.
    >
    > I do this for a D200 on CS1 & delete the NEFs, saving the DNGs. The only
    > thing you lose is the ability to use Nikon's converter. Camera companies
    > aren't software companies so that's not a big loss though some say their
    > converter performs better it still stinks from a user's standpoint.
    > Don't encourage them. All raw converters but the camera manufacturer's
    > will work on DNG.

    Thank you, I've decided to try the 30 trial for capureNX and compare
    it to Photoshop CS3, I have Photoshop CS2 now.
    Sheila, Jun 30, 2008
  15. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    N wrote:
    > "Sheila" <> wrote in message
    >> N wrote:
    >>> "Sheila" <> wrote in message

    >>> Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.
    >>>

    >> I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

    > Good idea. Make sure you check out some tutorials on NX as it's quite a
    > different procedure, but the results can be fabulous.
    > http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/

    I will. Thanks for telling me about them.
    Sheila, Jun 30, 2008
  16. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:33:54 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Sheila
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
    >> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS

    > Nospam and Paul have pointed out the DNG => ACR route. If you only want the
    > very basics of NEF conversion, there is a Nikon plugin that should do this.
    > Look at the View NX package. You might also consider 3rd party converters
    > such as Bibble. Bibble Pro has a stand alone program and a PSCS2 plugin.

    Thanks, I going to look at captureNX and consider upgrading to Photoshop
    CS3, I have CS2 now.
    Sheila, Jun 30, 2008
  17. Sheila

    Sheila Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Sheila wrote:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
    >> D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

    > No. So,
    >
    > 1) Upgrage to CS3, or
    >
    > 2) IF CS2 reads DNG then DL the Adobe DNG converter and convert the
    > Nikon raw to DNG.
    >
    > and
    >
    > CS4 will be out this fall (maybe), I'm not sure what the upgrade offer
    > from CS2 to CS4 will be.

    Thanks for your reply.

    I'll either get captureNX or upgrade to Photoshop CS3. So, CS4 may
    come out this fall, it seems that the new versions come faster and faster.
    Sheila, Jun 30, 2008